• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Has anyone looked through or handled these? I recently ordered a pair since Optics Planet had them on sale. They should be here just in time for my trip to Southern Indian next weekend. I'm assuming they are just slightly retooled Pro Guide HD which were very solid for their price, optically. The only complaint I had with the Pro Guide HD I tried was they felt mechanically 'cheap' as compared to a few similarly priced options, something I hope the new BX4 designated models will rectify.

Got them in this morning. First impressions are favorable; very well built and rugged as per the Leupold motto. Very stylized neckstrap, case, and armoring; the "Guide" aspect of these binoculars is their focus it seems.

First impressions from about 30min of viewing are very positive. Sharp, sharp, sharp. Not much noticeable CA and trust me, this is something I'm very particular about. The FoV doesn't seem particularly wide at 7degrees, but the entire field is usable even though the edges are not perfectly flat. No chance to gauge glare/flare issues as it is not particularly sunny out today.

I've looked through and owned many of the current and yesteryear's alphas and it just amazes me how close these (and many others in the $500-1000 price range) are to them.

Has anyone looked through or handled these? I recently ordered a pair since Optics Planet had them on sale. .......

Got them in this morning. ........

Justin ... Which model did you end up with?

Leupold shows the following on the web site ....

- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 12x50
- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x50
- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42
- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 08x42
- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x32
- BX-4 Pro Guide HD 08x32

Justin,

I finally received my Leupold "Mojave BX-3 8x32" replacements (sent in end of April this year for warranty replacement). All of the new BX-4 Pro Guide HD's became available this past summer, but for what ever reason, the 8x32's were delayed till now (still made-in-Japan). Not sure what power\size you obtained, but have to agree with most of your findings!

I've just had these in hand for a few days, but they compare favorably to the discontinued Mojave 8X32 (re-purchased this summer when Cabelas had deep discounts). Although I still find the old non-HD 8x32's offer an easier comfort level of viewing (maybe due to wider FOV and lack of perimeter angular distortions), the new "HD calcium-fluoride" coated optics of the BX-4 Pro Guide HD take the sweet spot image to another level! Sharpness, resolution, color fidelity and clarity are approaching Alpha level quality!

For birding, I've not found any optics that are faster in focus, just 1\2 a turn from CF to 100m or so. I need some more usage to get accustomed to their speed, as I seem to easily overshoot my focal points and have to move slowly to get there. HERE is the spec page and my on-line review!

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back