• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Failure? (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Failure?

PM Budleigh Salterton

Weather: Exceptionally hot and sunny

You know how you sometimes wake up in the morning and feel an urge? So it was with me yesterday. I wanted to see a Kingfisher. I have seen them quite often before, always unplanned, but so far this Easter holiday not a single sighting. So it was up at 06.00 to travel the back road from Exeter to Bickleigh. The mist hung heavily over the River Exe as we drove towards Bickleigh Mill. There, all was quiet as we parked and unloaded our equipment. We walked through the grounds of the Mill and into some woods containing some of the oldest trees in Devon.

It was not yet 07.00, but very light and the woods were alive with the sounds of birds. Beyond the woods there is a natural amphitheatre. The River is on your left, bounded by a field, and then tall trees with hills behind. We set up shop by the banks of the river in what looked like a likely spot for Kingfishers. Indeed, we had seen them here before.

The sun was already out warming our backs as we laid into warm egg and tomato sandwiches and tea. We were in splendid isolation, and had already encountered Blackbird, Mallard, Pheasant, Chiff Chaff, Moorhen, Coot and Canada geese. As we sat a Chaffinch flew parallel to the river in its hopping style and settled on top of a small tree. In the trees on the other side of the river, we saw Wood Pigeon and the occasional Robin.

The water was low. The riverbed was clearly visible in places, along with the upended wheels of an old supermarket trolley. But this is a clean river and the surroundings were idyllic. We could hear sheep baa-ing and the occasional farm dog barking in the distance. The scope revealed a grey Squirrel in a tree sunbathing on one of the high branches. It looked pretty precarious, but he seemed relaxed enough. Two Great Tits chased each other up and down. But after two hours: no Kingfisher.

Eventually we decided to go back to Bickleigh Mill where we saw a Buzzard circling languidly overhead and a motley looking Pied Wagtail on a roof. The Carrion Crows nesting in the nearby trees were noisy as staff arrived to get the Mill ready for the day's business. It is now a tourist attraction, with shop, restaurant etc. As we decided which walk to take on, we saw a River Warbler.

The 7-mile plus walk we chose took us out of the village and across Bickleigh Bridge which inspired Paul Simon to write Bridge Over Troubled Water. He visited these parts long before he became famous. Today though, with a picture postcard scene on either side of the bridge, and the water gleaming in the sunlight, it is difficult to see why he was so morose! We headed north and crossed another humpbacked bridge, spotting a Song Thrush in the cricket field on the way. It was getting hot. The occasional Magpie flew by as we turned off the road and walked alongside the River Dart. Chiff Chaffs were everywhere.

A Buzzard came really close to us overhead, and we could see by its lighter under wing markings, plus a distinctive crescent shape, that it was a juvenile. Just then it was mobbed by a Crow, which seemed quite put out because its air space had been invaded. We walked on towards Ashilford, admiring the lovely Devon countryside with its stone and thatched cottages. We walked up a track to the top of a hill and saw some fantastic views. Down below, a wildlife area with several ponds. Some Canada Geese had colonised the area. Behind, a large Herony. We counted 10 Herons plus their young poking their heads out of very large nests at the top of the trees. A second Buzzard flew onto a nearby tree to keep his beady eye on proceedings.

After a coffee break, during which we saw three Blue Tits flitting about in a farmyard, we carried on along a bridlepath which went right through the garden of a private house with a lovely stream running alongside. Up we went, by the side of another farmyard, climbing a track between two lines of ancient trees. Below, to our left, we could see the hamlet of Little Silver. One of the houses is a converted chapel, and still has gravestones in the garden. On either side were Celandine and Bluebells. In the distance, a brilliant backdrop of rolling Devon hills. Pheasants roamed the fields, there were cattle and sheep dotted about. We could also see woodland. Yet more Buzzards quartered a field, circling the clear blue sky. Where else could one possibly want to be, I thought?

