• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Magic Roundabout (2 Viewers)

I'm just amazed how busy your patch has been with the sheer variety of raptors showed up. Carry on the magic Mike! Wishes from the Eastern PRC.

Many thanks Dev. Actually I was a bit bummed to miss a raptor today - found a decapitated and partially plucked adult male Grey-backed Thrush in a ditch on the Northern Edge - looked like the work of an accipiter sp., but never had a sniff of it, despite twice going round the site today.

Today's birds were much the same as yesterday (sans Greenish Warbler), with the securing of a reasonable shot of the White's Thrush being the major highlight. I also managed a five thrush day - adding Chinese Blackbird to the White's Japanese and Grey-backed Thrushes on the Roundabout and a distant Blue Rock Thrush on the golf course.

Summary of Q4 2013

What a quarter its been on the Magic Roundabout! The total of 83 taxa seen in Q4 is:
  • more than a third more than the record for any previous quarter (54 in April-June 2013)
  • one species shy of double the number of species in each of the other three quarters (42 in each) and
  • most amazingly, just six species shy of the 89 birds seen in the whole of my first reporting year!

An superb 25 additional taxa have been added to the list, including a potential first record for Hong Kong – Gray’s Grasshopper Warbler – provided of course it is accepted. These additions have come in a constant stream and include such goodies as Geoff Carey's Little Curlew on the golf course, the unseasonal Grey-faced Buzzard being mugged by the Large-billed Crows, plus Grey Bushchat, Bull-headed Shrike and Black-backed Wagtail.

This was the first year when a documented movement of Mountain Tailorbird occurred throughout Hong Kong and the bird on the roundabout helped to confirm the movement. Looking at families I’ve now seen eleven thrushes, nine flycatchers, seventeen warblers since I started recording here – but still not a single bunting!

So why was this quarter so good? One reason is the greater recording effort. My 35 walks round the patch were a dozen more than in the next-best-covered period. The five species of ardeids perched on the silt curtain in the bay (visible from the train and bus) has certainly helped with the numbers, as did the number of birds in the Eastern Tangle, which I only began covering in earnest in October.

As for distribution of birds across the site the Grassy Verge has been less productive than the previous autumn as the few trees have grown up and reduced the openness of the lawn, while the long grass on the Core Area was certainly instrumental in pulling in and holding the Japanese Quail, and one of the Lanceolated Warblers. Conversely, the clearance of fallen trees has left the wooded part of the core area lacking in hiding places and rather bare (I'm hatching a plan to reverse this), and most of the thrushes have been elsewhere - particularly on the tangles and the Northern Edge.

Many thanks to everyone who has read and/or contributed to this rather odd thread - one of the few patches anywhere where a key element of the habitat management is to limit its attractiveness to birds (to reduce the risk of aircraft collisions).

Best wishes , and especially good birding, for 2014

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2115 Grey-backed Thrush (retd. hurt) @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2115 Grey-backed Thrush (retd. hurt) @ RDBT.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2112 White's Thrush @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2112 White's Thrush @ RDBT.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2109 Wryneck @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2109 Wryneck @ RDBT.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
A relatively quiet start to the new year with 21 species recorded. Many of these were the resident species and once again the thrushes were the highlights, with the male Japanese Thrush and three or four Grey-backed Thrushes playing hide and seek in the Tangles and the Northern Edge. I also noted that the body of the GB Thrush found on the Northern Edge on Tuesday had disappeared, so presumably I'd disturbed the unseen hunter, who came back to finish of its meal.

The trio of regular phylloscopi (Pallas's Leaf, Yellow-browed and Dusky Warblers) were once again present in ones and twos, as was a female Daurian Redstart, three Olive-backed Pipits and one Richard's Pipit and I picked up both Great and Little Egret on the silt curtain on the way in.

The regular residents included both Chinese and Crested Bulbuls, Crested Myna and Black-collared Starling, a couple of leucopsis White Wagtails, eight or so Japanese White Eyes, a couple of Magpie Robins, a flyover Tree Sparrow, and the calling Large-billed Crows. Less regular but presumably resident species included a Long-tailed Shrike eating a flying insect on the sea wall and a Cinereous Tit (the proper name for our Great Tits) on the Eastern Tangle.

Cheers
Mike

A bit more quality today as only the second Red-flanked Bluetail I've had here - the last one was back in February 2013 was foraging along the edge of the drainage ditch on the grassy verge. An Osprey was again perched photogenically on the North Runway approach lights against a backdrop of passing ferries and fishing boats, and in between A White's Thrush skittered across the road from the Eastern Tangle to the Core Area.

