• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

I never knew that (I've never bought a Day permit for Cley). That's exceedingly odd. I can't think of any other reserve that does that!
Holme Bird Observatory, Norfolk Ornithologists' Association is the same: Non-members, day permits 10am to 5pm. Members have dawn 'til dusk access.

Best Wishes
Penny:girl:

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Water rail - 6 on fresh marsh today
Bittern - 1 in flight from Patsy's reedbed towards Autumn Trail this morning
Kingfisher - 1 in pools by main path
Hobby - 1 hunting around the reserve today
Wheatear - 1 in off the sea this morning

An early warning of a change in the reporting of reserve records. After 15 years working for the RSPB as warden at Titchwell, I will be leaving the RSPB next week to take up a new role.
At present I don't know what will happen with the daily sightings but the team are working on a way to keep everyone informed about what is happening on the reserve.

Thank you for all your support and feedback over the years, it has been much appreciated.

Paul

Paul
Many thanks for your reports each day. As someone who lives some distance away and visits when possible your reports have always served to give a view of what is happening when not in Norfolk - Thank You.

Phil

After 15 years working for the RSPB as warden at Titchwell, I will be leaving the RSPB next week to take up a new role.

Paul.

You never did send me an application form to join the PEAS, guess it's too late now. Anyhow, congratulations on your new appointment, Titchwell's loss is .......'s gain.

Last edited:
Paul
Many thanks for your reports each day. As someone who lives some distance away and visits when possible your reports have always served to give a view of what is happening when not in Norfolk - Thank You.

Phil

No problem, I'm pleased it has been of interest to you

Paul

Titchwell September 5th

Today's highlights

Turtle dove – 1 singing in the carpark this morning
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 12 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail - 3 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell September 6th

Today's highlights

Great white egret – 1 in reedbed this morning then flew east.
Ruff – 55 on fresh marsh
Stonechat – juvenile in dunes by main path
Great skua – 6 offshore
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail - 3 on fresh marsh this afternoon
Black tailed godwit - 196 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - female on Patsy's reedbed

Paul

Three Caspian Gulls at Cley tonight, two adults and a sub-adult on Simmond's Scrape, plus at least 8 Yellow-legged Gulls of various ages. Also still two juvenile Curlew Sandpipers, 4 Green Sandpipers, and 3 Knot amongst the many Black-tailed Godwits and Ruffs. Noctule Bats were also seen this evening (and Harvest Mouse by ETM), as well as Water Rails and Hobby.

Hi Paul. I had my first trip to Norfolk this year and your sightings were really helpful. Thanks for all your time and effort.

Rich

PS Titchwell didn't disappoint:t:

Titchwell September 9th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl – 1 hunting over saltmarsh this morning
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Manx shearwater – 1 reported west offshore early afternoon
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 7 over the reserve
Spoonbill – 9 on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 5 on fresh marsh this morning
Hobby - 1 hunting the reserve throughout the day

Paul

Titchwell September 11th

Today's highlights

Little stint – 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull – adult on fresh marsh
Manx shearwater – 1 east offshore
Great Northern diver – 1 offshore
Med gull – 4 on fresh marsh

Paul

Possible, but I think most will have moved on. It might be worth checking directly with the centre as the reserve is usually only open March to August so there is a possibility everything will be shut when you get there.

I`m hopefully up in Norfolk late September, any chance the Stone Curlews will still be at Weeting Heath ?

John.

Titchwell September 12th

Today's highlights

Manx shearwater – 10 offshore
Great skua – 10 offshore + 6 ( 3&3) high inland over the reserve
Little stint – 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 2 on fresh marsh
Great white egret – 1 reported on saltmarsh
Wigeon – 27 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 over the reedbed on 2 occasions at least
Black tailed godwit - 175 on fresh marsh