Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B

Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 14:36   #426
mulligatawny owl

I only had the CL for a day so really can't say anything about it's flare resistance at all, I didn't notice anything untoward in my short time with them.
To be honest I just took an almost instant dislike to them, well, not dislike as such but I knew straight away that they just wouldn't suit me. You might find quite the reverse though.

Just comparing my SF's to the Pocket Victory just now and amazingly the daylight view is almost identical apart from FOV and a little less bright. They are way brighter than my Bushnell 7x26.
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 14:43   #427
mulligatawny owl

Ease of view way better with the Zeiss and my glasses over CL, very easy relaxed, wide view, no trouble at all. Without glasses you might find CL better though.
Again, can't say much about CA in the CL as I didn't have them long enough but certainly not noticed it in the Zeiss so far.
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 14:50   #428
mulligatawny owl

Should also say that I'm pretty sure the Zeiss are sharper than the CL I had. Though take that statement with a pinch of salt as I've often changed my mind or been wrong about sharpness in the past unless comparing bins directly A-B.
I feel bad now, dissing the CL in its own thread! Don't really mean to , it's just subjective, others might much prefer the CL over the Zeiss.
Hope that helps Cfranchi.

Last edited by mulligatawny owl : Thursday 7th March 2019 at 14:53.
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 15:24   #429
cfranchi

Well I’ll have to compare by myself ��
Thanks
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 16:09   #430
cycleguy

All,

Just wanted to post some information/experiences regarding the CL Companion since I last posted which has been some time ago.

OK, I didn't sell it after all and still have it...

As you already know, but likely don't recall, I purchased the urban jungle package and found that I wasn't content with the strap in that package. I had purchased the EL loop connectors to use with a standard strap but found they were not compatible with CL companions (pin size issue). So, set everything aside for some time.

Happened across a post on another forum the other day showing how to modify the EL loop connectors to work with the CL pins ... and then found another post that Swarovski will send pins and loop connectors that are compatible with the CL. So I gave them a call.

Found out that the CL is sold as a package only and CL straps and cases (northern lights, wild nature, urban jungle) are not available individually at this time. So, be certain to choose the package that is going to work for you as you will not be able to switch out among them.

Found out the EL pins (longer than CL pins) are compatible with the CL Companion binoculars using the EL loop connectors and SONA customer service sent those out to me pronto. A+ this go around for SONA customer service.

Found out the hinge end cap w/ Swaro logo (objective end) is held in place with black max loctite. Mine fell off some time ago; I will re-attach myself as I do not want to send them in for such an issue.

I now use my CL's with the old CL strap (when I prefer comfort), the pocket CL strap (when I prefer minimalism), and strapless (when I prefer no strap at all). The field pro system works well for this; changing strap scenarios can be done quickly and with little fuss and no re-adjustment of the strap necessary.

CG
Old Wednesday 29th May 2019, 19:51   #431
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
..............I now use my CL's with the old CL strap (when I prefer comfort), the pocket CL strap (when I prefer minimalism), and strapless (when I prefer no strap at all). The field pro system works well for this; changing strap scenarios can be done quickly and with little fuss and no re-adjustment of the strap necessary.

CG
Nevertheless looks like a lot of unnecessary hassle simply because Swarovski wanted some special strap system to make things look "exclusive". I can well do without such extra challenges and attach my preferred type (like one by Optech) without needing extra support from the binocular manufacturer.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Wednesday 29th May 2019 at 19:54.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th May 2019, 16:53   #432
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Nevertheless looks like a lot of unnecessary hassle simply because Swarovski wanted some special strap system to make things look "exclusive". I can well do without such extra challenges and attach my preferred type (like one by Optech) without needing extra support from the binocular manufacturer.
Yes, it really is a matter of perspective.

Here is an amusing and entertaining perspective for consideration: With the field-pro system strap removal and replacement is a matter of seconds vs minutes. If that time savings is applied to income producing time and one changes between straps and no strap frequently/perhaps daily (like me, not you) ... then one will recoup their initial cash outlay over a period of time, which ultimately makes this a no cost/free binocular!!! Not a bad deal at all...

Open mindedness can be a good thing

CG
Old Thursday 30th May 2019, 19:01   #433
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:

Here is an amusing and entertaining perspective for consideration: With the field-pro system strap removal and replacement is a matter of seconds vs minutes. If that time savings is applied to income producing time and one changes between straps and no strap frequently/perhaps daily (like me, not you) ... then one will recoup their initial cash outlay over a period of time, which ultimately makes this a no cost/free binocular!!! Not a bad deal at all...

