• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

That’s a surprise Martin! I had to leave the site and I asked my friend to photograph any moths he saw. I believe he used his iPad so I don’t think there is any improving on it.
One thing is for sure, if I say it’s common as I implied, it’s bound to be rare.
I will come back to you.
Mike

Hi Martin
I have lightened it up a bit which may help but I am still waiting to hear from my friend.
Shame I wasn’t there as I would have used my camera.
Mike

Last edited:
Headed out just before 7am for an early walk down the Bocquer Valley. A hoopoe was having an early morning preen near the farmhouse, a couple of ravens flew over and I at last managed to see one of the blue rock thrushes that I’ve been hearing all week! I’ve walked the valley many times over the years, but I’ve never walked down the final slope to the sea, so I decided to rectify that this morning. Not far down the slope I had a very obliging Balearic warbler having a preen and a bit of a sing. During the scramble down and the return up the slope I had three more Balearic warblers -quite a reward for the not inconsiderable effort (although the tranquil scene at the water’s edge is a nice reward in itself). A few things added on the wall back - a couple of Eleanora’s, more views of the adult peregrine and a kestrel near the farmhouse gave a nice falcon trio, and there were several crag martins up with the swifts along the ridge.

Attachments

• CB954561-1F6B-43A0-8344-F6EA8ACC91C6.jpg
    CB954561-1F6B-43A0-8344-F6EA8ACC91C6.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 55C0FEE3-707B-488A-8D80-90FD469A99DE.jpg
    55C0FEE3-707B-488A-8D80-90FD469A99DE.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 9465411A-62C3-457E-BBBD-044D9E041BE2.jpg
    9465411A-62C3-457E-BBBD-044D9E041BE2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 45
At least seven Alpine Swift at Castel de Santuari today. An evening trip would be better because the birds circle the Castel later in the afternoon and it’s easier to count them. About a dozen is the norm.
Also Crag Martins breeding there, Blue Rock Thrush and lots of Nightingales and Spotted flycatchers.
Mike

Last edited:
Spent my last morning at the Albufereta and Ca’n Cuarassa before we are due to fly home this evening. Highlight at the Albufereta was a whiskered tern that spent a few minutes over the lagoons before heading off south east (three really rubbish photos attached). The woodchat was perched on the observation tower and purple and grey herons were in the air. An Eleanora’s falcon flew through in a rather purposeful manner.

At Ca’n Cuarassa there were five spotless starlings on wires off to the right, with some of that group, or perhaps four others, on wires to the left shortly after. A couple of kestrels and two Eleanora’s were over the fields, and a booted eagle flew in from the mountains to the north. A nice way to end a lovely trip!

Always sad to leave, but eased by knowing that we’ll be back in late September.

Stew

Attachments

• 4449E6E9-9544-47B7-98F4-A3A2CACBFE59.jpeg
    4449E6E9-9544-47B7-98F4-A3A2CACBFE59.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 595E9911-1C4E-49E7-83D7-0956E25D684A.jpg
    595E9911-1C4E-49E7-83D7-0956E25D684A.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 231C8946-B54A-423A-A295-367EA8A59336.jpg
    231C8946-B54A-423A-A295-367EA8A59336.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 2CF0C75C-A7F7-402C-9624-9A8DA2A1F71C.jpg
    2CF0C75C-A7F7-402C-9624-9A8DA2A1F71C.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for all your reports Stew and thanks again for meeting up, it was great fun. See you in September.
Martin, I emailed a couple of times but used a very old address so I’m not sure you got them.
Mike

Another evening spent watching the sun go down in Mondrago.
The Nightingales were magnificent. A Wryneck joined in, then the Stone Curlews began and a Scops owl was calling very close by.
Only two Nightjars heard churring. They seem to call from a different place every evening and it’s hard to know which spot to choose.
Still, it doesn’t really matter, it’s a great time to just stand and listen to one world going to sleep and yet another only just waking up. Always a good time to ponder the universe too. Mike

Martin, I emailed a couple of times but used a very old address so I’m not sure you got them.
Mike
Hi Mike
It's the same address (I only have one). The lighter photo helped a bit but I need to have a look at some specimens (rather than figures in books) so I'll reply once I've been to the Museum.
Thanks
Martin

