• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey Nest Failure (1 Viewer)

changing9

An osprey nest that I have been watching for over 15 years has, this year, apparently failed. (It is in the Callander/Menteith area). There was a lot of activity in early April but no sign now of life in or around the nest. Indeed, yesterday, a greylag goose landed on the eyrie and spent 15 minutes stomping around the rim, occasionally dropping into the nest and re-appearing after a few seconds.

I wonder if the very cold, wet Spring caused the eggs to be unviable (if, indeed, any were laid) or if there has been human interference.

Does anyone else have evidence of normally productive osprey nest sites being unproductive this year?

Thanks Ben. I hadn't heard of that kind of competition before. I hope it's not a sign of things to come at this site as both greylags and Canadas are increasing year by year.

..have just heard that the guys at Argatty reckon that over 50% of the red kite nests they have been monitoring have failed this year. Fortunately raptors are relatively long-lived animals and an occasional poor breeding season is not a serious p0roblem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back