• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID in California....looking for 'Coopometer' :D (1 Viewer)

Hockey.Lover

I had another visit from a hawk this morning. I took lots of photos...it was very cooperative. This hawk was much smaller than the other that visited last week.

What I believe is that this is a juvenile male Cooper's Hawk. Please tell me if I am getting this??? :D

Thanks,

Gail

Attachments

• hawk-1.jpg
    hawk-1.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 98
  • hawk-2.jpg
    hawk-2.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 116
  • hawk-3.jpg
    hawk-3.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 129
could only make an educated guess without actually seeing the birds side by side.coop is a bigger bird altogether great photos well done!

vocalistapd said:
could only make an educated guess without actually seeing the birds side by side.coop is a bigger bird altogether great photos well done!

Thanks. I went back and tried to find a similar pose by the Coop that visited last week. Here they are....

Attachments

• hawk-100.jpg
    hawk-100.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 78
  • hawk-300.jpg
    hawk-300.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 88
I'm a little confused by this bird. The different lengthed rectices says cooper, but the course streaking and orange iris this time of year suggest sharp-shinned.

Scott

cavan wood said:
I'm a little confused by this bird. The different lengthed rectices says cooper, but the course streaking and orange iris this time of year suggest sharp-shinned.

Scott

Me, too. I was not 100% certain about this bird, but gave it my best guess. I wanted to leave it to the real professionals to help me out.

Thanks. I am waiting to post my photos on my site until I have the proper ID.

Hockey.Lover said:
Thanks. I went back and tried to find a similar pose by the Coop that visited last week. Here they are....
juvenile coopers lack a pale supercilliary above the eye which juvenile ssh have. a general rule of thumb (for me that is) if it looks similair in size to an american kestrel then it is a sharpie.if not it is a coop.

The legs appear quite thin and the terminal tail band is dull and rather thin. If I had to guess, I would say Sharpie.

What the HE*L do you put out in your feeders to attract Accips like this? Cute little fluffy chicken hatchlings? :D

Terry O'Nolley said:
The legs appear quite thin and the terminal tail band is dull and rather thin. If I had to guess, I would say Sharpie.

What the HE*L do you put out in your feeders to attract Accips like this? Cute little fluffy chicken hatchlings? :D

LOL, Terry. No little chickies in my feeders. I am quite surprised myself. I have lived here for just over a year and just this year started putting more feeders out there. I have three seed feeders in the crape myrtle, three suet feeders and two window feeders for the goldfinches and House Finches....oh and peanuts for the squirrels.

I guess I am glad that I didn't go out first thing and fill up the feeders before my coffee today, otherwise my photos would probably been very graphic. :eek!:

AlexC said:
I'm not totally clear on which bird is which, but they all look like Coops to me.

The first three photos are the same bird. The second set of photos are a comparison of the one from this morning and the one from last week.

Thanks, Alex.

Coop.

Tail (though out of place and/or with broken feathers), appears more rounded than square.

Male - Female?
Measure in relation to top rail on fence.
Is that a "2X2" (1.75 inches)?

Also look at foot size in relation to top rail.
Compare to Adult bird pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back