• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (2 Viewers)

A great morning at the Cap de Ses Salines today with so much laughter that my sides hurt. The locals are such good company. Over 20 Marsh harrier, I lost count of the Black kite amid the banter but it was more than seven. Several groups of Bee-eaters heard and two Eleanora's Falcons. No Hobby or Honey buzzard yet but they will follow on soon. The Knot is still at Maristany. Mike

Temmink's Stint still on salt pans at Colonia Sant Jordi today. This afternoon passage of raptors south included at least 6 Booted Eagle, 4 Red Kite, 1 Marsh Harrier and one Montagu's Harrier. Also 2 Raven. There looked to be a build up of raptors late afternoon so maybe a good movement out to sea tomorrow?

More migration at the Cap today with good numbers of Marsh harrier and Black kite. Also some groups of Bee-eaters through, up to twenty in one group. Mike

I was at the Cap from about noon to 14.30. Peregrine, Eleanora's, Marsh Harrier, Booted Eagle and Red Kite plus small parties of Bee-eater and a single Alpine Swift. Nearby Thekla Lark and Redstart.
Stint sp at Salinas de Colonia Sant Jordi - looks like a Temmink's with dark legs!

Arrived in Puerto Pollenca at lunchtime. Crikey it's hot! Visited the centre at La Gola and received a warm welcome! Sadly, but not unexpectedly very little was active in the heat. Walked the Bocquer Valley with my daughter & prospective son in law, but even at 5pm it was still stiffling! 3 booted eagles (inc 2 together) and 3 Eleanora's were the highlights, with a nice male redstart and obliging hoopoe in the pine avenue to round off a day that required several beers to cool down!

Stew

Last edited:
Boat trip to Cabrera yesterday, sadly very little Warbler activity, heard but didn't see Balearic and had tantalising glimpses of what was probably a Moltoni's.
On the plus side Osprey and Eleanora's showed well, good views of Cory's on the way over - but no Balearic- and an unexpected Storm Petrel.

Late afternoon what was almost certainly a Honey Buzzard dropped into the canopy on Cap design Salines.

After dropping off the long-suffering Mrs B in Alcudia for the market I headed off to Son Real. There's clearly been an arrival of pied flycatchers along the north coast, I had 15+ at Son Real with up to 3 at each of the Depuradora, S'Albufereta and the pine avenue in PP. Son Real also gave me a tree pipit - a Mallorca tick for me. The hide on route 4 at Son Real was really good value, once things had come back (you can't get into it without flushing everything from the pool). Crossbills were constantly in the surrounding trees but seemed reluctant to come down to drink, as were two turtle doves. Two corn buntings were surprise visitors, and a Hermann's tortoise lumbered down to the water's edge.

Nearer the beach I had several glimpses of a wryneck in low pine scrub, and upwards of six thekla larks were in the dunes. Two two-tailed paschas swept through the pines.

I had lunch while standing on the viewing platform at the Depuradora, enjoying two more pied flycatchers and groups of hirundines coming in to drink on the wing - along with a couple of common swifts.

At the Albufereta there was a great white egret viewable from the new platform. Nearby on the drying-out pool between the mound and the road there were several waders, including a nice juvenile Temminck's stint (poor photo attached), a dunlin and four Kentish plovers.

Stew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 65
Are least one Roller still by the roundabout outside Colonia Sant Jordi this evening.
At Cap des Selines this evening Skops Owl and Stone Curlew heard but best if all Nightjars calling and in flight.

Thanks Rob, nice to have met you today. Glad to know that there is still one Roller at the roundabout, as you know Manny needs that one and will hopefully connect tomorrow if he has not already done so.
Nice one with the Nightjar, I often hear and see them there. Enjoy the rest of your time here.

Cuber 7th sept.

1 Tree Pipit
1Pied fly.
Yellow wags.
2 Wryneck
1Redstart
1 Griffon Vulture
3 Black Vulture
1Black-necked Grebe
Saw several Blue Rock Thrush and wondered if it is too late for Rock Thrush?

With all of these nice birds being reported I'm pleased to say that everything (flight, car and lodgings) is now sorted, ready for my arrival next Tuesday at midday. Once clear of the airport I'll be heading to s'Albufera to settle in, followed by a quick visit to a couple of the hides and then some essential shopping!
Moths will be taking priority but I still hope to get some good birding in.
Martin

Saw several Blue Rock Thrush and wondered if it is too late for Rock Thrush?

Hi Mark
Probably not as there was a record of one on 18 September in 2013 (the last record I have access to). Perhaps the latest Balearic Bird Report will have more up-to-date details (available from Lupe at La Gola - see thread on previous page). The main problem is that there are only a few birds and they are fairly well scattered up in the mountains.
Martin

Last edited:
Spent a nice four hours or so at Mortitx yesterday (Wednesday). There was a fair bit of action on the walk down to the winery, with firecrests, blackcaps, chaffinches and a "growling" nightingale all in evidence. At least three wrynecks were callng, with one eventually showing pretty well. A couple of whinchats were in the small grassy field.

In the valley proper, redstarts were in evidence with at least eight in total, and there were at least three more whinchats. Three or four cirl buntings and a couple of blue rock thrushes were nice too.

Crossbills were calling in the small pine wood just after the resevoir, but were proving difficult to see. Just beyond the wood about a dozen crag martins were around the crags.

Raptor-wise, two black vultures appeared at about 9.25, and then nothing until 11.15 when three more black and two griffon vultures drifted over. Also at that time three Eleanora's falcons were circling low over the reservoir. No eagles though..

Stew

Great Kevin, I hope we can meet up although we have got family for the next two weeks. Hopefully I well be able to slip away.
Migration at the Cap de Ses Salines has been rather slow all week, the weather is so hot and humid with hardly any wind.
Black kite have come through in good numbers, the usual high numbers of Marsh harrier have passed together with groups of Bee-eater, a couple of Hobby, some Alpine swift and two Golden Orioles.

Had a nice long morning at S'Albufera today. A juvenile little bittern was in reeds near the entrance & another juv was fishing from a reed-stalk where the entrance track dog-legs over the bridge. Moustached warblers were active here with at least two going in and out of the reeds. There were seven stone curlews at Sa Roca, with geenshank and snipe, and 5+ marbled ducks with the large flock of eclipse ducks.

Near the main bridges there was a pied flycatcher, and a male little bittern flew from the dense reeds. Another moustached warbler was in reeds here. At Es Cibollar II an osprey was eating a larg-ish fish, and a great white egret was there too.

A curlew sandpiper was on a pool behind the reeds along the road from S'Albufera to C'an Picafort.

I had lunch on the viewing platform at the Depuradora. Here there were several green and common sandpipers, two greenshank and a single wood sandpiper. A purple heron dropped into the reedbed, and a cracking red-rumped swallow was with the hirundines ovr the sheep field.

Stew

Thanks StewB for your posts, brave going out in this heat but some nice birds there, a few Red-rumped swallows have been reported, mostly from the depuradora, they are never common here. Little bittern always nice to see, good to know Marbled duck are around, many visitors want to see them, thanks.
Three Honey buzzard through the south early this afternoon.
No other news for now, a bit quiet still, a good storm would liven things up a bit. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back