• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Katmai 6x32 Initial Impression/Compared to Viper HD 6x32 (1 Viewer)

David in NC

Just got a Katmai 6x32 in a bit ago from EO...the reduced price and the notion that it looks like these are disappearing made it an easy call.

I bought this set for my wife who wears glasses, is petite and has small hands. I had bought her a Zeiss 8x30 Diafun a few years ago (small body, lightweight, good "pop" in the color rendition, decent resolution) but the eye relief wasn't enough, and she's never really took to them.

I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 6x32s that I got last year from CameralandNY. I have REALLY came to appreciate the small size, light weight, wide field of view, decent sized depth of field, bright view, etc.

In fact, the Viper HDs are the ONLY set of binocs my wife seemed to like of mine, but in the field we wanted them at the same time! ;)

Tonight the Katmais arrived, and I spent about 45 minutes out on the deck with them, side by side.

DISCLAIMER-This is an INITIAL impression summary, and I fully admit I only spent a short while with them. Also, nothing here was scientific, and I am only giving MY subjective opinion.

I got out before sundown, but AFTER the sun had fell below the woods (the WOOD for my UK friends o:D ) across the street from me.

I viewed two birdfeeder stands with a total of six feeders (no birds though!) The first stand is about 25 feet from me and the second is about 35 feet. I can really judge resolution looking at different textures on these feeders (plastic, paint, seed, thistle, etc.)

Past that, I use a red wool covered "natural" birdhouse in a maple tree. The green leaves and red color and the wool fiber makes a good target for color rendition and resolution. I tried to focus on a couple of hummers out for a late feeding in the limbs (waiting to come to my feeders) but couldn't catch them before they jetted. At this point I can start judging field of view also.

Past the wool birdhouse, I use a utility pole with cables, utility lines, and a power transformer to judge brightness, color rendition, and resolution. An added treat is a previous nest hole (the term escapes me currently for wood boring nesters) in the pole. The hole is about 20 degrees from my viewing point, so I'm seeing a profile of the hole, and the pole wood is healthy enough that I can make out annual rings though the wood with really good binocs. Also, how deeply I can see in the hole leads me to believe I can judge light gathering and resolution of two binocs side-by-side.

Past this, the treeline begins, and I just view bark patterns, leaves, the occasional squirrel, rabbit, etc. Also, I like to see hour far into the treeline I can see at the base of the trees.

One other informal test I do and did tonite is viewing the rear tire of my patrol car, about 75 feet away. It always sits in the same spot, and the black lettering on the black background of the tire rubber is always a challenge.

Short review:

BOTH are good binocs!

Longer review:

Field of view-Although the specs on paper say the Katmai has a slightly bigger field of view, I thought the Viper HD appeared to, but I will continue to check on that.

Brightness-I was first going to say that the Katmai was "brighter" but after several minutes, I feel it simply has more CONTRAST than the Viper HD. I'm thinking "brightness" must be about the same (?) but the images were more clear at/just before sunset in the Katmai.

Resolution-need more time on that one... :king:

Focus-Although one school of thought holds that the Depth of Field should be the same, I'm not yet convinced... I wonder how different prisms and lens coating and barrel width affect this (?) Anyway-both binocs are capable of RAZOR sharp focus but the Viper HD isn't as "finicky" about perfectly nailing it with the focus wheel. I admit my ignorance here whether that is a product of depth of field or simply different gearing in the focus wheel...(?)

One other nitpicky thing-the OCULAR lens covers are about the same, but the OBJECTIVE lens covers provided are different. The Viper HD has soft rubber tethered covers which I much prefer. The Katmai has simple plastic caps which I call "L-Type" caps ("L" for LOSE!) :C

More testing and use is GOING to happen, but right now, I'm thinking I like the Katmai alot, and my wife will like it.

I'm also thinking that if I had the side by side and could only purchase one, I would be fine with the Katmai...

Update from more use:

Well...I did finally "locate" the additional field of view in the Katmai, by playing with the eye cups. It was NOT where I felt the eyecups should be for me however to give the most round and blackout-free circle of view for proper use.

I personally prefer the Viper HD, although I still stand by my statement from last night that if I could only buy one, and had both side by side to evaluate, I could be happy with the Katmai.

The Viper HD gives a more relaxed (if less contrasty) view, and focus isn't as finicky as the Katmai seems to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back