• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Be gentle with me. (1 Viewer)

It seems Phil is right, far too much red....Grenache, I think it was!

Phil

Attachments

• Black  Vanilla overdone.jpg
    Black Vanilla overdone.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 34
Very nice Phil.

You're not alone, no. The best paintings I've ever done are those that are yet to be painted, mainly because I haven't ruined them with any actual painting yet!

Mike

Hi Phil,

I'm relatively new to art, and have found that the question 'Is it done?' is about as easily answerable as 'What is the meaning of life?' What I try to do is to stop before my general inclination to stop really kicks in - one can always go back and do more after contemplating the piece, but few art media come equipped with an 'undo' button...! One of my art instructors said to a class one time, 'One of the most valuable things I do in these classes is walk around making people stop.' She was only partially joking.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. After looking through the "Flash Bird Painting" thread I thought I'd give it a go. I may not have followed the rules to the letter and it's not a bird, but it was well under the 15 mins.

Attachments

• flash fly.jpg
    flash fly.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 55
Fantastic "flash fly" Phil! (Must stop alliterating!);)

I'd bet most people would have a VERY hard time doing wing venation as a flash painting. It's so easy to get caught up in the complexity. You've done a good job with it and the entire fly.

Almost makes me tempted to give it a try with some of my old insect collection.

I'd bet most people would have a VERY hard time doing wing venation as a flash painting. It's so easy to get caught up in the complexity. You've done a good job with it and the entire fly.

Almost makes me tempted to give it a try with some of my old insect collection.

I found it much more enjoyable just slapping a few lines here and there, than actually trying for accuracy. I'm sure if I had more time, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself adding more and more until I'd ended up with a complete mess.

Phil

Last edited:
you got the whole point of the flash works, in that last statement Phil. most of the niggling we do adds very little to the basic statement the gesture can make. Not to say for those who love it like Matty there is anything less artistic in high detail it depends on the nature of the artist and what they are interested in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back