Our path was suddenly blocked by a rather fine looking horse. As he ignored my appeals, I had to climb the bank behind him and shoo him away before my wife -who is not enamoured with large animals - could pass by. As we climbed to the top of another hill, we could clearly hear (though not see) Skylarks. At the top we glanced to our left and saw the elevated site of Cadbury Castle. A Swift flew by. At Kingdom's Corner, we turned left towards Little Silver.

We could hear the odd tractor in the distance, along with the sounds of chickens and the whinnying of horses, but had seen only two other people, a couple out walking. No cars, no planes, no mobiles. We walked through another farmyard, which was extremely rough. It looked a tremendous mess, with slurry everywhere and three tractors seemingly having a convention, all with their engines revving up. Needless to say the footpath sign was long gone and we had to negotiate two electric fences. But a man had earlier told us that we were only the seventh and eighth walkers he had seen ALL YEAR on this route.

Lunch was at the top of a field overlooking Langley Farm. In the distance, a patchwork quilt of fields. We had delicious Humus, grated carrot and little Gem lettuce in malted grain baps washed down with Evian water. This was followed by banana, tea and a Geo bar. We walked down through Little Silver, and an inspection of the converted chapel revealed the following inscription above the door: "Enter His Courts With Praise." It was built in 1843. We then climbed one of the steepest hills of the walk, but this was more than compensated by the marvellous views in all directions.

At the village of Cadleigh we turned left towards Bickleigh, seeing a Wren and a Greenfinch en route. Back at Bickleigh Bridge, a Grey Wagtail vied with Pied Wagtails for airspace, all darting into the air to catch insects. It had been a great walk in tremendous sunshine. But I still wanted to see a Kingfisher.

We drove straight to White Bridge near Budleigh Salterton and walked along the River Otter to a good spot. Here we set up our newly acquired lightweight chairs. These are superb things you carry in a tent bag and unfold them in seconds. It makes such a difference when you're waiting in the same place for a long time. They even have a space in one of the arms for a drink. Marvellous but where is the champagne, I lamented? It was now 16.45, and the conditions seemed perfect for a lightening flashby of the Kingfisher variety.

On the other side of the river there is a range of trees monumentally large. Crows nests abound. We also saw a Long Tailed Tit. The sun was still warm and could feel it on our necks as we settled down to yet more tea. After another two hours, however, even I had to admit that it wasn't to be. Not today, at least. For a last quick fix I went to the hide overlooking the Otter where it meets the sea and quickly opened every window. The wooden hide was like a sauna bath. Below, I could see perhaps a couple of hundred birds playing, feeding, preening and bathing. It was a lovely sight. We had Common Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull and Shelduck. There was also a Cormorant and a fine looking Little Egret.

So my Kingfisher mission had failed. But as we drove home 13 hours after setting off in the morning, it didn’t seem like failure. It felt like we'd had a fantastic day.

Quote:

"As we decided which walk to take on, we saw a River Warbler."

Is devon a hot bed of supression? Do rare locustella Warblers rate barely a second mention in your part of the world?

Seriously though an excellent report and an enjoyable read. These trip reports seem to be getting better and better!

Thank you Peter for a delightful narrative - you describe a scene so well. I appreciate, too, you including a description of your meals - after birds, food is my second big intereste in life as my waistline gives all too much evidence of!!!

This report blows the socks off mine, I really loved every step of the way and I will have to give the Ashilford path a try. I do not know about the ponds in the wildlife area which interests me very much.

WHAT!! A River Warbler, on my patch too! There has not been a River Warbler in the last three reports for Devon (that's as far back as I can go) and it is a three star rarity (Izzy scale) so you better submit a report to the DBWPS!

I will give the stretch a try for the bird, can you give me a OS grid reference?

Sitting on the banks of the Otter at Bud Salt, hmmmm sounds like a thing I could put up with. Even if there were no birds!!! Lovely!

Last edited:
Failure by no means! You got to spend a lovely warm day in the wilds with the Mrs. A couple of unhurried and relaxed meals while listening to the birds going about their business. A lovely day I would say.