The rest was not too different from yesterday, with three or four Grey-backed Thrush, including two queuing up to drink from the ditch on the Eastern Tangle and singles each of Pallas's Leaf, Dusky and Yellow-browed Warblers, and I had another go at capturing a decent shot of one of the four OBPs.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2199 OBP @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2199 OBP @ RDBT.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2190 Dusky Warbler @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2190 Dusky Warbler @ RDBT.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2228 Osprey @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2228 Osprey @ RDBT.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2217 BF Bluetail @ RDBT.jpg
    IMG_2217 BF Bluetail @ RDBT.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 83
The highlight of a quiet round Monday lunchtime was seeing the Osprey - this time in flight - from the seawatching point. I once again saw four Grey-backed Thrushes but had no other thrushes and only Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers.

Little Ringed Plover was a good one for the new quarter on the golf course, as were four or five Scaly-breasted Munia in the Western Tangle, while a flock of five OBPs was a new high count for a single flock, although two birds in the core area might have been additional there's no way to be sure.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Yesterday was again pretty quiet although I did add the Wryneck, Japanese Thrush, Great Egret (flying by the sea watching point) and Common Sandpiper to the list for this quarter, bring the total to 30.

Other bits and pieces included five OBPs, 100-odd Tree Sparrows, the usual four or five Grey-backed Thrushes, a Chinese Blackbird and two Black Kites on the landing lights jetty where the Osprey has been hanging out.

Cheers
Mike

Another couple of outings that represent the hard yards of patch listing yesterday and Monday lunchtime.

Despite looking hard there were no Grey Herons, Night Herons or Reef Egrets on the silt curtains from the bus, while the Roundabout itself seems to have queitened down - perhaps a reflectio of the decline in avaliable water during the dryest part of the year.

I have had a new high count for a single flock of OBPs - six were on the Grassy Verge and I did connect with a Blue Rock Thrush on Monday and the male Japanese Thrush yesterday, but other than that I'm looking forward to a change in the weather.

Further afield . . .

Beyond the patch the story has been rather different. Quitting Lantau for the second time in a week I returned to Kadoorie Farm (KFBG) - which made up part of my old patch in the Lam Tsuen Valley - in pursuit of the first twitchable Barred Cuckoo Dove in Hong Kong for more than 20 years and just the fifth or sixth record ever.

I was delighted to connect with this wonderful bird, which has been gorging itself on an ilex towards the top of the farm every day this year. Sunday was no different, and it put on a fine show for the 30-odd assembled birders and photographers at the very civilized hour of 11 am.

KFBG was in the form of its life, also hosting a first winter male White-throated Rock Thrush, which I dipped (but having had one in Ng Tung Chai a few years earlier this was not the end of the world) and no less than three Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrushes. I saw the lone female at the helipad, where it showed well enough for a reasonable pic, and a bit lower down picked up a Blue Rock Thrush that posed superbly for pix - I'll put up some shots this evening.

More to come

Reconvening the Lam Tsuen Records Committee Dylan and I drove down to Kam Sheung Road Railway station where John Allcock, who writes the Mai Po thread, had found a Long-billed Plover in a particularly scumbreacous drainage channel. Just about as rare as the Cuckoo Dove this was a superb discovery that bears witness too always saying alert for the possibility of a good bird. Even more astounding a potential Blyth's Pipit (also less than 20 HK records) was also found in the same ditch!

The plover, which I hadn't seen since 1994(ish) showed superbly exactly where we got out of the car and peered over the parapet. It was foraging in loose company with a few Little Ringed Plovers allowing for a good comparison of the slightly larger size, longer and slightly drooped bill and the black edged brown collar.

The ditch turned out to be pretty productive - with Richard's and Red-throated Pipits as well as an ocularis and several leucopsis White Wagtails, four or five Yellow Wagtails the two sinister-looking Shovelers in the pic below and the odd Common and Green Sandpipers knocking about. Dusky Warbler and a female Daurian Redstart simply added more icing to the already very rich cake.

With the Chiffchaff still at Long Valley there were three birds with seven or less records each within a 10 km radius. HK hasn't had a week like this for a very long time!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Friday was birder on the Roundabout with the Japanese Thrush, the White's Thrush and the Wryneck all on show and the latter even posing for a couple of shots. That apart the usual three or four Grey-backed Thrushes and the female Daurian Redstart showed briefly and a Great Egret flew by the sea watching point.

