• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Optics Lynx HD+ (1 Viewer)

Calvin,

Reassuring I'm not alone. :t: I thought my eyes must be playing tricks with me early in the day, but a quick comparison to the Bonelli 2.0 said not. Frazer was keen to point out the HD+ 8x42 at £719 is 'only' 3/4 the price and that means we should expect some compromises, but how many?

David

Last edited:
I was at a convention last year casually going through any and every binocular I could find. There were all the top models from the European brands and a lot of others, some very pricy and many cheaper models. I had never heard of Kite by that time. I lifted up the little Lynx 8x30 (gen 1. - non + version) and was immediately surprised at the quality feel. I was even more surprised when I put them to my eyes. I was blow away! The pricetag at that time was around 500 euro. I could not believe it. They view is BIG. Wider than anything I've ever tried. The view made me think of sitting inside one of those great cinemas in Hollywood where the immense image is hovering before you, wide and immersive. It is very sharp, has great contrast and resolution with a grand sweet spot. The focus wheel has a fast throw and focuses very close! I would have bought it then and there but could not justify it since I have a Habicht 8x30W, but the thought of getting one has not let go.

A friend of mine asked for advice on a new binocular the other week. I would like something better than what I have now he told me showing me a sad, dusty and un-collimated plastic Nikon reminiscent of a Pentax Papilio.
I did some internetting and realized that Kite had released a new version of the Lynx HD, now called the "Lynx HD+". These things always worry me. The "new and improved" promise heard so many times only to later discover that "improved" can be defined very subjectively..
I send an e-mail to Kite Optics asking them exactly what has been changed on the new + version. This is the reply I got:

Please find below the upgrades for the new KITE LYNX HD+:

Upgrades relative to LYNX HD gen. 1 :

- 2% optical transmisson increase.

- 4-stage removable twist-up eyecup

- Improved comfort for spectacle wearers

- attached objective covers

The new KITE LYNXH HD+ 8x30 will cost € 575,00 so it will be a small price increase of 3,5 %.

My friend pulled the trigger on this new + model and it arrived today. I took my Habicht 8x30 and went over to see how the Kite compared.
I can't believe how good these are! The handling, feel and view is absolutely top notch! This has got to be one of the best, if not the best performing 8x30's on the market today! I can't understand why I haven't heard more about these? If you get a chance, try them!

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Bramberg. I’ve been curious to see/try one of these for some time. I’m quite a fan of the 8x30 compact offerings similar to this from other manufacturers, though it’s reputed Kite is sort of the cream of the crop (als the Mavens in the US).

Do you know if this model is made in China or Japan? If China that would be in common with the Opticron Traveller and Nikon M7. If in Japan, that would be in common with the Maven B3.

A comparison of the Kite, Maven, and perhaps Nikon MHG would be fascinating. Would take a bit of doing to get ahold of the three all at once!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Bramberg. I’ve been curious to see/try one of these for some time. I’m quite a fan of the 8x30 compact offerings similar to this from other manufacturers, though it’s reputed Kite is sort of the cream of the crop (als the Mavens in the US).

Do you know if this model is made in China or Japan? If China that would be in common with the Opticron Traveller and Nikon M7. If in Japan, that would be in common with the Maven B3.

A comparison of the Kite, Maven, and perhaps Nikon MHG would be fascinating. Would take a bit of doing to get ahold of the three all at once!

I'm not sure but from what I've read and just from the feel of this I think it is made in Japan. Some people seem to prefer the earlier "non +" version. Although the non + version is the one that instantly got me hooked my first impression of the newer + version is that it to is pure optic awesomeness. I've never tried a maven so I cant speak to that. I did do a side by side comparison to both the Swarovski CLC 8x30 and my Habicht. The Habicht is dear to me because of it's build and because I prefer the characteristics of porro view. I would have chosen the Kite over the SLC though!

My friends mom had been over today. She had picked up the Kite and looked through it. After a short glance she pulled the trigger and ordered one for herself. Later in the evening it came to light that her sister had also bought one. I can imagine the price going up on these as the rumor begins to spread and the demand surpasses supply.

This is a brief update on my review (post # 16) after testing the HD+ for stray-light performance.

