• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Thread For Birdpotter (2 Viewers)

birdpotter

Holy Crap!! It has been 534 days since I last posted something on my art thread. What is wrong with me?!?! Now the thread is unavailable.
I guess I gotta start a new one.
Which means I need new art.
Which means I'm going to have to take pictures.
Which actually might mean I should create something worth taking pictures of.

I will post something, but be warned, guys, my work has suffered this last 534 days. The right kind of chaos is inspiring and good for someone, unfortunately I've been dealing with the wrong kind of chaos and my work shows it. It's scattered and, well, just sucks. Since I've been doing most of my stuff for school, I've been getting poor grades because of it. BUT I think I might be finally going somewhere and finding a direction ... yay, with only 10 weeks left of school.

Sorry there's nuthin to look at yet. I will get something out soon.
love to all!
Beth

Look froward to seeing the new work, Beth. Better get something posted soon though - if you don't want this thread to drop into oblivion, too ;)

You can still use your old thread, if you look at the reply box it has the bit saying its an old thread and hasn't been posted on for XXX Days, but underneath there is a box you can tick to re start it up.

Ugh

So here's what I've been working on. I liked it, but knew it wasn't good, then hated it, then I really liked it, but I think I overworked it this morning so now I am feeling very indifferent. And since it is for a class, I am afraid I might have to leave it. Well, no, just scrape off some paint and rework it I guess.

No birds. I think my ex-husband, that's right, in case some of you didn't know, I got divorced this last year, anyway, I think he may have taken my binoculars. I have nothing for birdwatching and haven't done it for almost a year. I'm finding myself having the itch though.
ANYWAY, thanks for the welcome back guys. I really have missed you all and hope I can catch up on what everyone is doing.
If you have any pointers for what I need to do, tell me. I have about 8 more hours before I have to get this painting back up to the university.
I will hopefully have some pottery and sculptures that will be worth the wait by the end of next week.

Love to all of you!!

Attachments

• cow.jpg
    cow.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 81
Cant wait to see your other work, since I joined after you took holiday

...for the painting there are nice passages with color and brushstroke, but let me ask just, to prod you a bit, what is the main point of the painting? The cow, or landscape, or the twigs in front...to my eye they all have equal weight, and so it's hard to relate to a focus. The cow is cropped in a way that leads us away and out.....Sometimes I think the most important thing we can do as an artist to keep on track through all the long time and stages a painting takes is remember what our original impulse was to make the painting, and to make decisions as we go along to support that. A sort of inner North Pole, that helps steady our way. I don't find this limiting as to expression, the painting can change and grow, but having that original impulse in mind helps prune away what isn't going to support your work.

Thanks Colleen. You are absolutely right. Originally there were two cows in the painting, but the second stopped all movement through the painting. I'm wondering if I should put it back in, now that I have a little more of the directional pull that I was missing in the first place.
I decided to keep the cow cropped just a bit...it's one of those bucolic scenes that we see all the time out in the country, but I don't think anyone ever really notices the cow(s). does that make sense? That's kind of my deeper meaning. Other than that, I liked the original composition with the two cows, which is why I painted it and then found it to be a bit stagnant.
Let me know if you have anything to add.
Best
Beth

Thanks Colleen.
I decided to keep the cow cropped just a bit...it's one of those bucolic scenes that we see all the time out in the country, but I don't think anyone ever really notices the cow(s). does that make sense? That's kind of my deeper meaning. Other than that, I liked the original composition with the two cows, which is why I painted it and then found it to be a bit stagnant.
Let me know if you have anything to add.
Best
Beth

two cows with one cropped may work better than one near the edge...still I think you answered your own question here, your original intent that made you want to paint this had 2, so either in photoshop or just painting a quickie and cutting one out, place the second cow in and move it around until you think it works. A touch of the landscape dictum of "things lose chroma(intensity) and get lighter in value as they recede might add a bit more to this, but think the comp is more important.

Too much symbolism in this piece for me to start dissecting it at this hour, Beth - at least in open forum ;). I'd be really interested to know why the uncomfortable stance of the cow - trapped in its environment, almost? As a painting I can see the changes of progression and like a couple of the images very much; also a very strong use of strokes which come from a nice, loose arm. Lots to like . . . yes.
I'm very tempted to post a couple of your stand-out pieces from a couple of years ago as a point of reference - for newbies to your work, and maybe for yourself . . .
Maybe save that for another day.

Thanks Colleen. Yeah, I'm working on the chromatic stuff... I'll see what I can do with the other cow. Thanks for all your advice!

Thanks Tim. I really think this is becoming overworked. I'm going to give it one more go before I turn it in.

Symbolism in my work??? Nawww, I haven't a clue as to what you might be talking about.

Well done for getting through a tough year... I don't think I could have coped at all with anyone making off with my bins!

Mike

no problem.....get a better pair, and celebrate your freedom!

( I've done this route twice... if you're missing things, which will happen for a while, go get a new one or decide you don't need it anyway...I seem to remember a hammer was gone and for some reason it made me furious....but $10 later I had one that fit my hand better.);)

Unbelievable! Guess what? I was searching through my son's closet for some shoes today (for him)...I mever go into his closet and what did I find??
Yep, the Binoculars. I am soooo very happy that I don't have to beat my ex with a bat for THAT reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back