• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100's of Gyr-falcons released into the scottish countryside (1 Viewer)

This is not good news (there's another thread on it somewhere on here).

These are not wild releases, but hybrids and pure birds for the falconry (bird hunting) industry being released into the ecosystem prior to being recaptured.

Are you having a laugh!

These are falconers birds, non natives and including purpose bred hybrids.

Whoops - that was just a quick post with my last few % of battery before reading the article. Have Edited my original post. I'd just taken them to be re-introductions - is Scotland not cold enough for them or something? :cat:
Why on earth would this be approved? - sounds dodgy as, and must have a severe impact on native prey animals ......

SNH sounds like it's got a lack of integrity or governance somewhere. Have further read some criticisms from within.

Chosun :gh:

Whoops - that was just a quick post with my last few % of battery before reading the article. Have Edited my original post. I'd just taken them to be re-introductions - is Scotland not cold enough for them or something? :cat:
Why on earth would this be approved? - sounds dodgy as, and must have a severe impact on native prey animals ......

SNH sounds like it's got a lack of integrity or governance somewhere. Have further read some criticisms from within.

Interesting read of the comments below the article if you have the time - and yes certainly not a breeding species in recent times at least. Maybe some disturbance and that they are a high arctic breeding species.

So these guys are training their falcons at the expense of the public - or am I missing something? What do the local grouse moor owners have to say about this, I thought they had a lot of influence or something?

It has since come to light that SNH required a bird survey of the area before approving the licence. This was carried out on a single day and covered within 1 km of the release site only, requiring the collection of evidence of breeding Schedule 1 species in the vicinity.
So this is they people conduct surveys over there. Are the people at SNH mentally handicapped or just corrupt?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back