• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-821M Used. Would you buy (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Found above scope used with zoom under $500. In very good condition.

Current using a 80 mm. Celestron regal.

As anyone familiar with this older kowa scope? Would it be a good replacement upgrade for celestron?

The 821M is a standard glass scope,versus the ED glass used in your Regal..If you Regal is a decent unit,I dont think the kowa is an upgrade in any ways..even a good unit of an F/5,5 non ED scope ,it is going to show false color at high power.I only have experience with the Regal 65, but I am sure the 80 mm is a good scope ,an unless your unit is a real lemon ,the 821 is not what you want to upgrade to....also 500 dollars (or so)for that scope seems expensive.If you find an 823 or a Nikon Fieldscope 82 for a similar price ,that might be a worthy try,but then again,If your Regal is a good unit you are going to Need a really good scope to see the much improvement.
Get yourself the Baader zoom to improve your Regal,an you still have enough money left for a celestron hummingbird ED 55 to complement your kit

Thanks for the info, that’s what I needed to know. Will keep saving my pennies for a vortex razor series

Hi,

I agree, if the Regal is a good example, keep it and maybe get a few nicer EPs.

Learn to star test it to see, if it's worth keeping.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back