• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will great horned owls predate barn owls? Less likely if box is in barn? (1 Viewer)

Greetings,

I live in Southern California, USA, in an area where we have lots of great horned owls, and what I think is a pretty good amount of barn owls (rural area, lots of ranches and barns, infinity field mice). I inherited a nice barn owl box I was thinking of putting up on a pole on my property, but we get so many horned owls here, I fear I'd be putting up a death trap for a barn owl family.

Alternately, I could give it to my neighbor who has a big, high open barn...exactly the kind of space barn owls would be attracted to. Yes, great horned owls could probably raid a barn owl box in a barn, but it seems to me less likely to do so compared to a box on a pole.

Any thoughts and advice on these issues is much appreciated. How worried should I be about a box on a pole getting successfully attacked by great horned owls? Would any such danger be significantly reduced if the box is in a barn?

Thanx!

Otherchuck

Possibly, but as you have a reasonable amount of Barn Owls in the area I would suggest a box within a barn as more likely to be of interest. If not for breeding, it may suffice as a good daytime roost. Research here in the UK indicates a much lower "take up" percentage of boxes on isolated poles,from my interpretation.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back