• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (5 Viewers)

Spider

Had this large spider (almost 3 inch legspan) on Punta n'Amer on Wednesday, anybody know the species presumably related to Wasp Spiders.thanks Ian

Attachments

• 20180809134516.jpg
    20180809134516.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 27
Early morning walk to the point of Punts de n'Amer produced 20+ large Shearwater about 300metres offshore presumably Scopoli's.

Yes, Scopoli’s , just about the only thing out there at the moment. I saw eight this morning from the Cap de Ses Salines so you did well.
I was there just after six, just in time to see two magnificent male Nightjars hawking over the fields, one of my favourites.
Two Tern species also flew by but too distant to be sure. I think they were Common terns.
Only local birds today, lots of Red Kite, most of them looking rather scrappy having moulted lots of plumage.
Double figures of Common Kestrel, a couple of Woodchats and that’s about it for today.
Mike

Thanks Mike, attached a heavily cropped PIC of the Scopolis. Haven't seen any Woodchats on the Punta yet, there were a few here when I visited in August a few tears ago including a juvenile but maybe not bred here this year?

Ian

Attachments

• 20180812064433.JPG
    20180812064433.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 49
Also had 2 ringed Audouin's Gulls here this morning, the 1st ringed birds I've seen here. Large white rings on left leg with 4 black letters, also metal ring on right leg with numbers and I think it says "Donano". Will investigate scheme and send off details when I return home, and will update their history on here when I get it. I do find ring-reading very interesting.

Ian

I was in Sa Coma last week. My highlights...

Punts De N'Amer - not as good as last year...I too had the Scopoli's Shearwaters on one of the two early mornings I did. Many regulars Firecrest, Hoopoe, Red Legged Partridge, Sardinian Warbler, etc. Did however see my first two tortoises in the wild :)

Big thanks to Mike M who put me onto the last few Pallid Swifts at the Porto Colom site. There were 4 or 5 birds there on Sunday last.

From my apartment overlooking a golf driving range on the outskirts of Sa Coma...a Stone Curlew stood in the middle of one of the greens!! Incredible for such a usually shy bird. Fields and scrub behind were promising thought I only managed an hour looking around them one morning (Serin, Turtle Dove)

S'Albufera and Depudora - Pretty much everything you would expect with the introduced Purple SWamphen, Red Knobbed Coot, Red Crested Pochard and Marbled Duck all present. Saw a pair of Bee Eater over the reserve which I didn't last year. A number of Glossy Ibis were present along with Purple, Grey and Night Herons.

Gave up some birding on this holiday because we are back in October when I expect to do much more :)

Had this large spider (almost 3 inch legspan) on Punta n'Amer on Wednesday, anybody know the species presumably related to Wasp Spiders.thanks Ian

Hi Ian
Yes, it's a related species, Argiope lobata Pallas, 1772. An impressive beast.
Martin

Thanks Martin, seen 2 now on Punta n'Amer. Only new bird this morning was a Common Sandpiper on the rocks this am, might get our for an hour later.

Last edited:
Phil reports from Pollença good views of an Egyptian Vulture and an Alpine Swift at the same time so he was well happy.
The other Phil saw Black-necked grebes at Bassa de Can Guidet so they are returning now.
On the way home from the cinema in Palma tonight I saw three separate flocks of Starling which surprised me. It seems too early for wintering Common Starling and yet too big a flock for Spotless. The first flock near the airport numbered at least sixty birds, the next two groups were smaller, about twenty birds each. It’s a bit of a mystery at the moment but somebody may be able to offer an explanation?
Mike

20180813144939.jpg

[attach 671008[/attach]

Had a good afternoon in the drizzle yesterday finally catching up with some Shrikes, although not sure how many birds/species seen. Definitely saw 2 maybe 3 birds. Woodchats or Red-backed, not used to immature/juvenile plumage. The last photo seems to show light centred scapulars pointing towards Woodchat.

Ian

Attachments

• 20180813144012.jpg
    20180813144012.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180813143020.jpg
    20180813143020.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 69
Hello Mike!
As far as I know, in the last 10 years the population of spotless starling inside the airport area and surroundings (Prat de Sant Jordi, Son Oms) has increased a lot, so I think it is possible you have seen these big flocks.
But could be a few individuals of Common starling between them. Some people have reported them and in the AOB 2016 there are sightings of Common starling in July and August in Palma.

Regards,
Cristina.

Hello Ian!
Regarding to the Shrikes, in my opinion all Woodchat, but let see what experts say.
Regards,
Cristina.

Hello again!
La Gola highlights today: still Squacco Heron, Hoopoe, Common Sandpiper, Zitting cisticole. all seen from the Bird Centre :)

Attachments

• 100_2360_1.jpg
    100_2360_1.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 59
Added 2 more to my Punta de n'Amer list this morning with a Kingfisher on the rocks and later a Wryneck, seemed a few more birds around after the thunderstorm went through. Also 1st Hermanns Tortoise this year.
Ian

Thanks Cristina, all very helpful.
I agree that the shrikes are all Woodchats. Every year at this time I get sent photos of young shrikes which many people believe are possible Red-backed shrikes but they have all turned out to be a Woodchats.
You never know though as there are a few Red-backed seen in autumn every year but they remain very scarce.
The young Woodchats do show a lot of brown at times leading to much confusion but there are other features which rule out Red-backed.
Some storms today but very quiet at the Cap and despite searching Colonia Sant Jordi for many days, no further sign of the Blue-cheeked bee-eater.
Mike

Thought today was going to be the first tickless day of the holiday with a blank visit to the Punta this morning but a visit this afternoon was very productive with 3 new trip ticks. First a male Common Redstart, then at the cap an LRP on the rocks and a group of 6 Shag.
Also off the cap another 6 Scopoli's Shearwater and a group Audouins and YL Gulls and a single Common Sandpiper in same area as LRP.

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks Ian. I was at Punta de n’Amer today for a picnic with my wife and rather hoped I might bump into you.
As I have been birding a bit too much recently, I thought I had better not arrange anything in order to maintain marital harmony. I missed the Redstart sadly, I haven’t seen one this year yet. I did see a large flock of Yellow-legged gulls and a young Woodchat was on the wires by the exit when I left.
A Spotted Crake has been seen at the bird reserve, Magaluf.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back