CG
So I presume you must be a dealer. Who else would do so many changes. And not everybody functions by a "time is money" priority. Yet, it was not even a monetary aspect I meant with my post. Peace of mind can't be easily converted into a monetary unit, but it has its subjective values that I cherish dearly.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Thursday 30th May 2019 at 19:05.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 09:02   #434
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
That switch to the field-pro system is a reason why I won't buy any other Swarovski roof in the future. I've got the CL 10x30, a relly nice lightweight pair, but I don't like having to jump though hoops to switch to a strap I like. I also know two guys who dropped their binoculars when the attachment came loose.

I still have NO idea why a company like Swarovski would introduce such a horrible proprietary system - other than to make some additional money, of course.

Hermann
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 20:06   #435
Alexis Powell

Quote:

CG
Hey, your thinking is too constrained. At a certain point, you'll actually be _making_ money from the quick strap changes! Of course, you left out one cost, which must be figured in for a true accounting: the quick-change straps are also prone to getting twists in them (impossible with conventional straps), which take time to remove.

--AP
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 21:21   #436
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
Hey, your thinking is too constrained. At a certain point, you'll actually be _making_ money from the quick strap changes! Of course, you left out one cost, which must be figured in for a true accounting: the quick-change straps are also prone to getting twists in them (impossible with conventional straps), which take time to remove.

--AP
I have a Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B that came with one of those quick change straps that are attached with flat topped pins. At first I was annoyed with it and worried about the pin coming loose and dropping off the binocular. In fact, one time it did but I caught it in time and I have been more watchful and cautious when I use it.

One good thing about it is is that it is very easy to remove tangles in the straps. Figure out which direction to rotate the strap around that little pin and the twist in it comes right out!

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 22:22   #437
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
I have a Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B that came with one of those quick change straps that are attached with flat topped pins. At first I was annoyed with it and worried about the pin coming loose and dropping off the binocular. In fact, one time it did but I caught it in time and I have been more watchful and cautious when I use it.

One good thing about it is is that it is very easy to remove tangles in the straps. Figure out which direction to rotate the strap around that little pin and the twist in it comes right out!

Bob
Uhh....sounds great. But your reply leaves me even more sure that I prefer conventional straps since they don't pop off and they can't get twisted in the first place. Swarovski needs to consider adding a stop to prevent full 360 degree rotation at the strap attachment.

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Monday 3rd June 2019 at 22:24.
Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 14:57   #438
ceasar

Quote:
Uhh....sounds great. But your reply leaves me even more sure that I prefer conventional straps since they don't pop off and they can't get twisted in the first place. Swarovski needs to consider adding a stop to prevent full 360 degree rotation at the strap attachment.

--AP
I didn't buy it for the strap. I bought it because Swarovski sold it with their new CL Companion 8x30 B which has built into its eye piece a so-called "Optical Box" that makes eye placement very easy when using the binocular and I wanted the binocular for this reason.

Swarovski didn't sell it with a regular strap.

Additionally Swarovski required the buyer to purchase one of 3 different cases to get the binocular. An odd introduction of a new binocular I would venture to say!

Fortunately, for me anyway, I find my new CL Companion 8x30 B to be the easiest binocular to use that I have ever owned. I'm not looking for another strap or case just yet.

Bob

Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 17:14   #439
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
...their new CL Companion 8x30 B which has built into its eye piece a so-called "Optical Box" that makes eye placement very easy when using the binocular...
The so-called "optical box" is good marketing. I wonder if it is also present in the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, or the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket? I always used to say that I could see through the former even when holding the bins sideways to my face (an exaggeration, yes, but a feeling based on comparative experience with other 7x42 bins), and I find the latter extraordinary for its ease of eye placement despite the small exit pupil.

--AP
Old Wednesday 5th June 2019, 14:35   #440
ceasar

Quote:
The so-called "optical box" is good marketing. I wonder if it is also present in the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, or the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket? I always used to say that I could see through the former even when holding the bins sideways to my face (an exaggeration, yes, but a feeling based on comparative experience with other 7x42 bins), and I find the latter extraordinary for its ease of eye placement despite the small exit pupil.

--AP
Hi AP,

The only place I can recall seeing the "Optical Box" discussed was on Bird Forum early in this thread by Jan Van Daalen. Gijs might have discussed it too.

Back in July 2014 I purchased a new Philippine made Pentax 9x32 DCF BC from Camera Land for $289.00. After using it a bit I found I could hold it braced against my Brow Ridge and also further back in my eye sockets without getting any blackouts. I used it as a car binocular for about a year.