One more moth from tonight. Nice to have something to do during this quiet time.
I go most evenings for Nightjars, seawatch a couple of times a week and also go to see the Alpine swifts. That should keep me going until return migration begins starting with the waders at Salobrar de Campos.
I will keep you posted, Mike

Last edited:
One more moth from tonight. Nice to have something to do during this quiet time.
I will keep you posted, Mike

Hi Mike
A nice easy one. This is the Four-spotted Tyta luctuosa ([Denis & Schiffermüller], 1775). Once fairly common in parts of the south of England it is now scarce and vunerable, despite it's foodplant being widespread (Field Bindweed). It's still a common moth in Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands.
I'll be trapping in Barnes over the next few nights as it's National Moth Nights here.
It will be especially interesting for me during July and August as I've never trapped in the Balearics at that time.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin, I actually managed to identify that one myself and I got it right too! I was just going to post but see that you beat me to it.
Good luck with Barnes, that’s where my then girlfriend, now wife, used to live when we were first dating in 1970. Happy days!
I will keep at the moths.
Mike

That would probably be the Red Lion (formerly the Stragglers Inn which was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1830 as the Red Lion - and it's still there. It does quite good food and has a large 'beer garden'.
Martin

Two dark morph Eleanora’s falcons hunting over fields at Es Llombards in the south-east, an unusual area for this species.
It does mean though, that I have seen the Falcons from just about every corner of Mallorca. Always a joy to see these super-sleek raptors in action. I could have watched them all day. Mike

Heading down to Alcudia area from Sweden tomorrow. Family vacation but hope to spend some time at S'Albufera and Son Real which I enjoyed greatly last year (July 2017). I especially remember the Western reef heron that landed just in front of the Sa Rosa hide. What a sighting! As if it wasn't enough with Cattle, Little e, Night, Squacco herons that we do not have in the Nordics. Also my efforts in finding a Moustached warbler that turned out negative with none visible.

So this time I will try some more on Moustached warblers and also would like good views of Marbled ducks, vultures and eagles. Lets see how that goes. Thats one of the good things about birding, you never know!

First full day on the island. Started great with Sardinian warbler, Red-crested Pochard, Fantailed w and a singing Moustached w just outside the hotel in Muro. So thats the NE part of S'Albufera.

Just now back from a short visit to the park where there were 4 Flamingos at collibar hide no 12. A hoopoe along the path to the hide. Another Moustached w near Sa Roca. Cettis and Fantailed quite common. Only Little and Cattle egrets so far.

Just now 5 Greater Flamingos still present outside Collibar hide 12.

Yesterday morning an early visit to S'Albufera. Lots of species singing. Got Purple heron, grey heron and Night heron no visible Squacco yet but I think they are in the colony along the main canal. A Serin was singing close to the visitors centre. A handful of Sardinian warblers.

South of San Roca at distance I spotted a small gull with black head and white upperparts. Sighting was very short. Since the head was more black than brown I think Mediterranean gull. Is this a possibility?

/Johan Thor

Hello!
Here you have the birdlist from first 15 days of June at la Gola.

https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

For example Zitting Cisticole can be seen easily in the field next to Síller stream.

One Collared Pratincole has been reported in s'Albufera this last week and one Isabelline Warbler was reported by Maties Rebassa last Thursday 14th.

The same Thursday afternoon I did a brief visit to the Natural Park and I saw very well the Glossy Ibis. Some of them from sa Roca Hide and then at least one nest with chicks in the middle of the nesting colony of Cattle and Little Egrets.
Also an adult of Little Bittern flew from the edge of Canal den Pujol. Over there and in the Ultima Hora pond is where to look for the Red-knobbed coot these last weeks.

Regards,
Cristina.

South of San Roca at distance I spotted a small gull with black head and white upperparts. Sighting was very short. Since the head was more black than brown I think Mediterranean gull. Is this a possibility?
/Johan Thor

Looking at some previous bird reports it's not impossible (i.e. they do occur) but they are quite scarce and a June date would, I think, be very unusual. Perhaps others with more experience will comment.

Martin

Last edited:
I agree with Martin, unlikely but not impossible.
A good look, and preferably a photo of the primaries and head, are needed to clinch the identification.
Mediterranean gulls are surprisingly scarce here, I see more of them in the UK than here! Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back