• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Although not in the league of some of the rares around over the weekend(well done the finders) 2 Adt Kittiwake at Pentney GP's this afternoon was quite pleasing, and a patch tick too.

Paul - is this an unusually high number of Knot for mid June?

Hi Phil

It seems to be something that has been quite regular in recent summers. All the birds are in 'winter' plumage so I assume they are 1st summer birds that haven't returned to the breeding grounds. They will probably stay for the winter and head off to breed next year

Paul

Did you manage to get some good photos after I left you Penny.

John

Twitched the Roller from Trimley Marshes – a seriously crazy double twitch! Must be one of my best day's ever!!! Still there at 9.30pm. Thanks to Connor for the call, others who helped to re-find it and Steve G. for the lift! I can't really put today into words!!! I am so happy I could cry!

Full update and pictures on blog - well a couple this evening. Only just home at 11pm.

Penny:girl:

Went for seconds, then thirds and even fourths of the Roller today! Although always distant it was great to watch it in a more relaxed manner, with good flight views, the occasional roll and feeding flight to the ground, marvellous!

I did have a patch tick at the weekend, just in case people were wondering(!) in the form of a Common Tern! I won't make any comments about breeding birds there, particularly schedule 1 birds, considering the conversations that have been going on on here (I'm just glad I don't have any hides on my patch!) Isn't it lucky we've had a Roller to take our minds off it!

9km from my abode, as the Roller flies. I do believe a couple walked from their house in Holt. Less than 100m from the car, to view. Can’t be bad. Another distant shot; this time, showing the underwings.

Indeed we did, 3km each way, picking up at least four singing Woodlark en route!
MJB

Managed to get to the Roller this evening, with kids in tow! A fabulous bird and one I hope will stick around long enough for me to have at least one more trip out to see!

Did you manage to get some good photos after I left you Penny.

John
Nice to see you John. I did get a much better shot, but too utterly exhausted to take photos off camera, edit and put on various, usual sites after twitching the Roller from Felixstowe and then twitching the roller again this evening! Pictures will be on the net tomorrow along with my roller shots, unless of course something else turns up tomorrow night. I actually hope not, as I need a rest, can't handle the pace with work aswell!

Penny:girl:

i went for the roller last night and after a nervous hour it finally showed, it really is a stunner but unfortunately was too disrtant to get anything but record shots. I id grab a bit of video which isn't too bad despite th lack of light and the distane involved.

http://youtu.be/v8bJPFa6fzk

Titchwell June 18th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 6 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 10 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit – 127 on fresh marsh
Knot – 1000 roosting on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair in reedbed

Water vole – 1 showing well on dragonfly pool

Paul

Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to allow me to use your images of the Roller in my personal rarities album?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Are you wanting to get a shot printed or just use it on your PC? I have a few record shots of the bird that will be ok on a computer screen but won't print up great. You'd be welcome to use if they are any good to you - record shots attached...

Attachments

• IMG_9190.jpg
    IMG_9190.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9194.jpg
    IMG_9194.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_9207.jpg
    IMG_9207.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9222.jpg
    IMG_9222.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 126
It’s not all dune and gloom, Phil.

It could expose (!) more habitat for the next rare lark, rather than some larking about.

Although it might be difficult now to tick small cormorants and parus! Can recall birding Holkham in the depths of December (geese, waders, buntings et al) and encountered a jogger in the woods with a waterproof coat, running shoes and nothing on in between! :eek!:

Last edited:
...and did you live happily ever after?:-O
MJB

Trust me it was the briefest of encounters! Whilst I am sure there are nudist groups who defend their rights etc I am also sure such activities do attract a less savoury fringe. In another Holkham recollection I can remember myself and then girlfriend being followed through the pines by a man wearing just a towel in a rather worrying manner; he only stopped when we reached the safety of the Washington hide.

Willow Tit at Titchwell?

Just been following up some extralimital Willow Tit records in BirdTrack. In doing so, I noticed that I had an 'interesting' one in my own account, from Titchwell 25/03/1995. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any supporting notes.

Anyone know if such a record was likely/possible 18+ years ago (I realise it certainly isn't now!)?

Last edited:
Just been following up some extralimital Willow Tit records in BirdTrack. In doing so, I noticed that I had an 'interesting' one in my own account, from Titchwell 25/03/1995. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any supporting notes.

Anyone know if such a record was likely/possible 18+ years ago (I realise it certainly isn't now!)?

Hi Nick

There is a record in the reserve database of a bird present throughout 1995. It was seen on the 3rd, 9th, 19th and 29th of March

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back