Cheers
Mike

New for the quarter yesterday was a fine adult Black-crowned Night Heron that was hunkered down on the Eastern Tangle and politely dropped down onto a branch that gave at least a partial view. The White's Thrush was here again too.

A Common Sandpiper on the sea wall - totally unfazed by the trains, planes etc - was also a first record for that part of the patch.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2722.JPG
    IMG_2722.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
The bird highlight today was an underwhelming Spotted Dove to add to the list for the quarter, but the monster - and long awaited - mammal addition was two Chinese White Dolphins from my seawatching point!

I'm delighted by this because I saw dolphins in this approximate area two summers ago from a boat and have heard from researchers working on the dolphins that they are regularly recorded here. It's also encouraging because there are substantial reclamation works going on very close to this area for the brdige that is being built to Macau, and this work is expected to drive the dolphins away from these waters.

The sighting today was of two dolphins - a fine pink adult and a much smaller and greyer youngster, which was not more than 1/3 the length of what was presumably its mother.

Other birds included 8 OBPs, two Yellow-browed Warblers and two Grey-backed Thrushes.

You've waited a long time for a second mammal on this thread Dev - I hope the qality makes up for the delay!

Cheers
Mike

Pix are likely to take a little longer Kevin, but hopefully not another year.

Thanks Dev - unfortunately they did not show up again today but I had another highlight for the patch - no less than 80 Heuglin's Gulls floating out in the sea lane off the end of the North Runway. They were a huge distance away and it was only by maxing out the zoom and then expanding the 50X image was I able to see enough to confirm that they weren't Black-headed or (slim chance) Black-tailed Gulls, and were my 32nd species for the quarter. I left the camera at the office, butI'll put the pix up soon.

Other good birds were a female Blue Rock Thrush perched on a streetlight next to the seawall, fly-away views of the White's Thrush, a couple of Grey-backed Thrushes, single YBW and Pallas's Leaf Warbler, moderate views of the Wryneck, and on the golf course a couple of distant White-cheeked Starlings (also confirmed with the superzoom were the second new species for the quarter.

Cheers
Mike

Three more new birds for this quarter today - four Grey Herons were on the approach lights to the South Runway and a Common Tailorbird was in a mixed flock with a couple of Cinereous Tits, four Japanese White-eyes and a Yellow-browed Warbler.

I also had the male Japanese Thrush and a couple of flush-away Grey-backed Thrushes on the Eastern Tangle and a couple of Heuglin's Gulls remained from yesterday's flock of 80 on the sea to the north of the airport.

The alboides x leucopsis White Wagtail also showed for the first time this year on the Northern Edge.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Heuglin's Gulls @ RDBT .jpg
    Heuglin's Gulls @ RDBT .jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2843 Crested Bulbul @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_2843 Crested Bulbul @ RDBT.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2851 Blue Rock Thrush @ RBDT.JPG
    IMG_2851 Blue Rock Thrush @ RBDT.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2885 Alboides x Leucopsis White Wagtail @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_2885 Alboides x Leucopsis White Wagtail @ RDBT.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
A tour of the roundabout under leaden skies in 9 centigrade temperatures kicked off with 8 Scaly-breasted Munias in a tree on the grassy verge, a record 30 Japanese Whiteyes, 25 of which were feeding on the nectar in the Calliandra haematocephala in the Core Areaand another high count - this time nine OBPs - which came up off the lawn. The first of four Grey-backed Thrushes zipped into cover behind the calliandra hedge but little else disturbed the roar of traffic until I crossed to the Eastern Tangle and disturbed another couple of Grey-backed Thrushes and the Japanese Thrush.

The Northern Edge held a couple of Pallas's Leaf Warblers and my first Dusky Warbler for a while but here was nowt to ben seen from the sea watch point, and I had to be content with a single Common Sandpiper and two Richard's Pipits on the golf course.

Off patch, but still on the airport, a tour yesterday of the new concourse that is currently under construction delivered two Long-tailed Shrikes, a Blue Rock Thrush on the frame of the building and a Plain Prinia in the weeds next to the security checkpoint.

Cheers
Mike

Maybe I missed this is a previous reply (I scanned most of the comments, but alas, I did not see anything)...is the roundabout and/or the golf course accessible without leaving the confines of the airport/security?

