• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds - Guide Books (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Can anyone suggest a good guide book. You wil probably all have a good laugh but I am still using The Shell Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland 1992 but now I am a lot more into birds I am sure there must be many better ones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ann Chaplin

"RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe" by Rob Hume is excellent! I have the Collins as well but find the illustrations a bit clinical. The Rob Hume book has real photo's, so if your new, I've only been serious for the last year, it helps a lot.

Not laughing at all, Ann. Apologies to everyone else for beginning to sound like a tape loop, but the Shell guide still has the best text of any field guide. Get the Collins and/or Jonsson for the illustrations and Europe-wide coverage, but don't throw your Shell away.

I have the Collins guide and the Jonsson (which was all the rage a few years ago) but I still take the Shell guide out with me.

You should treat yourself to the Collins guide, though, because it is very good.

I was going to recommend the Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification by Harris, Tucker and Vincombe, for all those confusing birds. But it appears to have gone out of print. Amazon offer second hand copies for £50! There was a cheap edition for a couple of pounds at one time.

The Shell Guide has had its critics on Bird Forum, but it is pretty good for many species. Collins Guide is the biggest advance on it.

Picked up a second copy of the Macmillan Guide for about £3 in a remainder bookshop a few years ago as a bargain not to be passed up. Can't believe it is worth £50 now though.

Stephen.

I have the Collins , an excellent book , and the Macmillan Field Guide to North Atlantic Shorebirds , fabulous photography and good text as well .

Ashley.

Thanks for all the replies it looks as if I should treat myself to the Collins, will definitely look at the other ones as well.

Stopped buying magazines when I joined BirdForum no time for reading any more "joke" but sadly true, I find this more entertaining, informative and the nicest people I have met in a long time.

Thank you all again.

Ann

Apologies for joining this one late, but I think that there are more options out there than have been debated thus far. One option, of course, is to treat yourself to several field guides. Another is to leave the field guide at home & take a notebook instead (see thread on the "taboo" of using field guides).

If you've got the "Shell Guide" and don't intend to go abroad, then there really isn't a good utilitarian reason to get a new one; it will do nicely. However, I'm not convinced that the text is, as Jason opines, better than the Collins Guide and the latter certainly has much superior plates. However, if you're a relatively inexperienced birder then the non-British/European birds/rarities in the 'Collins' can be very confusing. This is where the Shell's relegation of rarities to the back pages is such a good idea. Having long and wistfully hoped for a European version of the Shell Guide, I now find myself hoping for 'Britain only' version of 'Collins' with rarities accommodated in the back. (I have a copy of the Shell Guide that includes birds from central & northern Europe birds, but it was only published in German & Dutch).

There's no doubt that the 'Collins Guide' is the best available if you're a keen twitcher who travels abroad, but if you don't fit this category ……...? If you stay in the UK and don't twitch then, as noted above, it has drawbacks. I'd look at the Kightley's "Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain & NW Europe"; a good text, big maps, detailed UK distribution/population notes, more than adequate illustrations and all the birds you're likely to see in the UK without twitching. The relatively few non-UK birds are not so many as to confuse. It is also, as the name suggests, fairly pocketable.

The Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification by Harris, Tucker and Vincombe is, of course, brilliant so get it if you can. (However, don't confuse with the later Macmllan "Birder's Guide" with which it shares an artist and which is the same size. This book too is brilliant, but is aimed at the unless 'heavy duty birder" who visits the Middle East).

Rob Hume's "RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe" is by far the best photographic guide around, but in my opinion photos (even 'real' ones!) are still markedly inferior to the current crop of illustrated field guides. Don't just take my word for it, but ask most birders! However, if photos are your thing then this is the one to get. Personally I prefer the 'RSPB Handbook of British Birds'. It's not really designed as a field guide, but has good quality illustrations, good ID notes and masses of information.

I'd also recommend the flawed, but brilliant 'New Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain & Europe". The plates are superb with all plumages shown and birds at all manner of angles - as the are wont to appear in the field. Peter Hayman's style is not to everyone's taste being obsessionally detailed, but his illustrations alone challenge the Collins Guide for accuracy. It covers European species but has less therein to confuse (although it omits a few of the 'commoner' rarities). Text is good too. You'll just have to pencil in lengths (bizarrely omitted) and forgo the luxury of decent maps! It's greatest advantage is that you can pop it in a shirt pocket. Having been birding for many years I never carry a field guide in the UK (except when leading groups) on the basis that either I ought to be able to identify what I'm watching OR I ought to be taking notes & sketches. However, I do take this little guide along with me when abroad and some of the common birds are unfamiliar. John

bird book

A CHAPLIN said:
Can anyone suggest a good guide book. You wil probably all have a good laugh but I am still using The Shell Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland 1992 but now I am a lot more into birds I am sure there must be many better ones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ann Chaplin
ann the best one to get is the r.s.p.b birds of britain and europe book
price is 16,99 phone0870 606 6333 u can order over the phone
best of luck dj

The Collins and the Jonsson are both VERY fine books. If you want a british only guide then the RSPB Handbook of British Birds is excellent. Besides the field guide bit it has loads of general information about each bird, feeding conservation population etc. If you want something pocket size then The Kightley et al Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North West Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back