• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 UK Orchids (2 Viewers)

Is this another microclimate effect? Frog Orchids do seem to be affected by weather or something much more than other species.

Maybe?

Those shots were from the most developed plants and none had 'gone over', so surprising to hear of reports of some being past their best when this colony hasn't peaked yet.

It was north facing for what it's worth and about 200m up approx.

Marford Helleborines

I went to a couple of local sites today to see how the Helleborines are doing.
At Marford Quarry the GFH are in tight bud, but found too few of them. Last year there was a nice group of them sheltered by a low spreading branch. Now that branch has gone, exposing the area, and most of the GFH there look as if they have been grazed by rabbits. Otherwise only occasional spikes seen.
The BLH in woodland about a mile away are only just starting to come into flower; just the lowest ones in about 1/10 plants - another week or more needed there.

One of my favourite local spots (Totternhoe Knolls - near Leighton Buzzard) is still producing some great sights. Went up last weekend and in one spot I could have dropped a 1 metre quadrat and recorded 5 orchid species within it!
Common Spotted
Common Twayblade
Musk
Pyramidal
Bee

The Man Orchids are long gone, but apparently there is a Frog there although I couldn't find it.

The Bee's are in good health still with the Pyramidal and Musk in their prime.

Still well worth a visit to anyone.

On a seperate note for anyone in the area, the field opposite Heartwood Forest main entrance (north of Sandridge, St Albans) has the most amazing display of Poppy's Ox-Eye's and Cornflowers I have ever seen. No orchids but stunning nonetheless (see last pic)

Superb photos Rafe, and I love the wild flower meadow. No time to go up to Totternhoe this year, will have to save it for next year.

I also get fed up of hearing unsubstantiated reports of orchids being 'dug up' or 'stolen'; in my experience orchid enthusiasts (like me and you) are much more of a problem due to trampling of surrounding vegetation (and presumably also young or non-flowering plants). The posts that I have used as examples also demonstrate the real threats: the Burnt Orchid site is being grazed at the wrong time (i.e mismanagement or no management), the the Woodstock Bee Orchid site will soon be a housing estate! (habitat destruction).

Simon Harrap

Nice to hear these words from you Simon and I heartily agree. Mike ( the young hunter) is also right in that like minded souls give and receive information and get in touch with each other which can't be a bad thing. I have had some really superb tips from others on the forum, and I must say it's a reall buzz to be given a site location and then actually find them!

Burnts on Ladle Hill

I called the HIWWT office on friday and talked to Trevor Codlin there. he and his colleague are both writing emails to NE about the grazing and subsequent destruction of the burnt orchid colony on the hill. If anybody in the forum has been up to Ladle Hill and knows the site, or if you would just like NE to know how you feel about these things, Trevor has advised me to write to [email protected] putting Ladle Hill into the subject space.

I have only joined this forum relatively recently, but have noticed a strong tendency for posts to be needlessly cryptic

This has been discussed in previous years... and by discussed I mean argued, with much flouncing on both sides ;)

I find it simpler to keep the peace by not posting locations. As you say, a few minutes of Googling can you usually get you the location anyway.

To be honest, I don't think it's the orchid enthusiasts that are likely to be the problem; it's the folks that come in by random internet searching.

I imagine that most orchid enthusiasts will know that uprooted plants are unlikely to survive... and also that they have a copy of your excellent book listing the sites anyway!

This has been discussed in previous years... and by discussed I mean argued, with much flouncing on both sides ;)

I find it simpler to keep the peace by not posting locations. As you say, a few minutes of Googling can you usually get you the location anyway.

To be honest, I don't think it's the orchid enthusiasts that are likely to be the problem; it's the folks that come in by random internet searching.

I imagine that most orchid enthusiasts will know that uprooted plants are unlikely to survive... and also that they have a copy of your excellent book listing the sites anyway!

You have summed up my thoughts exactly - in fewer words than I would have achieved. Thanks Adrian - I have been trying to plan a reply and you have done it for me.

I'm on a work trip to Scotland end of July and looking at a day off with the thoughts of trying for Irish Lady's Tresses. I'll have limited time so won't want to go off the mainland. If anyone can advise me on a precise location for one of the mainland sites if 'public' I'd be very grateful. I've looked on Hebrides before but too early I think. I'm assuming around 2 Aug would be about perfect according to Simon's book. (Glad you have found the forum Simon, and note your points about site details, it's all about site conservation and knowing what's growing where etc to hopefully put effective management in place.). Often find these 'secret site' are overrun with dogs and kids on bikes causing far more damage than anything else....)

