• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED 10x32 (1 Viewer)

EnjoyTheView

Zeiss Terra ED 10x32

I received my 10x32 Terra ED binoculars, the Under Armor edition, from the super sale for $170. This was an outstanding deal I think. I confess I just bought then because the price seemed so good based on the information I could find on this line. Packaging was excellent, definitely robust enough to be mailed some distance. Everything arrived shipshape.

Overall these are a very good binocular and if you can get them for $200 or close I think most people will be happy. Fit and finish is very good. The hinge and the diopter were a bit stiff, but I prefer that so they don’t move. I use them with my glasses with eye-cups fully embedded, the IR was good enough for me; my lenses are small and I can get binoculars pretty close. The diaper loosened up after a few twists and then stiffened up after some rest time, so it's probably just grease keeping the tension.

I compared them with the Nikon Monarch 7 10x30, and they compare pretty close.

I prefer the M7 for it’s smaller size, as well as its soft armor which is so comfortable. The Zeiss rubber armor ‘may’ be more durable in the long run, but i have no way to know right now.

Optically I also prefer the Nikon, as they are sharper and their image has more natural colors. If you’re subject is to far though the sharpness of the 10x probably is not discernible. The colors of the Zeiss are warmer and very pleasant, I think many may prefer the Zeiss look. I let a passer by try them and they could not see any difference, so someone just buying them for casual viewing without experience it seems may not notice, but it’s quite easily discernible to me.

The FOV is close, but the Zeiss was wider, I didn't check the specs, but from observation it was small enough that it didn't matter to me in this format. This was with my eyeglasses.

I didn't have much of a chance to observe CA, but they both seemed similar on a couple objects against an overcast sky. A small green tinge. I can't declare a winner here yet without more viewing time.

I don’t have much else to report. I didn’t try the harness they came with, but I like that the objective covers are tethered to the binocular, but the Nikon approach appears more elegant to me.

If you are thinking about purchasing the Zeiss and find them for a good price they are definitely worth a look. I think they would be a great starter or possible upgrade pair for someone for general nature observation.

It also makes me appreciate just how well the Monarch's are because they are noticeably smaller with superior performance.

Nice review ETV! Thanks for sharing.

I would have expected a wider FOV with the Nikon Monarch 7 10X30. I wonder if the eye cup is out a little bit more in relationship to the eye relief on the M7 and that is preventing the full field of view.

I have an M7 in the 8X30 and the Terras in the 42 and assuming the color balance is consistent across the lines, I know what you are saying about the somewhat warmer balance with the Terra. Over time, I have drifted more toward preferring a natural balance, but the Terra is close enough and gives a nice view.

Thanks. Maybe I got the two mixed up when I got interrupted by the passerby. I will check the FOV again, as the passerby was using the binoculars with the eyecups extended and I had them embedded. I may have forgot to restore one pair when I did the critical measurement.

Thanks. Maybe I got the two mixed up when I got interrupted by the passerby. I will check the FOV again, as the passerby was using the binoculars with the eyecups extended and I had them embedded. I may have forgot to restore one pair when I did the critical measurement.

I checked again, and for my IPD anyway I have a slightly wider view with the Terra ED, but it is pretty small and probably not a practical difference in most cases.

I noticed that at times, but not always, the Terra can seem noticeably brighter than the M7, but not always, and the extra brightness does not seem to be that big of a benefit given the advantages of some of the M7 image qualities. I suspect the light transmission spectrum would be noticeably different between these two and account for why at times they seem brighter, but not always.

I was surprised though that both the Terra and the M7 were noticeably less bright than the Canon 10x30 IS II binoculars, and also the Canon were noticeably sharper than either of them. This I guess comes down to Roof vs. Porro. If the size and weight of the Canon and the increase in cost is not an issue, the Canon seems like a great 10x30 with the added image-stabilization it further distances itself from the others. The size of the M7 though is very compelling, even though the size and weight of the Canon is not that significant compared to historical offerings.

I think the real winning attribute of the Terra binoculars is their contrast. They may give up some resolution and color fidelity, but their high contrast really makes some scenes pleasant to look at and can help separate the different elements in a scene and in a small way enhances a '3D' like perception I think, even though it is slight. I can see many liking the colors and contrast of the Terra for nature viewing and sports viewing if precise accuracy is a lower priority.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back