• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonamanzi (1 Viewer)

paul5000paul

Does anyone have any info on day visitor arrangements at Bonamanzi? Also any updates on Lemon-breasted Seedeater (Canary)there.

Many thanks.

Paul

Does anyone have any info on day visitor arrangements at Bonamanzi? Also any updates on Lemon-breasted Seedeater (Canary)there.

Many thanks.

Paul
Stayed here a few years ago target birds were Rose-breasted longclaw African Broadbill and one of the twinspots. The driver we hired was brill as were all the guards really but this lad drove up and down a piece of stubble field half the size of a football pitch for near on two hours insisting we would get the RBLongclaw . My patience were beginning to run out when the bird popped up on a tuft of stubble Brill! I enjoyed Bonamenzi and don't remember having any problem with logistics. Ndumu is worth a visit when are you going?

Hi Paul,

Not sure when you are going, as I see your post was last Oct?

Was there at the end of Nov. last year. We just turned up on spec. went to the offices and booked a night at the campsite. We had it to ourselves. We were also allowed to walk around and night drive with our own 2WD vehicle on our own, which seemed contra all other similar places! (the reserve does have elephant)

Unfortunately we didnt see the Canary. As per the birdfinder, the best areas are supposed to be the wetlands from the entrance and western edge of the reserve where there are a couple of hides and a walking trail. Was hot dry and windy during the morning we tried, and we had no luck. It is still there though and said to be one of the most accessible places for it in South Africa.

We also tried the Lala Palm areas in Mkuze as per the birdfinder. There are only very limited palms, it didnt seem like as good a site for them. nb. there seemed to be quite a few Monotonous Lark in Mkuze this spring, which are a little out of their usual range. Also the Fig Forest Walk was closed, and appeared to have been for a little while.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys

I went in late December. Bonamazi was excellent. They let me in for the day after I emailed them directly but they would certainly have not if I had just turned up out of the blue! I stayed next door at the Bushbaby lodge for about £17, Bonamanzi is an expensive place to stay, camping aside.

Saw Lemon-breasted Canary (actually abundant along dirt road between highway and main gate), Green Malkoha, Pink-throated Twinspot and Rosy-throated Longclaw. The latter on the floodplain for which you need a guide and driver but very reasonably priced (about £20 for 3 hours). I hired a guide called Steve, who was very enthusiastic and helpful.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Interesting, well done on getting the Canary.

It looked quite fancy round the main lodges. The campsite was reasonably priced though (165ZAR pp), nicely set in the forest, and empty apart from the Bushbabies and Fiery-necked Nightjars!

We did see the palms the other side of the entrance but it was heat of the day both times we went past them and wimped out of another walk around for the Canary. May have given it a bit more of a push if we had that gen.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back