Thank you for any information

Matthew

I'm assuming around 2 Aug would be about perfect according to Simon's book. (

Wow, wouldn't it be great if plants followed the calendar that precisely?! My impression (and i think that of others) is that most things seem to have been running a week or two early this year, perhaps more at the start of the season.

Whilst at a conference on the outskirts of Bolton this week I was pleasantly surprised to find a good stand of Broad-leaved Helleborines growing along the side of the main road at the edge of the retail park! Unfortunately only had my phone with me.

Attachments

• Broad-leaved Helleborine3.jpg
    Broad-leaved Helleborine3.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 112
Wow, wouldn't it be great if plants followed the calendar that precisely?! My impression (and i think that of others) is that most things seem to have been running a week or two early this year, perhaps more at the start of the season.

I'm fixed with 2 Aug. I'd have thought the west coast would be more predictable but times based on recent rainfall. Speyside Small-whites were just coming out on 13 June and Moray Coral Roots were in full flower, I'd have guessed about average?

Some of you know that I spent a considerable time last year looking for Chiltern ghost orchid, and am doing so again this year.

I am currently seeking information about the precise soil type for the Herefordshire site/s, and wonder if anyone has any information on this that they could share.

Many thanks
Joanna

Hi Joanna

The soil in all the Herefordshire sites is mainly acidic as Mike says. I'm without Internet at present so can't look up more info at present.

Sean

Alyn Waters update

We promised an occasional update on the flowering status at Alyn Waters Country Park, as it is a long way from many members on this forum.

We visit most weeks and the position this (Monday) morning was:

(1) Common Spotteds and Common Twayblades present in very strong numbers, but now passing or past their best. Neither of the Rhodochillas were seen this year.

(2) Dune Helleborines just coming into flower, with plenty still in bud - should be good for a fortnight, I should think.

(3) E.Phyllanthes (various "flavours") in bud - perhaps a week away from opening, in so far as they ever "open".

(4) For those who are interested, and because it can be seen as a bellwether for other things, we were delighted to find several groups of Yellow Bird's Nests. We counted 50 plants quickly in a small area, and there were doubtless others - encouraging, as i feared that numbers would be down this season.

We can help with detailed locations for the various species for anyone who requires help.

Martin and Elaine

Alyn Waters update encore

Just back from AWCP myself. Can add that a few Fragrant Orchids are just opening out. I think they are Heath FOs, but need to have a good look at the photos and the books.

The Yellow Birds Nest is coming up late this year. In 2013 it was more impressive three weeks earlier.

I'm on a work trip to Scotland end of July and looking at a day off with the thoughts of trying for Irish Lady's Tresses. I'll have limited time so won't want to go off the mainland. If anyone can advise me on a precise location for one of the mainland sites if 'public' I'd be very grateful. I've looked on Hebrides before but too early I think. I'm assuming around 2 Aug would be about perfect according to Simon's book. (Glad you have found the forum Simon, and note your points about site details, it's all about site conservation and knowing what's growing where etc to hopefully put effective management in place.). Often find these 'secret site' are overrun with dogs and kids on bikes causing far more damage than anything else....)

Thank you for any information

Matthew

Hopefully you will hear from someone with more local knowledge than mine (N.Wales!) but I can let you have details of a couple of Scottish mainland locations which have proved fruitful in the past and where we found just a very few plants (1!) last year. We were a fortnight later than you plan to be, but as has been said, things do seem generally earlier this season.

Martin

Last edited:

On the whole I agree with Adrian too, but unfortunately some orchid enthusiasts have very big feet - and don't mind trampling to get a good photo.IMG_1922 (480x640).jpg

Marsh Helleborines looking at their best today in the sunshine, although a few were trampled here too

IMG_1931 (480x640).jpg

Just back from AWCP myself. Can add that a few Fragrant Orchids are just opening out. I think they are Heath FOs, but need to have a good look at the photos and the books.

The Yellow Birds Nest is coming up late this year. In 2013 it was more impressive three weeks earlier.

Hi Steve

The Fragrants at Alyn Waters are Marsh Fragrants - the dense spire-like spikes and late flowering are good indicators.

Mike

Hi Steve

The Fragrants at Alyn Waters are Marsh Fragrants - the dense spire-like spikes and late flowering are good indicators.

Mike

The spikes are anything but dense. Quite unlike the MFOs I saw at Northwich the other day. Will post pictures later when I have reviewed two days worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back