• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will Swarovski buy back the EL 8.5x42 for Swarovision 8x32 (1 Viewer)

AlanM

Any guesses or info? I am interested in the Swaro 8x32. Will Swarovski buy back an old EL 8.5x42 towards partial payment for the Swaro 8x32, similar to what they are doing now for the present Swaro?

probably, since they now, and others, are offering $800 - 900 for the old ELs
but
I cannot see taking a 50% loss on what I paid for the EL to get the newer model
-better maybe; but that much better?

edj

probably, since they now, and others, are offering $800 - 900 for the old ELs
but
I cannot see taking a 50% loss on what I paid for the EL to get the newer model
-better maybe; but that much better?

edj

One man's meat is another man's potato (or potatoe in the case of Dan Quayle).

As the Optics Consumer Index Poll showed, some people are willing to pay whatever optics companies want to charge for "the latest and greatest" even $3K. But except for one person, they qualified that with "only for significant improvement". What is "significant"?

So far, at least from the reports I've read on BF, the Conquest HD seems to be a significant improvement from the original Conquest - wider FOV, bigger sweet spot, better CA control, better ergonomics. Seems worth the $300 price hike.

But is the new 8x32 SV EL worth taking an $800 loss plus paying another $1,300? If your EL is beat to crap, maybe, but I'd first see what Swaro might do to repair it. But if it's in VG condition or "like new," you'd be better off selling it privately since you could get more for it.

If possible, you should do an A/B with the EL WB/SV EL before deciding if you want to sell your "old technology" EL and pay the difference for what you get for your WB. Do a search on eBay for what 8x32 EL WBs are selling for used.

But here's the Catch 22. If the 8x32 SV EL turns out to be as popular as the full sized version, eBay will be flooded with WBs after the SV ELs come out and used EL prices will drop.

Melvin Markle, Optics Price Consumer Index pollster

Last edited:
BuyBack and new SV 32s

That buy back offer is ending June 1st. Dealers still have no confirmation as to when they might really actually positively start receiving new product in May. And at that, the word is that they are going to be coming to the U.S. in small lots for a good while.
So, the bottom line is that even if the 32's are included in the offer, at best there's going to be a pretty small window of time to take advantage.
And I agree that it would make the most sense only if your "old" model was used hard and had the snot beat out of that new bino glow.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back