• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buteo...one that nearly got away.....or? (1 Viewer)

KenM

London, SW Essex July 3rd, whilst filming was interrupted by phone call, problems arose, and the clip was forgotten about, however subsequently found it this am, unfortunately these are the best shots I could grab. comments welcome. Cheers

Attachments

• P1120033 (2) Honey Buzzard 3.7.15.jpg
    P1120033 (2) Honey Buzzard 3.7.15.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 333
  • P1120046 (2) HB 8..jpg
    P1120046 (2) HB 8..jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 276
  • P1120047 (2)  HB 7..jpg
    P1120047 (2) HB 7..jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 154
  • P1120053 (2) HB 3..jpg
    P1120053 (2) HB 3..jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 183
  • P1120041 (2)  HB 9..jpg
    P1120041 (2) HB 9..jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 143
The head looks quite small relative to the body, and the wings as AllanM suggested quite long, almost gull like. The upperparts (first shot) look interesting, will try and procure more grabs later.

cheers

CB being mobbed by gulls - putting a little extra into the wing strokes and you are grabbing the odd angles.

Ignoring the gulls (why break the habit of a lifetime...?), this looks like a CB to me too. Overall shape, of tail in particular, wrong for Honey. Head/neck looks a little pointy in 1st image but probably an effect of distance and exposure, and effort.

Ignoring the gulls (why break the habit of a lifetime...?), this looks like a CB to me too. Overall shape, of tail in particular, wrong for Honey. Head/neck looks a little pointy in 1st image but probably an effect of distance and exposure, and effort.

agree on CB although some pics suggest HB

CB being mobbed by gulls - putting a little extra into the wing strokes and you are grabbing the odd angles.

Here are three blow-ups (first three) from three different angles, consistently showing a smaller head than one might expect from CB, and a longer tail than one might expect on the third image? And for good measure here's a classic example from directly beneath.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1120033 (2) Honey Buzzard 3.7.15 for enlargement..jpg
    P1120033 (2) Honey Buzzard 3.7.15 for enlargement..jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 179
  • P1120046 (2) HB 8. for enlargement..jpg
    P1120046 (2) HB 8. for enlargement..jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 183
  • P1120052 (2) HB 4. for enlargement.jpg
    P1120052 (2) HB 4. for enlargement.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 121
  • P1110145 (2) HB 2..jpg
    P1110145 (2) HB 2..jpg
    111 KB · Views: 173
  • Bop 2.Geneva.jpg
    Bop 2.Geneva.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Hmm, the new (4th) image looks more like a Honey in one of its typical flight positions than the others! Head does look pointy but its hard to know how much significance to give this when the images are SO tiny and noisy - I mean, they're even worse than some of mine ;). Don't think there will be a definitive ID from these. Still think balance of probabilities suggests CB (isn't that a pale breast band in one image?). You mention 'filming' - is there any video?
Brian

Hmm, the new (4th) image looks more like a Honey in one of its typical flight positions than the others! Head does look pointy but its hard to know how much significance to give this when the images are SO tiny and noisy - I mean, they're even worse than some of mine ;). Don't think there will be a definitive ID from these. Still think balance of probabilities suggests CB (isn't that a pale breast band in one image?). You mention 'filming' - is there any video?
Brian

Will attempt to show the video, in the interim however, I only viewed the bird through the camera viewfinder, thus on replay today I was "struck" by the head shape and wing length, never having seen CB with such attributes, suffice to say that the latter are on show most days "outback".

Cheers

FWIW...the '' variable wing geometry'' of a passing Buteo video clip for consumption!

It has been suggested that the shots are ''noisey'', I have to agree, although this doesn't alter the perceived structure of the wings/tail, which are nonetheless subject to much ''aerial'' movement during flight mode.

The head shape however is IMO a much more reliable feature to consider, on the shots where the head is ''noisely'' seen, it can be no ''arte-factual'' coincidence, that it is of a shape that might best be described as always looking conical, or that which would fit neatly into an Isosceles triangle, quite the opposite of Buteo buteo, which fits neatly into a Bowler hat!

I would consider that head shape is indeed ''set in stone'' and demonstrably different when comparing the two candidates, supporting features being determined by flight variability and observer subjectivity, thus on balance I would suggest that the Buteo's candidature is weighed more towards HB than CB.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/hk8MmGh5MFs

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back