• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus August 2019 (1 Viewer)

Thanks gents- now back in windy Northampton but at least the humidity is down. A brief overview of the trip and a few thoughts- 52 species seen and I was basically only in the Paphos area with a couple of trips into the mountains. I know I would have done better to just have managed to get to Akrotiri but the family and the humidity were both factors in not doing so. The fact that I saw no waterfowl at all, and very few seabirds, meant that it was always going to be a limited list,and the time of year was an obvious factor. So a few thoughts-
1. Apart from the common 6- Swallow, Hooded Crow, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Wood Pigeon and House Sparrow, it was necessary to travel to specific locations.
2. The irrigated farmlands near the coast at Paphos SW and Mandria Fields were far more productive than other areas and the star species there was Yellow Wagtail, with lots of adult and juvenile birds to look at including the eastern races, particularly feldegg.
3. Raptors are there but apart from Kestrel none of them were seen more than once.
4. Seawatching was almost hopeless unless you had the time and an air-conditioned mansion overlooking the coast- apart from YLGull and Shag in very small numbers there seemed to be nothing about.
5. Up in the mountains the birding was easier and cooler, and I would rate Troodos as the best place I went to- seeing the endemic species and subspecies in very pleasant surroundings.
6. There are still surprises to be had such as seeing the Demoiselle Cranes at a place they are not supposed to be at!
7. Shrikes are plentiful and even in hot weather easier to see than most other passerines.
8. Next time must go in the spring.
9. Driving is easy- the roads are much quieter than in Britain and the car parks are free.
10. The Greater Sandplovers always stay in the same place!

So thanks for reading this and here is the simple trip list- please see the individual days for where, when and how many.

Chukar
Shag (desmarestii)
Cattle Egret
Grey Heron
Purple Heron
Marsh Harrier
Kestrel
Hobby
Eleonora's Falcon
Demoiselle Crane
Stone Curlew
Greater Sand Plover
Spur-winged Lapwing
Temminck's Stint
Green Sandpiper
Whimbrel
Yellow-legged Gull
Feral Pigeon
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Turtle Dove
Laughing Dove
Swift
Kingfisher
Bee=eater
Roller
Crested Lark
Crag Martin
Swallow
House Martin
Yellow Wagtail
Northern Wheatear
Cyprus Wheatear
Sardinian Warbler
Zitting Cisticola
Willow Warbler
Spotted Flycatcher
Great Tit
(Cyprus) Coal Tit
Lesser Grey Shrike
Red-backed Shrike
Woodchat Shrike
Masked Shrike
Magpie
(Cyprus) Jay
Jackdaw
Hooded Crow
House Sparrow
Spanish Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
(Cyprus) Crossbill

(Little Bittern) SHOT

Thanks to all who gave advice, to Dave Gosney for the site guide, and to the Birdlife Cyprus news page.
Hugh Matthews September 2019

A nice summary Hugh! Just noticed you didn't connect with Cyprus Warbler - is it too late in the year?

Chris

Thanks again- re the Cuprus Warbler- I did try and find and scrutinise every possible warbler that I found or heard- but apart from the noisy Sardinians and obvious Willows it was very hard going in the heat with everything keeping out of sight- still, it leaves something to find if I ever visit again!

Thanks again- re the Cuprus Warbler- I did try and find and scrutinise every possible warbler that I found or heard- but apart from the noisy Sardinians and obvious Willows it was very hard going in the heat with everything keeping out of sight- still, it leaves something to find if I ever visit again!

Always nice to have a reason to go back!

Chris

Thanks John- I hope that your health holds up- and you are sure to get a longer Cyprus list than me as you will be with the local experts. Hugh

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back