Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mid-price binoculars recommendation

Old Friday 10th January 2020, 11:49   #1
SzimiStyle
The Shorebird Addict

Mid-price binoculars recommendation

I have used different binoculars of the top brands in the past but for a variety of reasons I need to 'down'grade(?) a bit. I have been looking for high-performing alternatives on a much lower price tag than the Zeiss Victory SF, Leicas or the Swarovision (always the 10x models).

I'm doing my very confusing research but wonder what you would think about it and advise me to look at. Nikon HG? Non-high end Zeisses, Leicas or Swarovskis? Celestron? KOWA Genesis? Budget is between 600-1,200.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback.
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 11:36   #2
yarrellii

I think a budget of 600-1,200 allows you to aim really high. Since you live in the UK (and not far away from big cities) my advice would be to go second hand (provided you can try the devices). The top-end of the previous generation (FL, UV-HD, etc.) is usually within your budget, and can provide incredible performance.
A 10x42 FL, for example, is an incredible performer, and is usually seen within your budget.
I don't use 10x that much, but in the 7x-8x format, I'd seriously consider choosing a used FL over a new HG (although the 10x42 HG is so small and light that it becomes so desirable).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: