Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

World Birdwatch / Birding World

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 11:07   #1
pduxon
Quacked up Member

World Birdwatch / Birding World

Does anyone see these and if so what do they think?

much obliged

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 12:42   #2
James Eaton
Trent Valley Crew

Hi Pete,

World Birdwatch is an excellent magazine if you are into birds from around the globe, and it offers a valuable insights as to how Birdlife International are trying to save the remaining patches of primary habitat in the world. Another good reason is that you are putting money into a great organisation, Birdlife International. Without them much more habitat and birds would be lost.

Birding World, hopefully somebody else can answer this, as I no longer subscribe, it has become to orientated on certain aspects of British Birding for me, notably some dodgy taxonomic decisions that are oftenthe main feature. Though still has some interesting articles last time I looked, and some good European coverage.

All the best

James

Website
Support the Oriental Bird Club, keeping those vagrants alive for you!
Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 19:29   #3
pduxon
Quacked up Member

thanks James

World Birdwatch turned up today. looks good and as you say its for a good cause.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 20:16   #4
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

I personally found that the 2 above publications were a little too technical for me,excellent info but lots of facts anf figures.Has anyone read the re vamped issue of "Birdwatch".I found it very good indeed.Clearly laid out,suberb images ,an excellent mag.I wish I had read the Aug copy before taking out anothers years subs to Birdwatching,as I would have opted for the former.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th August 2005, 11:39   #5
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

World Birdwatch is, as James has already said, a quarterly publication of Birdlife International. You have to subscribe to it by becoming a member of their World Bird Club. If you are in the RSPB, which you should be, then you get a greatly reduced subscription if you want, but I always send the saving as a donation because Birdlife is a very worthwhile cause.

Birding World is not linked to any charity, it is a purely for profit publication by a group of Norfolk birders. They do support a range of charities, listed in the front cover, but I do not know how much they donate. The content is mainly listings of scarce and rare birds seen in Britain during the previous month, a similar list for the western Palearctic countries, accounts of the major rarities (eg Sooty Tern in the latest issue), occasional identification articles (much more advanced than in Birdwatch and Birdwatching), and some brief accounts of birding trips to various places in the world. There are also reviews of books that cover the same fields.

Birdwatch always strikes me as a watered down version of Birding World; I used to subscribe to it but I do not have the time available for so much reading these days. I have never really bothered with Birdwatching but I understand that it is similar to Birdwatch but with more local (county) input. Both these two are, like Birding World, commercial publications.

Really, Birding World, Birdwatch and Birdwatching are all covering the same subject material but at different levels. Which one (or two) you prefer will depend on the type of birder you are.

Steve
Old Tuesday 30th August 2005, 15:11   #6
Edward woodwood

World Birdwatch - a brilliant read and conservation based.

Birding World - round up of all the rare birds seen last month (yawn) complete with fuzzy digipix but some excellent id articles from time to time. Rather obsessed with the UK scene - strange given that it's called Birding WORLD!

British Birds by far the best for me though - top id articles, plenty of stuff on ecology and conservation, reviews, etc

Tim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: