• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED4 and Horrible customer service (1 Viewer)

I've been using a pair of 10x ED4 for about two weeks now. Optics are impressive, very sharp, bright, and with very good control of CA. The edge performance is fine, with no drastic fall off before 75-80pct. I can't yet speak to stray light control, as viewing conditions have been poor. In terms of build quality, I really like the new armoring. Diopter, hinge tension, and eyecups are all fine. The focus knob has noticeable slack, which I despise. Eye relief is not perfect and eye placement is finicky as a glasses wearer.

I'll probably contact Z-R about the focus knob, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with these binos and view them as an excellent value, offering optical performance not far off the best but at 1/4th the price.

I owned the McKinley HD which was a pseudo-clone of the Prime HD. The major difference was that the Prime had a flatter field, but for me the ED4 has easier eye placement and is also lighter. Control of CA, brightness, and color fidelity are pretty similar.

Note: All of these are from my recollections, as I no longer have the McKinley/Prime HD to compare in-hand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back