That Pentax and my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B are the only binoculars I can use in that manner and not suffer blackouts. It was because of that binocular that I decided to get the aforesaid Swarovski CLC 8x30 B.

You mentioned that your Zeiss 7x42 BGATP also had easy eye placement. I have noticed the same thing while using my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL but not to the extent I do when using my Swarovski CLC 8x30 B.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 5th June 2019 at 14:45.

Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 19:11   #441
Elkhornsun

The FP attachment is an OK design but Swarovski should include their Optik strap loop connectors as well. With the standard Field Pro connection I cannot use a harness with the CL Companion binocular. The EL loop connectors don't fit so it was good to learn that Swarovski will ship them to me if I contact them.

As for standard connectors never coming loose, they have on my cameras from time to time and now I put heat shrink tubing over the ends and seal them tight. If I was worried about the FP connection I would use blue Loctite on the screws, same as I do with the tiny screws on my eyeglasses and other screws that I want to come loose only with a screwdriver.

I would not compare a $2200 8x32 with a $1200 8x30 binocular any more than I would compare a Porsche to to a Mazda. I would expect perfection from a binocular costing more than two thousand dollars. I have two Swarovski binos but the best bang for the buck are the Pentax 10x43 SCF FP for which I paid $469. In low light situations these are the ones I usually grab.
Old Monday 10th June 2019, 00:36   #442
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhornsun View Post

I would not compare a $2200 8x32 with a $1200 8x30 binocular any more than I would compare a Porsche to to a Mazda. I would expect perfection from a binocular costing more than two thousand dollars. I have two Swarovski binos but the best bang for the buck are the Pentax 10x43 SCF FP for which I paid $469. In low light situations these are the ones I usually grab.

Is this Swarovski's idea of perfection?

The latest version of the CL Companion 8x30 B is the CL Companion 8x30 B Nomad. It costs $2880.00

https://www.allbinos.com/1931-Swarov...fications.html

Bob

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 00:28   #443
FireStation1776

Sawros

New to forum here! I have a Swaro CL 8x30 and SLC 10x42

I have to look up what the differences are with the newer versions out vs. my binos.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 04:03   #444
DocSarvis

This is one reason I don’t care for the Field Pro system on the latest Swarovski binoculars. Too many hoops to jump through to use anything but a Swarovski strap. Which I don’t care one little bit for in the least! I’ve always liked the OpTec pro strap. Comfy and light. It’s what I use on my Swaro SLC8x42HD’s and I like it fine. The original Swarovski strap sits unused in the box after the first time I tried it on. I’d love a pair of 12x50’s but the Field Pro system really puts me off and after hearing about the difficulties involved, sours me even more.

Call me a curmudgeon if you will! I happily accept the title. A binocular won’t do you much good if you can’t carry it comfortably.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 14:03   #445
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation1776 View Post
New to forum here! I have a Swaro CL 8x30 and SLC 10x42

I have to look up what the differences are with the newer versions out vs. my binos.

Hi Fire Station!

Welcome to Bird Forum!

I see this is your first post here!

It looks like you may have abbreviated their designations.

Swaro earlier had CL Companion 8x30s and 10x30s. They were replaced with the current Swarovski CL Companion 8 (and 10) x 30B.

You can find pictures along with some individual reviews of Swarovski's binoculars listed chronologically in reverse here:

https://www.allbinos.com/1-Swarovski-binoculars.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 17th June 2019 at 14:13.

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 16:48   #446
yarrellii

After being blown away by the optical quality (and the customer service) of the 8x30 Habicht I tried recently, I got my eyes set on a compact Swarovski, namely the new 8x30 CL or the 8x32 EL (just like Doc Sarvis, I don't care much about the new Field Pro strap system; honestly I find it utterly unnecesary. I've never had any issue with traditional straps or strap lugs, neither felt the need for any upgrade).

I'm hesitant whether to open a new thread, and since there's some discussion about the CL here. Is there anyone with first hand experience comparing both?
At nearly twice the price, I expect the EL to offer better optical performance. I am fully aware of the law of diminishing returns, so my question is more on personal experience. For those who have tried them both: what did you like more about each model?

I have not tried the EL, only tested the CL. So, these are my guesses.
I value lightness (+CL)
I don't wear glasses, I had some issues with the view on a 8x42 Conquest HD (blackouts), and the 8x30 Nikon MHG gave me terrible kidney beaning (unfortunately, on paper is my dream binocular), I found the eyecups on the Meostar B1 8x32 too narrow and the ones on the Habicht just didn't gave me enough comfort. I love the view (and the ease of view of the 8x30 Nikon E2)
I don't think I care a lot about flat field (+CL), but I am very interested in contrast and sharpness (EL).
Personally, and I know this is irrelevant, I find the look of the CL appalling (+EL), I value understatement, and the new CL is so bling (ideally, I would like a pre-FP EL). I tested the CL and liked it, but I tend to like open bridge design (+EL).
Money is not crucial in this decision.

