• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

budding bird artist? (1 Viewer)

hi guys
took some advice and tried some field scetches,including this one of an un-id'ed gull at my local patch,i drew the outline of the resting bird and added detail after,hope you like ito:D
SDC19766.JPG
MB
still got loads of revision to do and have got 2 tests tomorow at least(both mocks) so probs will be a bit before another pic

yeah the gull was proberbly a lesser b b gull but the clean white head and dark beady eye was odd,and the way it moved was also odd(like a duck waddle) see the video on my blog,starts with grey heron then pans across to the gull
thanks for the comment again guy,much apreciated
MB

Just had a glance at the vid clip MB and I'd agree that it's a lesser - that way it's holding its head gives a quite dainty posture for a large gull which I associate with them. Of course, you got much better views through the scope, so it's your call.

hey here are some more drawings,note the camera wouldent focous on the pic right so pics look a bit blurry-
edit: spotted redshank at slimbridge
SDC10114.JPG

glossy ibis at grimley,worcester,yesterdayo:D
SDC10107.JPG
MB

Last edited:
Very good pieces MB - once again ou are homing in on the graphic qualities of the birds - this simplified approach really works well; all the surface clutter is removed, leaving the important features and attitude of the bird - well done.

Glad you said spotshank, I was off to my books...

Tim's said it all again and I agree completely.

Mike

another quick 20 min drawing of an ecotive scene.
while watching the ibis on sunday it was attacked by a stunning male peregrine,it came withing inches on hitting the bird out of the sky and if the ibis didnt dive into the water,im sure the peregrine would have had it's meal.
SDC10120.JPG
as mentioned,i like to keep my pieces simple,so i simply drew the birds against a plain blue sky(as it was on sunday,untill it started raining that is:-O).i think the piece shows the size difference between a male peregrine and a glossy ibis
so now thats what i think, so what do you think:t:

Superb piece MB - this one has a lot going for it; great dynamic design and really well drawn birds (the ibis shape is especially beautiful). Taking these moments from the birding day and revisiting them through drawing is a fundemantal expression of the nature artist - keep it up.

Nice bit of action on the diagonal to create drama, and taken from field experience. Great stuff and a lifer too!

Mike

the simplicity of these drawings is a great achievement, they show the salient features and allow the character of the birds to shine through. Keep it up!

hope you guys like ibis's,cause theres a lot more comming,
as you can see i sometimes try to make the bird look more 3D,so with the 1st ibis image it look flat so now trying a closer sketch,in a more attractive pose with its wings raised,
not to seem quite up my own ar*e but i quite like this piece but again i cant get a good sharp image of it in the low light and i cant scan them as i havent got one so,you will probs have to put up with it
will try and get some better quality pics soon
SDC101361.JPG
MBo:D

nice solid bird - it's not a flat image of a bird with a wing shape, but a proper portrayal of a three-dimensional thing. I suppose you're using ordinary graphite pencil for the darks, which is where the 'shine' comes from, using a soft black pencil crayon will stop this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back