Findings are generally positive, suppression of stray-light in the Lynx is quite good. Panning around a very bright light source, keeping it just outside the field of view, causes only few reflections. Veiling glare does not become an issue even with direct sunlight on the front lenses. Directly observing a bright LED light in the dark produces no noticeable ghost images, but distinct spikes (reflections on the roof edge of the prisms), slightly more pronounced than e.g. in the Zeiss Conquest HD or the Monarch HG, but observation does not get significantly hindered.

Even my favorite test, standing at the bank of a river and observing in the direction of a low (20%) standing sun and over the glittery water surface, did not cause major reflections that severely affected the image.

This confirms the overall positive impression I got of the new Lynx HD+.

fwiw Canip

Hi Canip,

Strangely enough, I’ve only just discovered this very interesting post of yours from one year ago. Did you compare the handling of stray light/veiling glare with the HD 8x30 you also have (if I’ m not mistaken)?

I have a Kite Lynx HD (non +) 8x30 which I still consider really great value for the price, for both optics and ergonomics, and already recommended to two people (family and friend) who both bought one after trying themselves (I give personal recommendations, but with the recommendation to try for yourself first ;) ). However, I see (only/mainly) two downsides to this Lynx HD 8x30: the eyecups (not locking well and no intermediate position, meanwhile solved in the HD+), and the handling of stray light, veiling glare.
What you mention as your ‘favourite test’ is almost exactly a situation where my Lynx HD 8x30 clearly failed about a week ago compared to my Zeiss Victory 8x25 (which wasn’t perfect at it either, but still better, with a bit less general veiling and especially no kind of moon-like veiling patches at the edges as the Lynx under such challenging light conditions). When looking at the ocular and seeing the internal reflections, it seems to be due to a lack of internal baffling I think, but I’m not sure.
The fact that you mention that the Lynx HD+ 8x42 are passing that test quite well is really making me curious about the HD+. I’m wondering if it is due to the different format (8x42 instead of 8x30), a different optical design or internal baffling in the HD+ in general or 8x42 specifically, or improved coatings. Do you have any idea on that?

If anybody had the occasion to do a comparison of the HD and HD+ versions of the 8x30 specifically regarding stray light/veiling glare, in the field and/or comparing the view looking at the oculars, that might be very interesting. Or the 8x30 vs the bigger ones.
If anybody had the occasion to assess the same for the HD+ 10x50mm specifically, that might also interest me a lot! Considering their size, weight and optical specs, the Lynx HD+ 10x50, on paper, look like a very interesting candidate as low-light/long-distance binoculars to complement my most regularly used 8x30-32mm, making a great 3-binoculars-setup with also the compact 8x25.

While I still consider the Lynx HD 8x30 great, enjoyable binoculars, I‘ve recently discovered the joy of the Ultravid HD 8x32, which have improved contrast, ‘pop’ (...how to say it differently?) and are handling stray light superbly well. I guess, considering the huge price difference, I shouldn’t expect the Lynx HD+ to fully reach that level, but if the 10x50 does get close, preferably better than the HD 8x30 regarding stray light/veiling glare, I might think of those on the long run to complement my regular 8x32 rather than a great 10x42 (Bonelli 2, Ibis ED, Habicht or second hand alpha roof).

Last edited:
Review of the new 8x30 HD+ Sounds like most of the differences are mechanical and make it nicer to use.

https://www.petewalkden.co.uk/2019/10/26/kite-lynx-hd-8x30-binoculars/

This is indeed what I had also heard from Kite themselves: the difference being mainly (1) cosmetic/casing, (2) very little improvement to the coatings, but (3) mainly better eyecups.
However, I’ve never tested a larger format Lynx (beyond 8x30mm) and am thus very curious to know if the (new) larger is better 10x50 regarding glare/flare/... . It seems to be the case for the 8x42 based on Canip’s experience and it might thus also be the case for the 10x50, which would make them tremendously interesting. They are probably not just and upscaled version of the 8x30 and might have a different optical formula and baffling etc.
I’m still very curious about this and would love to hear some hands-on experience with them, or to test them myself...

With the 8x30 hd+ on my wishlist, I could only find a relatively easy reachable (2hrs train ride) dealer with a 10x30. Just went there, proved to be a earlier normal HD...so tested that. I wasn't really impressed by the optical quality. It was absolutely decent, but nothing that stood out. Sharpness was just fine with a little bit of CA on a further off dark treeline against bright cloud, colors neutral, no remarkable clarity (but hey it's a 10x30).I found the sweet spot not very large, about 70% but could refocus to get that sharp. Focus was really nice, soft and fast. Eyecups a bit soft (but that should be better on the hd+), compact shape and armour gave a very nice handfeel.