Yes. I thought Swift as well. That was a quick mention of a bird that I have only seen on the pager once so far this year.

Excellent report Peter. Thoroughly enjoyed the walk with you and your good lady wife.

I'm afraid that your meal tastes are a bit rich for me. I take ham baps washed down with bottled tap water. Mmmmmm!!

John J, I saw a single Swift yesterday too at BGM in the evening. With Peter's sighting they must be starting to come into the country now.

The Herons down your way must be ahead of ours up here, went to Heronry last nite for monitoring and ringing, 21 nests but chicks only about 7/8 days old and too young to ring yet, none peeking over the nests for us!!

Annie :)

Last edited:
Thank you one and all for your replies. I post these reports simply because I know I am lucky to experience these things and would like to share them with other people.

Taking the comments in turn.........

Jasonbirder: Thank you very much for your kind remarks. We do not shout about things down here! Seriously, it was a great sighting, which I have to attribute to my wife. Incidentally she was wearing a white pure cotton shirt with stiff butterfly wing collars to protect her neck from the sun. She is also extremely observant. That's women all over. We rechecked several times in Collins Guide, plus my wife using the binnies and me using the scope. We had no doubt whatsoever.

Doug: I include the food because on a day out it is so much part of the day. Plus - I have to admit - my wife makes such cracking sarnies! Very pleased you enjoyed the report.

Andrew: yes, you really ought to try this walk - it is superb. My reports are certainly not better than your own. We each have a different style, and your reports, with their precision and photographs illustrating every step of the way - have taken Birding Day Out to a new level. Sadly I cannot find an ordnance survey map of the area, but I will look up the ordnance survey ref for you later.

KC: you're dead right. The key to the day was to be unhurried. Staying still meant we saw so much - and learned so much. In my job I am tied to deadlines every hour, so it is bliss to sit still where time matters not.

SeB: Yes - Swift! Get down to Devon boy!

JohnJ: If the reference to the Swift seemed a little perfunctory, it was because it was the second time we had seen a Swift this week. Thanks for your comments.

Carlos: Well yes, failure did come to mind because we did not achieve what I set out to achieve. But of course - as I hope you realised reading the report - we had a great time and failure was the last thing on our minds. And there's always tomorrow for the Kingfisher!

El Annie: as Andrew says, the Heron chicks down here are huge. I saw a youngster poking his head above the nest and I thought What's he doing there?!!! He was a big boy.

''KC: you're dead right. The key to the day was to be unhurried. Staying still meant we saw so much - and learned so much. In my job I am tied to deadlines every hour, so it is bliss to sit still where time matters not.'' .... thats rings so true Peter.

I'm a van driver and work involves tearing about, getting moaned at cos I'm late - again, ... 'that's not what I ordered' - like I care, if it's on my list thats what you're getting ! .... not to mention, the upcoming caravan season .... etc ...

Out and about in the country is the most superb wind down, time is so irrelevant I often don't even bother taking my watch.

Karl/Andrew

You're quite right about being unhurried, but it doesn't come naturally to some people - including me. I have had to train myself not to rush around. As that is precisely what I have been doing in my professional life for many years, I have had to programme my system to run at a slower speed. Easier to do here in Devon of course. Everything is at half pace here!

Peter,
Failure......what failure, Devon is Gods own country, and you can never fail, and you both had a wonderful days birding and viewing the stunning Devon countryside on a glourious day. Lets hope Easter Monday is the same........ Thanks Peter.

Kingfisher

Thanks so much for that. Yes, it was a day to remember. I don't think tomorrow will have anything like the same weather, but as it's my last day in Devon before an enforced month in London, I want to make the most of it. I feel the call of Dawlish Warren, so we'll see what happens!

Still waiting for the location of the Warbler.

Many apologies, I forgot to say please. So here it is, please?:t:

Last edited:
Sorry Andrew. I will text you from London (I have to return tomorrow) so you know where to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back