• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZR Customer Service (1 Viewer)

paul2013

I just wanted to share a positive experience regarding ZR CS. After a couple of years of use, my Summits had gotten loose in the main hinge and the focusing ring. I returned them to ZR and now they're back in shape. They may even be a little better than when new as I asked ZR to check and adjust the collimation.

I just wanted to share a positive experience regarding ZR CS. After a couple of years of use, my Summits had gotten loose in the main hinge and the focusing ring. I returned them to ZR and now they're back in shape. They may even be a little better than when new as I asked ZR to check and adjust the collimation.

That's good to hear Paul! My experience with Zen-Ray's customer service has always been excellent also.

Paul2013 ..... Do you think Zen-Ray did a repair and sent you back the same unit or do you think they sent back a replacement?

Like you and John, I have also had great service from Charles at Zen-Ray.

John ... Good to see you back on the forum.

They initially sent me a newer pair (but not new in box) but I asked Charles for my original pair and those were repaired and sent back to me (I sent the first pair back to ZR).

Tell me your secret method?

I sent back my Prime HD Prime 8x42 binos back to them with an RMA over 3 weeks ago...no response by phone, email or web site. Do you know another way to reach them?

As a follow up, I received a call from Charles of Zen-Ray this afternoon that my Prime HD 8x42s are being worked on in their shop and will be shipped out this week...breathed a sigh of relief. I would have expected a status update from Zen-Ray after they received them. They are my favorite binoculars of all time and it was a minor repair (frozen eye cup) so glad to hear they should soon be back in use!

Update

In the interests of full disclosure, this experience did not turn out to be quite as perfect as originally described. The rubber diopter ring, which had been removed and reglued, came fully loose again (more of an annoyance than anything) and I noticed that when racking through a lot of focus travel (ie, from a feeder 20' away to a distant hillside), I was actually getting some diopter drift, which I had never experienced with these before. My ZRS were sent back and forth a couple more times, but the problem wasn't resolved. After I received them back the last time from ZR (and after I had spend more than $50 for the initial "repair" and two more postage fees), Charles answered exactly one of the many emails I sent him, saying he'd get back to me, but despite numerous attempts to contact him after that (including leaving phone messages), I never heard from him again. Finally, following a few weeks of frustration, I sat down with the binoculars and racked the focus and diopter all the way in and out for an hour or more, while I read news on the internet. I also cleaned out the sloppy re-glue of the diopter ring. After that the diopter adjustment seems more reliable in terms of keeping its setting. Now they can become car binoculars or loaners. It became clear, though, that Zen Ray's seemingly generous warranty isn't actually as easy to employ as the warranty from companies like Leupold, Bushnell or Vortex/EO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back