So decent bins, certainly for the price, they should get the job done but nothing stellar imho. But again, these were the older normal HD, and still not the 8x30 I was aiming for (do I say "was"? Well, esp the FOV and close focus appeal to me and thought the 10x30 would give me an idea of the general optical quality. Now that doesn't seem to satisfy as I hoped, the "want" seems to subside already). Maybe I should just order a pair to try and return if again not satisfying. Want to try a Minox HG as well, (another 2hrs train ride) but that needs to wait til next week.

Last edited:
With the 8x30 hd+ on my wishlist, I could only find a relatively easy reachable (2hrs train ride) dealer with a 10x30. Just went there, proved to be a earlier normal HD...so tested that. I wasn't really impressed by the optical quality. It was absolutely decent, but nothing that stood out. Sharpness was just fine with a little bit of CA on a further off dark treeline against bright cloud, colors neutral, no remarkable clarity (but hey it's a 10x30).I found the sweet spot not very large, about 70% but could refocus to get that sharp. Focus was really nice, soft and fast. Eyecups a bit soft (but that should be better on the hd+), compact shape and armour gave a very nice handfeel.

So decent bins, certainly for the price, they should get the job done but nothing stellar imho. But again, these were the older normal HD, and still not the 8x30 I was aiming for (do I say "was"? Well, esp the FOV and close focus appeal to me and thought the 10x30 would give me an idea of the general optical quality. Now that doesn't seem to satisfy as I hoped, the "want" seems to subside already). Maybe I should just order a pair to try and return if again not satisfying. Want to try a Minox HG as well, (another 2hrs train ride) but that needs to wait til next week.

Interesting. I’ve never tried the 10x30 (I find 10x magnification more comfortable in 40+ mm sizes.) I’m wondering if the 10x30 and 8x30 strongly differ. Maybe the smaller exit pupil impacts the perceived optical quality?
I actually quite like the eyecups, not finding them too soft, except for the lack of locks/clicks, which should be solved in the HD+.
Regarding the handfeel, I fully agree. I consider them being a perfect size/weight/shape.
Optically, it doesn’t have that little special colour rendition and sparkle of my Ultravid 8x32, but I don’t see a real difference in brightness. Regarding sharpness, it is hard to say. I don’t think I can really see more details with the Ultravids, but there is that special difference I can’t explain that make me favour the Ultravids optically: contrast?, Leica colours, perfect blackening(!! incredibly reliable in all conditions, preserving great contrast in challenging lighting). Kite emphasizes the large FOV of the Lynx. Its FOV is really good, but I’m wondering if it isn’t a little overrated. But indeed, it is less sharp at the borders (field curvature? i don’t know), but that never bothered me at all on the field (as opposed to its veiling/glare).
Considering the huge price difference (at least 3x less than any alpha 8x32), I strongly recommend the Lynx 8x30 HD(+ for the eyecups), to anyone not wanting to spend €1000 or more (understandably most of the people I know :) ), except for those who are sensible to veiling/glare or using their binoculars often in situations easily causing it.
I should write up my personal findings comparing these, also with the Victory 8x25 and Docter 8x30 some day. (Difficult to find the time for it at the moment.)

Last edited:
Im intressed in lynx 8x42
I bought a Kite Lynx HD+ 10x50 from Belgium. It arrived with a hair stuck on the inside of the objective lens. So that was not a good first impression. For as expensive as they are I feel the build quality looks "cheap". There is a sticker on the front of the focuser wheel that looks like a cheap decal for example. I felt the optics were average on it and didn't impress me that much. The Kite is I believe built by Kamakura and I think sometimes Kamakura build quality can be inconsistent. At that $800 price point I would stick with a well known brand like a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. You will also have much better resale down the road if you were to sell it.

