• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filming active birds with the 5D2 (1 Viewer)

Romy Ocon

I was finally able to devise a capture workflow where I can follow tiny active subjects up close without AF/AI servo. I used the 400 2.8 IS (with as many TCs as needed for reach). The IS + video head (Manfrotto 516) allow smoother panning. I also stopped the aperture way down to have enough DOF at such long lengths and very close subject distance. This bird is a mere 4-1/4" total length (so it's more than life size when viewed in HD). Subject distance was inside 30 feet, and 1600 mm was enough to fill the frame.

HD video footage of Scaly-breasted Munias (Lonchura punctulata) while feeding on grass seeds, all filmed in habitat under available light.

Capture info - Canon 5D2 + 400 2.8 IS + stacked Canon/Sigma 2x TCs, 1600 mm, f/25-f/36, 1/60 sec, ISO 640, MKE 400 mic, 475B/516 support, manual exposure in available light, Paranaque City, Philippines, Dec. 18, 2009. Ambient sound was ruined by people and motor noise so it was discarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RndnbhdsQ

Regards,

Romy

Last edited:
I was finally able to devise a capture workflow where I can follow tiny active subjects up close without AF/AI servo. I used the 400 2.8 IS (with as many TCs as needed for reach). The IS + video head (Manfrotto 516) allow smoother panning. I also stopped the aperture way down to have enough DOF at such long lengths and very close subject distance. This bird is a mere 4-1/4" total length (so it's more than life size when viewed in HD). Subject distance was inside 30 feet, and 1600 mm was enough to fill the frame.

HD video footage of Scaly-breasted Munias (Lonchura punctulata) while feeding on grass seeds, all filmed in habitat under available light.

Capture info - Canon 5D2 + 400 2.8 IS + stacked Canon/Sigma 2x TCs, 1600 mm, f/25-f/36, 1/60 sec, ISO 640, MKE 400 mic, 475B/516 support, manual exposure in available light, Paranaque City, Philippines, Dec. 18, 2009. Ambient sound was ruined by people and motor noise so it was discarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RndnbhdsQ

Regards,

Romy

Superb Romy as usual! you certainly have mastered this video stuff:t:
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back