• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where the **** is my bike? (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Good fun day today with interesting bits. Went looking for the Scaup at Bank Island, which is part of my local patch. Biked out there (7 miles each way) and was pleasantly rosy but had already seen Tree Sparrows in the hedgerow. Arrived at Bank Island, next to the Yorkshire Derwent. Not a sign of the Scaup but plenty of other ducks including Mallard, Pintail, Gadwall, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Wigeon and Teal. Also coots and Moorhens kicking about. Lots of tufties on the far side of the flood and too far to distinguish with my binoculars (need to get that scope). Decided to head round to Wheldrake Ings, all of 200 yards away. On the way round heard a flapping in the woods that seperate the 2 reserves, sounded like a Woodpigeon that was stuck. Had a look in for it and it was... underneath the smallest male Sparrowhawk in the world. The pigeon was nearly twice its size. Was only about 8 feet away on the road but the sprawk wasn't moving. Arrived round the corner and the car park was flooded. Went over the river and chained my bike up whilst Lapwing, Curlew, Grey Heron and various Corvids flew over. The Ings were so flooded I could only get to one hide so not a lot of waders. Long-tailed Tits, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Chaffinch and Dunnock were in the trees with two year birds, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a stunning male Reed Bunting. Other birds seen at the Ings included Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull, Shoveller, Goosander, Canada Goose, Greylag and a presumed feral Snow Goose. Saw all the regular species as well with a day total of 42. Not too bad but got back to my bike and some pillock had chained the gate my bike was locked too over the side of the bridge over a very flooded River Derwent. Nightmare, spent the next 30 mins trying to get my bike back without dropping it, my lock or my keys in the raging torrent below. Managed it thankfully but im gonna strangle whoever did that!! Then it started raining. Oh well. Felt better when i got home.

Last edited:
And if it makes you feel any better; great report and a laugh as well. We all have those days when you think "what next" so chin up!

John.

Good report! I'm just glad that the person that did it, didn't show up while you were trying to retrieve your bike. I can imagine as they say in the Scots detective programmes, "Thurs been a murrdur"

The worst that has happened to my bike is the pump got nicked. How sad is that! Always carry it everywhere after parking up now! Paranoia?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back