• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BV 8x42 BR Arctic Hunter (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

Everytime I go to Cameraland NY's web site,
these binos scream to me "buy me, buy me"

From a practical standpoint, it is not often in Arkansas that I need
white camo binoculars that can stand extremes from -20 to 140 degrees F,
but I might-sometime.

Does anyone have experience with these as a tough binocular for backup when things could get rough?

edj

Everytime I go to Cameraland NY's web site,
these binos scream to me "buy me, buy me"

From a practical standpoint, it is not often in Arkansas that I need
white camo binoculars that can stand extremes from -20 to 140 degrees F,
but I might-sometime.

Does anyone have experience with these as a tough binocular for backup when things could get rough?

edj

Minox made in China binoculars (and the "BV" or "Value" series are an example) have received positive reactions from Forum members and others, and it's pretty hard to go too far wrong for $149. From my own experience, the soon to be extinct Japanese-made 8 x 32 BD BR Asph is a remarkable buy at CameraLand's present $274. The made in Japan BD BR Asph series (what Wetzlar wizard came up with these names?) were the Minox top of the line until the arrival of the HG and APO HG series, and have always been exceptional values.

White Camo

Edwin:

I think you should go ahead and try a pair of these, Doug at Cameraland is a
good sort, and to stop the screaming you need to try them.

These camo ones will allow you to sneek up and get a better peek at the Arctic terns, ;) or maybe I should call them seagulls, in your part of the world.
Either way, the Minox would be a solid bet.

Jerry

Chartwell99,

I talked with Doug at Cameraland NY and he said the BD8x32BR ASPH were as tough as the Arctic Hunters but had much better glass, so I went with the ASPHs.

Jerry,

I really do not need camo for the seagulls, and the low temp binocs can wait until the next ice age, which may be a while unless global warming really is a myth.

The screams always go away when I buy another binocular-at least for a while.

Thanks to you both for the feedback,
edj

Last edited:
the binoculars arrived today, and first light indicated that the 8x32s are every bit what their reputation says
-tough
-very good optics
-well constructed
-a very value for their price ($275 @ Cameraland NY)

edj

Chartwell99,

I talked with Doug at Cameraland NY and he said the BD8x32BR ASPH were as tough as the Arctic Hunters but had much better glass, so I went with the ASPHs.

Jerry,

I really do not need camo for the seagulls, and the low temp binocs can wait until the next ice age, which may be a while unless global warming really is a myth.

The screams always go away when I buy another binocular-at least for a while.

Thanks to you both for the feedback,
edj

The 10 x 32 version of the BDBR Asph is pretty good too, especially if you can get one at a similar price as you did the 8 x 32. It's not as good as the Leica, Zeiss, Swaro and Nikon LX L versions (I have one and I also have the Nikon) but it's a very good performer in a format that is notorious for it's difficulty to manufacture to top optical standards. It is sharp in the center 70% of the view but the edges aren't as good as the Nikon. And it has a 315' FOV at 1000 yards to the Nikon's 342'.
Bob

The 10 x 32 version of the BDBR Asph is pretty good too, especially if you can get one at a similar price as you did the 8 x 32.

Unfortunately, even at Cameraland's more than fair prices, the 10 x 32 BDBR ASPH is $75 more than its 8x sibling. Bummer.

if the 10x32 had been available for the same price, I probably would have gotten it;
but the 8x32 is a very nice pair of binoculars-I am happy to have them.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back