What are your views?

Last edited by yarrellii : Monday 17th June 2019 at 16:51.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 19:28   #447
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

For those who want the pre FP versions, there are a few EL SV 8X32s NON-FP editions out there for sale, but better jump on now or they will be gone, then you will have to go with the FP versions.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 19:49   #448
yarrellii

Andy, good advice. Are you referring to a particular place/seller?
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 02:42   #449
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrellii View Post
After being blown away by the optical quality (and the customer service) of the 8x30 Habicht I tried recently, I got my eyes set on a compact Swarovski, namely the new 8x30 CL or the 8x32 EL (just like Doc Sarvis, I don't care much about the new Field Pro strap system; honestly I find it utterly unnecesary. I've never had any issue with traditional straps or strap lugs, neither felt the need for any upgrade).

I'm hesitant whether to open a new thread, and since there's some discussion about the CL here. Is there anyone with first hand experience comparing both?
At nearly twice the price, I expect the EL to offer better optical performance. I am fully aware of the law of diminishing returns, so my question is more on personal experience. For those who have tried them both: what did you like more about each model?

I have not tried the EL, only tested the CL. So, these are my guesses.
I value lightness (+CL)
I don't wear glasses, I had some issues with the view on a 8x42 Conquest HD (blackouts), and the 8x30 Nikon MHG gave me terrible kidney beaning (unfortunately, on paper is my dream binocular), I found the eyecups on the Meostar B1 8x32 too narrow and the ones on the Habicht just didn't gave me enough comfort. I love the view (and the ease of view of the 8x30 Nikon E2)
I don't think I care a lot about flat field (+CL), but I am very interested in contrast and sharpness (EL).
Personally, and I know this is irrelevant, I find the look of the CL appalling (+EL), I value understatement, and the new CL is so bling (ideally, I would like a pre-FP EL). I tested the CL and liked it, but I tend to like open bridge design (+EL).
Money is not crucial in this decision.

What are your views?
Yarrellii,

Sounds like you are headed to EL 32 ownership. Based on owning and using various pre FP and FP SVs, I also much prefer the pre FP accessories except for the objective covers although the pre FP objective covers were the best of their type IMO. When I installed my first FP kit, I immediately took it off and used the adapter to attach a pre FP strap. However I did test recently in the field a SW 12x50 FP. While I'm still not a fan of the FP package, it is not a deal breaker and you may get used to it.

More importantly, as you have probably read elsewhere on the forum, the FP focus system has been changed/improved. The knob on my one FP version moves more smoothly and uniformly than in my various pre FP SVs. Further my later model 8x32 pre FP focus is smoother and more uniform than my earlier 8.5x42 model. And, in my late model pre FP 8x32, I do not experience excessive glare. Others have posted elsewhere that glare resistance may have been upgraded somewhat in the later pre FP 32 models (and the focus function as well?). Of course this could also all be sample variation.

So, it would be ideal if you could compare the actual examples of the 8x32s you will be considering at the same time given the sample variation I have experienced (but none of these variations are deal breakers).

Finally, I have only the previous edition CL 8x30, not the new one, so I can't comment/compare directly on that, although presumably the 32 would be better optically than even the new CL. For me, the ergonomics of the 32 are great so the slightly greater weight and size are easy to handle and well worth it considering the better optical performance.

Hope this helps.

Mike

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 06:25   #450
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSarvis View Post
This is one reason I don’t care for the Field Pro system on the latest Swarovski binoculars. Too many hoops to jump through to use anything but a Swarovski strap. Which I don’t care one little bit for in the least! I’ve always liked the OpTec pro strap. Comfy and light. It’s what I use on my Swaro SLC8x42HD’s and I like it fine. The original Swarovski strap sits unused in the box after the first time I tried it on. I’d love a pair of 12x50’s but the Field Pro system really puts me off and after hearing about the difficulties involved, sours me even more.

Call me a curmudgeon if you will! I happily accept the title. A binocular won’t do you much good if you can’t carry it comfortably.
Don't forget about the other Field Pro improvements besides the strap attachment system. IMO the armour upgrade is alone worth the diffference in price between the two. I personally would never go back to the older armour I like the feel of the new armour way better.

Last edited by [email protected] : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 06:33.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: