Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The Ukrainian Polesie. In search of Azure tit

Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 11:57   #1
laszlo111

The Ukrainian Polesie. In search of Azure tit

Hello.
For a few days I photographed birds in Polesie in Ukraine. I was able to see Azure tit in two locations. Pair and one bird in Svalovychi and one bird in Komory.
In addition, some other species have been photographed. I invite you to look at the pictures:http://szymonbartosz.pl/galeria/ptak...raina-ukraine/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sikora lazurowa 006.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	694024  Click image for larger version

Name:	sikora lazurowa 008.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	694025  Click image for larger version

Name:	sikora lazurowa 009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	694026  
Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 19:19   #2
jurek

Great bird!

Somebody should look for Azure Tit in Poland, along the Bug River at the border with Belarus. The Red Book of Belarus shows breeding observations just few 10s of kilometers east of the EU border. And I heard second-hand that a Belarussian birder regularly observed wintering Azure Tits in Brest, which is directly at the border.

This part of Bug valley is not well watched and not otherwise considered very interesting ornithologically. Especially few birders bother with watching tit flocks in winter or breeding small songbirds in swampy thickets. It is possible that wintering or even sporadically breeding Azure Tits are overlooked.
Old Sunday 5th May 2019, 06:21   #3
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Very nice photos!

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: Glossy Ibis, Western Yellow Wagtail, Wood Warbler (475)
Greater China: Buff-breasted Sandpiper, European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis (973)
Lifer: Many-Coloured Rush Tyrant, Diademed Sandpiper Plover
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 09:19   #4
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
Great bird!

Somebody should look for Azure Tit in Poland, along the Bug River at the border with Belarus. The Red Book of Belarus shows breeding observations just few 10s of kilometers east of the EU border. And I heard second-hand that a Belarussian birder regularly observed wintering Azure Tits in Brest, which is directly at the border.

This part of Bug valley is not well watched and not otherwise considered very interesting ornithologically. Especially few birders bother with watching tit flocks in winter or breeding small songbirds in swampy thickets. It is possible that wintering or even sporadically breeding Azure Tits are overlooked.
What are the rules about access to that part of the valley? I have been wandering close to the Border around Narewka repeatedly and it is legal, but my Czech licence plates also reliable attract the attention of the border guards leading to lengthy controls (which is so absurdly nonsensical - how the **** does me being Czech make me more suspicious around Belarussian border is beyond me).
Birds: world 1974, WP 561 (#1 Czech WP birder!*)
Mammals: 238
* and my wife is #3
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 10:26   #5
jurek

It should be no problem. Bialowieza area is a bit strange in this respect.

If you do search for the AT then perhaps its worth checking for patches of reeds or swampy forests on Google Maps beforehand. Most of the region is simply agriculture. And it is worth to write what you saw, even if no luck.
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 10:35   #6
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
It should be no problem. Bialowieza area is a bit strange in this respect.

If you do search for the AT then perhaps its worth checking for patches of reeds or swampy forests on Google Maps beforehand. Most of the region is simply agriculture. And it is worth to write what you saw, even if no luck.
From your post, I am still not completely sure though what you meant - do you think it's worth looking only in winter, or is there a chance even in the breeding season? If both, do the relevant habitats differ?
* and my wife is #3
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 11:34   #7
jurek

This is because I don't know myself. :) Little info is available about Azure Tit in western Belarus. I think both winter and summer are worth checking, winter is more chance but discovery of a breeding pair would make a splash. On top of it, numbers of AT vary by year, which probably affects its occurence in Poland, but to know what year is a good one you need to be in Belarus. Don't be surprised if you find nothing, though. At least it is a nice place to visit.

Last edited by jurek : Wednesday 8th May 2019 at 11:43.
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 12:58   #8
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
This is because I don't know myself. :) Little info is available about Azure Tit in western Belarus. I think both winter and summer are worth checking, winter is more chance but discovery of a breeding pair would make a splash. On top of it, numbers of AT vary by year, which probably affects its occurence in Poland, but to know what year is a good one you need to be in Belarus. Don't be surprised if you find nothing, though. At least it is a nice place to visit.
Great! I think we hijacked this report a bit, but at least it will stay up in the list :) After finally getting the Great Gray Owl I have run out of big stuff to do in Poland and I know the area in question a bit and I like it (and it's not far from Warszawa), so this seems fun. These kinds of random ideas are really why I am reading this forum in the first place.
* and my wife is #3
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: