• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Zac Hinchcliffe

Time spent wishing is time wasted!
Hi
Im 15 and have just started Drawing Birds.
These are my two that I have finished today, what do you think?

Zac Hinchcliffe

(the Kingfisher is a painting of a bird in a Magazine and the Glossy Ibis, is of the imm Bird at Fluke Hall, Pilling, Lancashire)

Attachments

• kingfisher029.jpg
    kingfisher029.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Glossy_ibis027.jpg
    Glossy_ibis027.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 389
Well Zac - if these really are your first attempts I'd personally be absolutely thrilled with them- you clearly have talent and I, for one, look forward to watching it develop. Excellent work sir.
Oh - when you say the ibis is from Fluke Hall - do you mean you worked on this drawing from life or took some piccies and worked at home?

hi Zac

Well done. Superb work. :t:

Those pictures are really good. I love them a lot :t:

So, my advise to is to keep on with this. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work in the near future. :-O

Thankyou for the overwhelming feedback!
The Ibis looks better on paper, my scanner isn't of excellent quality!
I took several photo's of this bird, as I helped re-find it at my local patch, and when it turned up at Flukehall, I wanted to get it again, and then Marshside, and Lytham, so from a bird that myself and other patchers didn't assume on the morning of the find, that it would stay for almost a year (and counting!)

I aim to get much better at drawing birds, I have always been quite good at drawing and shown an interest in bird sketches ever sinse I met Tony Disley (a local patcher and bird artist) who inspired me to take my drawing to the next level.

thanks again

Zac Hinchcliffe

I think I went a bit far with the Ibis, so I am glad that I managed to scan the image before I finished it!

Zac

Attachments

• Glossy_ibis020.jpg
    Glossy_ibis020.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 256
Love the Kingfisher painting Zac - interesting technique on the Ibis too - Amazing you capture such a perfect outline shape from the field - very tough - and lot's of talent there - Well done!!

I agree with everyone else here, great stuff, and keep it up, if your drawings are this good now, who knows where a couple more years will take you!

Zac, I like your stlye. What materials are you using?

hi Zac

I am thinking the same as Marcus here. Your Ibis, has the full :t: factor here

Are you using pastels, charcoal, or is it pencil, as the effect on the linework is very pronounced, meaning very alive?

Keep on with your artwork, it is very good. :t:

Last edited:
Especially love the Ibis. It brings back memories of a holiday we had in Brittany a couple of years ago- it was the only time I had seen one -fab bird. Keep up the art work its great.

Thanks All
In answer to the Ibis Technique, I am just using a HB Pencil, nothing fancy!
(saw a Great White Egret at Leighton Moss RSPB oday aswell as 3 spoonbill, so I intend on Copying the photo's that I took)
It sounds like I give the impression that I draw the birds on site, this is my no means true! I just copy images, and also books for the colour!

thanks
Zac

Nothing wrong with that Zac - you're still making wonderful drawings. When you're next out birding, though - why not pop a sketch or two in your notepad; just a head detail of an easily seen bird - mallard, tufty etc, or a 'ball with a stick' wader sketch - just to see how you feel about drawing from life. My feeling is you'll get to love it and do it as readily as you make your birding notes.
Good luck.

I am very grateful for all these encouraging comments, and I am sure that I will do plenty more that I can share as I hopefully get better over time.
I should probably have the Egret or Spoonbill ready by the end of the week as this should be quite easy due to it being a white bird with not much feather detail!

Zac

Very impressed indeed and you obviously have a feel for the structure and anatomy of the bird! :t:

I like to think I know birds well, as I spend hours and hours looking at Books and photo's and ID tips to help with my real passion - Birdwatching.
I have always wanted to start drawing the birds I saw, but I always used to draw the illustrations in books, and I was never happy with them, but now I copy pictures, this is much more fun and rewarding!

Here's the Spoonbill from today - It is not excellent as it is just a sketch because I intend to paint it later...

Attachments

• Spoonbill030.jpg
    Spoonbill030.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 285
I like to think I know birds well, as I spend hours and hours looking at Books and photo's and ID tips to help with my real passion - Birdwatching.
I have always wanted to start drawing the birds I saw, but I always used to draw the illustrations in books, and I was never happy with them, but now I copy pictures, this is much more fun and rewarding!

Here's the Spoonbill from today - It is not excellent as it is just a sketch because I intend to paint it later...

Hi Zac

Your drawing of your Spoonbill is beautiful, graceful, and very mystical. o:)

There is nothing wrong with copying pictures from books or even photos. It gives you a feel for your subject too. It also helps build up your abilities, and you will just get better and better each time you produce a drawing of a bird. :t:

I think your picture it is great as it is, without painting it. Of course that is the aim is that you paint it for maximum effect. o:)

I would love to see the end result here, so looking forward to that too. :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back