I bought a Kite Lynx HD+ 10x50 from Belgium. It arrived with a hair stuck on the inside of the objective lens. So that was not a good first impression. For as expensive as they are I feel the build quality looks "cheap". There is a sticker on the front of the focuser wheel that looks like a cheap decal for example. I felt the optics were average on it and didn't impress me that much. The Kite is I believe built by Kamakura and I think sometimes Kamakura build quality can be inconsistent. At that $800 price point I would stick with a well known brand like a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. You will also have much better resale down the road if you were to sell it.
Thank you

I have both a Kite Lynx HD (not +) 8x30 and Leica Ultravid 8x32.
It is true the Ultravid’s build quality is better, feeling almost perfectly built, but I don’t really have complaints about the Lynx’s build quality (only for its eyecups not locking -solved in the HD+ - and for its worse glare/veiling/reflections). The Lynx is really good value for money. Yes, the UV is better, but, unless you are sensitive to veiling/glare/reflections and using your binoculars often in challenging lighting (apparently I am), I find it difficult to recommend buying 3x more expensive binoculars of the same format. (I also bought my UV’s second hand.)
I’m really curious about the new HD+ 10x50, more specifically regarding its baffling (false pupils?) and handling of challenging light conditions (veiling/glare/reflections?). If it doesn’t have that weakness of its little 8x30-brother, I might go for one as a low-light brother for my Ultravid 8x32. Did you have the opportunity to assess it on those aspects?
I will keep my UV 8x32 (which will remain my main binoculars, great weight, size, optics...) and my Victory 8x25 (for when I need something pocketable), but I would like to also have something giving a brighter image for use when there is less light (dusk, dawn, almost night). Still hesitating between 7-8x42 or 10x50 (all 56mm being too heavy, only the Zeiss HT 54mm being potentially bearable weight-wise for me, but too expensive). The Lynx HD+ 10x50 sounds like an interesting option for such uses. And Kite’s HQ is only about 1hour driving from here and has great warranty, thus I don’t fear ending up with a hair in my binoculars (which shouldn’t happen in the first place, you are right).

It is true the Ultravid’s build quality is better, feeling almost perfectly built, but I don’t really have complaints about the Lynx’s build quality (only for its eyecups not locking -solved in the HD+ - and for its worse glare/veiling/reflections). The Lynx is really good value for money. Yes, the UV is better, but, unless you are sensitive to veiling/glare/reflections and using your binoculars often in challenging lighting (apparently I am), I find it difficult to recommend buying 3x more expensive binoculars of the same format. (I also bought my UV’s second hand.)
I’m really curious about the new HD+ 10x50, more specifically regarding its baffling (false pupils?) and handling of challenging light conditions (veiling/glare/reflections?). If it doesn’t have that weakness of its little 8x30-brother, I might go for one as a low-light brother for my Ultravid 8x32. Did you have the opportunity to assess it on those aspects?
I will keep my UV 8x32 (which will remain my main binoculars, great weight, size, optics...) and my Victory 8x25 (for when I need something pocketable), but I would like to also have something giving a brighter image for use when there is less light (dusk, dawn, almost night). Still hesitating between 7-8x42 or 10x50 (all 56mm being too heavy, only the Zeiss HT 54mm being potentially bearable weight-wise for me, but too expensive). The Lynx HD+ 10x50 sounds like an interesting option for such uses. And Kite’s HQ is only about 1hour driving from here and has great warranty, thus I don’t fear ending up with a hair in my binoculars (which shouldn’t happen in the first place, you are right).
Thank you

Both the Kite Lynx HD+ 10x50 and the Kite Stabilized APC 14x42 I had were terrible for glare and had poor build quality. I would not recommend them at all. If you want a 10x50 at the same price as the Kite that is WAY better built and has WAY better optics get the Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50. It even beats the Swarovski EL 10x50 in the Allbinos ranking for 1/3 of the money! It is a big heavy porro with IF focusing but if you're already carrying 2 pounds what is another pound? Lose it off your stomach! You really don't have to focus it that much unless you are using it close up a lot. It is one of the best binoculars I have ever looked through.

Both the Kite Lynx HD+ 10x50 and the Kite Stabilized APC 14x42 I had were terrible for glare and had poor build quality. I would not recommend them at all. If you want a 10x50 at the same price as the Kite that is WAY better built and has WAY better optics get the Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50. It even beats the Swarovski EL 10x50 in the Allbinos ranking for 1/3 of the money! It is a big heavy porro with IF focusing but if you're already carrying 2 pounds what is another pound? Lose it off your stomach! You really don't have to focus it that much unless you are using it close up a lot. It is one of the best binoculars I have ever looked through.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back