• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help with bird ID in London (1 Viewer)

Ivy

Dear All,

A friend of mine on Facebook has seen some small birds in a park behind her estate on Wandsworth Road, in a small park called Heathbrook. It has a longish neck, and a rather thin, fragile physique. She would like to know what kind of bird it is, but she doesn't have a camera or phone. She made a sketch of it. I've gone through the RSPB bird ID guide with her and we can't figure out what it is. A summer migrant perhaps? Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Ivy

Attachments

• mystery bird.jpg
    mystery bird.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 187
Thanks Andy and Deb, I tried pied wagtail and other kinds of wagtail including juvenile wagtails. She said they were really thin, and hop and wag.

Last edited:
Without pictures or very detailed illustrations this is hard. The closest thing I could come up with is a Nuthatch.

Last edited:
Thanks very much! It looks like it's a pied wagtail juvenile or a white wagtail juvenile.

They are the same species Ivy. The Pied wagtail we get here are a subspecies of the White Wagtail seen on the continent (occassionally here). Your friend actually provided pretty good fieldnotes, description of the walk etc and the drawing does have the gizz of a wagtail!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back