• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x56 vs Conquest HD 8x56 Shootout (1 Viewer)

That's a great timing.

I just bought a new pair of 8x56 and had to decide between the Conquest and the SLC. The Leica's and the HT didn't felt right at the start so I turned them aside.

It was a hard job deciding for me if which ones suited me best. The Conquest of the SLC.

In the end my decision was made based on specs and reputation.

The bins of my choice had just a few percentages more light transmission in the range visible in dusk or even darkness and thus on paper should perform better for my goal; observing badgers in dusk and (moonlit) darkness.

Als the brand of the bins of my choice had a much better reputation on their aftersales then the other brand.

So the bins of my choice were the Swarovski SLC.

Although the Zeiss impressed me a lot for € 500,00 less then the Swarovski.
The handled perfecly and there optical impression in daylight and the dark corners of the shop was almost similar.

Without hesitation I can suggest both bins for anyone needing bins in twilight.

If the aprox. 25% higher price is justified is something someone had to make up by their own.

I would blame myself if I can't see the details in dusk of darkness with the knowledge there are bins out there that can push just a few percent more light on my eyes.

Lee,
Niet interfereren in een conversatie tussen twee heren.
Gijs

Kestrel,
I have tested the SLC 8x56, although the results are not published yet. Color dispersion is very little and the unsharp zone at the edge is small. Surprising was its very high light transmission of about 95% at 550 nm.
Gijs

Mallot, post 2,
In welke winkel heb je de SLC gekocht?
Gijs

Gijs,

There is only one real binocularshop in the Netherlands right?
And fortunatly Maarssen is situated in the centre of the Netherlands.

If I remember it right, I saw a sheet of the SLC which made clear that thet perform substantial better in the > 700 nm range then the conquestas.

And that range is for me an important range since I use them in dusk or darkness regularly and the trigger to buy the SLC's and left the Conquests in the shop, although they are really nice.

When and where will you publish your testresults? I am, off course, interested in your findings.

Last edited:
Mallot,
To satisfy the curiosity of Lee, I will continue in English. I had the idea that you had bought the SLC in jan's shop, since you mentioned explicitly light transmission and I had given the (still print-warm0 spectra recently to Jan van Daalen. And, yes, there is only one House of Outdoor with so much eagerness for binocular knowledge in The Netherlands. It will take more than a month before I can continue testing various binoculars and they will be published on the WEB-site of House Outdoor. If I get an irresistible drive to translate it in English, I will offer it to Peter Abrahams.
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar en veel plezier met de SLC, een dijk van een kijker.
Gijs

House of Outdoor is a real one-of-a-kind store with a lot of knowledge of the products they sell. Selling isn't even the right word. I should say; the products they offer.

I will keep an eye on Jan's website for the test results.

Happy new year!!

Lee,
I had chosen my Dutch so, that I was curious whether you could translate it properly, but since that did not occur I was worried that you started to use one of those herbs the Dutch are so famous for. It gives binocular images a very bright and colorful appearance and it adds a dimension to binocular use that is difficult to describe, but it certainly turns cheep binooculars into alpha ones and the price does not change a bit.
Happy New Year for you and all your loved ones.
Gijs
Gijs

Lee,
I had chosen my Dutch so, that I was curious whether you could translate it properly, but since that did not occur I was worried that you started to use one of those herbs the Dutch are so famous for. It gives binocular images a very bright and colorful appearance and it adds a dimension to binocular use that is difficult to describe, but it certainly turns cheep binooculars into alpha ones and the price does not change a bit.
Gijs
Gijs

Since we had such a illegal grocery store above our shop and were confronted with a big waterdamage from these "upstairs neighbours) my liberal attitude towards these alpha transformers have changed:smoke:

Jan

Lee,
Gijs
Gijs

Hi Gijs

Your Dutch was not too difficult so I felt I should apologise for interrupting two gentlemen by acknowledging that it was rude to do so.:t:

The Dutch Herb does not grow well over here but if the effects on cheap binoculars are as good as you say, I will try to make some available at the next British Bird Fair. :eat:

Happy New Year to you and yours Gijs.

Lee

Since we had such a illegal grocery store above our shop and were confronted with a big waterdamage from these "upstairs neighbours) my liberal attitude towards these alpha transformers have changed:smoke:

Jan

Move them into your cellar Jan: problem solved :-O

Lee

Hi Lee,
I was not offended by your Dutch interruption, but I will ask Jan if he kept some of the "Grass" which was grown on top of his shop, so we can keep it until your visit to The Netherlands, which will of course happen if you want to see the best binocular shop in the world (I am not paid by Jan, so fully independent in my judgment). If used it will give you a completely different vision experience.
Happy New year to you and all your loved ons,
Gijs

Hi Lee,
I was not offended by your Dutch interruption, but I will ask Jan if he kept some of the "Grass" which was grown on top of his shop, so we can keep it until your visit to The Netherlands, which will of course happen if you want to see the best binocular shop in the world (I am not paid by Jan, so fully independent in my judgment). If used it will give you a completely different vision experience.
Happy New year to you and all your loved ons,
Gijs

Nehhh, since our beloved gouverment in all their wisdom decided to permitt sales an use but to forbid production, it turns out that 2% of all electricity production is stolen to keep the estimated 100.000 illegal groceries running in our little country:smoke::smoke:.

In the line of that all insurance companies do not cover any damage caused by these activities. In our case 50.000,00 euro through the drain.
But we do have good coffee, Lee;)

Jan

In the line of that all insurance companies do not cover any damage caused by these activities. In our case 50.000,00 euro through the drain.
But we do have good coffee, Lee;)

Jan

But Jan the people upstairs were growing tulips so the insurance company should be OK with this :-O

Look forward to having a coffee with you one day:king:

Lee

But Jan the people upstairs were growing tulips so the insurance company should be OK with this :-O

Look forward to having a coffee with you one day:king:

Lee

Herr Lee,

Next to a true diplomat I'll consider you also as a wise advisor.
Where was Lee when I needed him???

B :)B :)

Here's another shootout including (among others) the Victory 8x54 HT, Victory 8x56 FL, Conquest 8x56 HD and the Swarovski SLC 8x56 HD:

http://www.manfred-alberts.de/big-six-im-vergleich-fernglaeser-8-x-56er-test

Very interesting review with night and day light transmission measurements.

I am planning on getting either a top 7x50 or one of these 8x56 light gathering monsters (I already own a Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56) so I'm very interested in this or any similar thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back