• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New for 2019, Meopta Optika (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link, I'd only seen a press releases.

Perhaps not the model we've been waiting for from Meopta, but an interesting price point. Looks like a Terra competitor to me. The interesting phrase in the description is "Premium European optics". Does that mean Meopta make the lenses? Hope so.

David

Just guessing, but maybe the stress on the "European" bit is because the Optika HD is only available for the US market? After all, the "perceived quality" of optics with a European pedigree is a strong selling point, isn't it?
I'm saying this because right now I'm looking at the non-US version of Meopta's web and the Optika HD are not listed yet, we get the Meopro HD instead (See screenshots of both sites, taken today 23.01.19). Maybe it's just a matter of time for the Optika to show up in the non-US version of the web, but it's kind of weird either way.

Attachments

• Meopta USA.jpg
    Meopta USA.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 199
  • MeoptaNonUSA.jpg
    MeoptaNonUSA.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 233
David, post 2,
It would really surprise me if Meopta does not make the lenses and other optical components, since it is a large supplier for lenses etc. for many companies.
Gijs van Ginkel

I wonder how it will stack up to the Meopro. If its nothing special, then it seems like a redundant line between the Meopro and Meosport.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Meopro 8x42 before I sold it. And I will never forget my Meostar 12x50 HD. That was a beautiful glass. Wish they made the 10x50 in HD.

I wonder what the profit for these will be for Meopta as compared to the Meostar line in a few years (if they are a good value). Nikon did it with the entry level Monarch series, Zeiss with the Terra line. I am sure that there great profit margins here (for their sport optics business) ,selling lower cost glass. I have a couple of the Meostar models neither with HD, IMHO the best value optics out there. To me they represent more of a premium glass with respect to optics and build quality.

Andy W.

It seems everything under $500. is made in China. Where is the pricing of this new Meopta ?

I did not see that mentioned.

Jerry

I think that Meopta is just making a name change, and may be just dropping the Meopro model.

This is just to distinguish the lower Meopro from the Meostar, flagship.

Perhaps you are right about the replacement Jerry, I have not seen any prices for these yet. Additionally,your avatar is new again, bird ID?

Andy W.

It seems everything under $500. is made in China. Where is the pricing of this new Meopta ?

I did not see that mentioned.

Jerry

Jerry and Andy

Prices are a shade under $300, so placing these models right in the US market sweet spot. No word on whether these might come to Europe.

Lee

This was the Meopta Shot shown press release.
"Company: Meopta USA
Meopta USA Sport Optics is pleased to introduce the new Optika HD binocular line. Available in 8x42 HD and 10x42 HD, these lightweight, rugged, magnesium-alloy binoculars are encased in a newly designed shock-proof, rubber-armored exterior for a modern look and feel. The advanced HD lenses, combined with phase-correction and dielectric coatings, deliver incredible brightness, superior color fidelity, edge-to-edge sharpness and increased contrast, allowing hunters to see better in low light. The twist-up eyecups on the Optika HD binoculars are metal with a soft rubber exterior, making them extremely durable and comfortable while eliminating the risk of breakage in the field. Like all Meopta binoculars, the Optika HD series is nitrogen purged and fully sealed for fogproof and waterproof performance in the most demanding conditions. Meopta Optika HD 8x42 - $289.95; Meopta Optika HD 10x42 $299.95"

David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back