I have a 2-hour layover on both ends of a holiday to Vietnam next month, so some birding would be a great way to pass the time.

Cheers

Hi Danysloan

The whole of the Magic Roundabout area is outside the security zone, so access would be a problem for you as a transit passenger.

I was back on-site for the first time in over a week and . . . it was really end-of-winter quiet. The highlights were four Heuglin's Gulls and a Little Egret from my sea watch point and a bunch of Silky Starlings feeding on the waterlogged patch of lawn near the filling station (seen from the bus) and single Grey-backed and Japanese Thrushes plus a Pallas's Leaf Warbler flushed up from the Eastern Tangle.

Other than that it was pretty quiet except for a few Crested and Chinese Bulbuls and Japanese White-eyes washing in a ditch, two Richard's Pipits on the golf course and a calling Yellow-browed Warbler.

Cheers
Mike

My worst day on the Roundabout for thrushes this winter - with none seen and only two heard was made better by a Heuglin's Gull over the golf course, nd three tantalisingly unidentified hirundines that were almost certainly Barn Swallows seen heading NW out to sea from the sea watch point.

I also had two more gulls here. One looked like an adult Heuglin's as it landed on the water next to a smaller dark gull on a piece of flotsam. This was barely identifiable as bird sp before it took off and flew off on rather slender-tipped wings - still looking all-dark. I strongly suspect this was a first winter Black-tailed Gull, but the distance was just too great and the light too poor to confirm. Dip. Bummer.

Other birds that did show included two Spotted Doves and the Long-tailed Shrike plus two Olive-backed Pipits on the Grassy Verge, 20-odd Japanese White-eyes shrilling in the tree-tops and another 4 OBPs on the Northern Edge, where the leucopsis x alboides White Wagtail popped up on the sea wall with a couple of leucopsis White Wagtails.

The golf course also held a Richard's Pipit and a Common Sandpiper, but not the Oriental Pratincole I'd hoped for (Geoff had one on the airfield last week).

Cheers
Mike

This cold weather has meant that the winter has hung on this year at the airport. I had at least four Grey-backed Thrushes, including a pair that appeared to be getting frisky on the Eastern Tangle, a female Blue Rock Thrush on the sea wall and the usual gaggle of 25 plus Japanese White-eyes. I also had a calling Eastern Great Tit and decent views of one of the resident Common Tailorbirds.

The highlights of the day were a Barn Swallow that flew past me and away over the carpark as I stood on my elevated watchpoint that overlooks the golf course (Richard's Pipit and Common Sandpiper) and adding not one but two gulls to the patch list, as I picked out a single Black-headed Gull (113) and a couple of Black-tailed Gulls (114) among the dozen or so Heuglin's that were loafing offshore.

Today was also wash-day for the Crested Bulbuls, and several of them allowed close views and a few pix as they waited for me to pass to get back in the water.

Smartest bird of the day was the leucopsis x alboides White Wagtail, who was posing in full formal rig on a bright green patch of grass near the Asiaworld Expo bus stop.

I'll post some pix tomorrow if I get a moment.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
There were no more gulls from the sea watch point today, but Barn Swallow passage continued with two passing over the roundabout, which was visible from my colleague's office during a mid- morning meeting.

New for the quarter was a Cattle Egret on the golf course that stayed around exactly long enough for me to see the hint of orange-buff breeding plumage starting to emerge on the back and crown before it took off and disappeared.

Yes I caught the leucopsis x alboides White Wagtail in flagrante delicto with a leucopsis White Wagtail on the northern edge. His name is now officially changed to Wicked Willie. It could have been worse - its offspring from last year's breeding season - readily identifiable by the rogue cheek patch, was on the core area.

Other bits and pieces included seven OBPs together on the grassy verge yesterday and six today, at least three Grey-backed Thrushes on the tangles, a dozen Silky Starlings on a waterlogged patch of grass on the way out yesterday evening and half that number this morning, while Large-billed Crow, Black-necked Starling and Spotted Doves all put in an appearance to keep the numbers up.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3422 Crested Bulbul mugshot @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_3422 Crested Bulbul mugshot @ RDBT.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3503 Wicked Willie @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_3503 Wicked Willie @ RDBT.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3506 Wicked Willie - mega 'tache @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_3506 Wicked Willie - mega 'tache @ RDBT.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3515 Wicked Willie Mk II @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_3515 Wicked Willie Mk II @ RDBT.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3536 Mrs WW @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_3536 Mrs WW @ RDBT.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 148
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back