• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D E-M1X (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
Anybody using this camera ? would be grateful for your thoughts on it and any pictures. Currently using Canon but thinking of changing.

Cheers Geoff.

Anybody using this camera ? would be grateful for your thoughts on it and any pictures. Currently using Canon but thinking of changing.

Cheers Geoff.

Read David Tipling blog, lots of facts from a truly great Pro wildlife photographer who switched from Nikon after many years and has no regrets. He has since become an Olympus mentor but his comments are totally unbiased as he had no affiliation prior to or during the decision to go forvit.

Geof, just looked at your flickr images some lovely work, the cormorant with a Pike is smashing.

What i will say as a EM1MK11 user since the latest firmware update i would expect it to cope with everything you have on there so the 1X should be overkill in the best way possible.

A bit late with this but I hope it's still of use to the OP. I own both the EM1X and the EM1ii.
I'm a birder who likes to take photographs, rather than a wildlife photographer.
I switched from Nikon DSLR gear to M43 several years ago, and have never regretted it. My standard birding kit is the EM1X/300 Pro & 1.4x, easily carried on a sling strap all day and used hand-held.
Very happy with the M43 image quality: I'm not a pixel peeper (each to their own) - I require images that look fine to me on a big iMac screen and will produce good prints to A3 size when required. Those parameters are met by M43 system, no problems. IQ is similar for the EM1X and EM1ii ( though the EM1X also has handheld Hi-res ability).
Since the latest firmware upgrade, the EM1ii CAF is noticablly better than it was (not that is was bad) for stills and hugely better for video. CAF now comes at least very close to matching that of the EM1X, which is excellent.
Here are some random pics from this birder with the EM1ii (first two) and the EM1X.
To see what pro photographers can do with the M43 system, I suggest you check out the thoughts and images of Petr Bambousek and David Tipling.

Attachments

• AK002Sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Aug18.jpg
    AK002Sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Aug18.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 147
  • W016CrpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.May18.jpg
    W016CrpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.May18.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 126
  • HGargentatus01Forum.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Feb19.jpg
    HGargentatus01Forum.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Feb19.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 131
  • GX027forum.EM1X.300&1.4x.Jun19.jpg
    GX027forum.EM1X.300&1.4x.Jun19.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 104
  • SL146juv.Forum.EM1X.314x.Aug19.jpg
    SL146juv.Forum.EM1X.314x.Aug19.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 127
A bit late with this but I hope it's still of use to the OP. I own both the EM1X and the EM1ii.
I'm a birder who likes to take photographs, rather than a wildlife photographer.
I switched from Nikon DSLR gear to M43 several years ago, and have never regretted it. My standard birding kit is the EM1X/300 Pro & 1.4x, easily carried on a sling strap all day and used hand-held.
Very happy with the M43 image quality: I'm not a pixel peeper (each to their own) - I require images that look fine to me on a big iMac screen and will produce good prints to A3 size when required. Those parameters are met by M43 system, no problems. IQ is similar for the EM1X and EM1ii ( though the EM1X also has handheld Hi-res ability).
Since the latest firmware upgrade, the EM1ii CAF is noticablly better than it was (not that is was bad) for stills and hugely better for video. CAF now comes at least very close to matching that of the EM1X, which is excellent.
Here are some random pics from this birder with the EM1ii (first two) and the EM1X.
To see what pro photographers can do with the M43 system, I suggest you check out the thoughts and images of Petr Bambousek and David Tipling.

Hi,
I'm also interested in this setup, and I'd like to know how it compares to DSLR regarding AF accuracy/speed in particular conditions.
Most reviews talk about still birds, or in flight but in good conditions of visibility.
I would like to know the performance of the AF when you hunt for fast warblers under the canopy.
With my actual setup (5D mark III + 100-400 II + 1.4x) I have the feeling it's pretty hard to get accurate shot all the time. The AF doesn't "catch" the bird easily.
Without the 1.4x extender it is MUCH better, and most of the shots are in focus, but I'm missing the extra focal range...

So, how does the EM1-II + 300 + 1.4x perform under the trees ?

Thanks if you have the answer!

I know the best way would be to rent one and try by myself!!

Hi,
I'm also interested in this setup, and I'd like to know how it compares to DSLR regarding AF accuracy/speed in particular conditions.
Most reviews talk about still birds, or in flight but in good conditions of visibility.
I would like to know the performance of the AF when you hunt for fast warblers under the canopy.
With my actual setup (5D mark III + 100-400 II + 1.4x) I have the feeling it's pretty hard to get accurate shot all the time. The AF doesn't "catch" the bird easily.
Without the 1.4x extender it is MUCH better, and most of the shots are in focus, but I'm missing the extra focal range...

So, how does the EM1-II + 300 + 1.4x perform under the trees ?

Thanks if you have the answer!

I know the best way would be to rent one and try by myself!!

The Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 + 1.4xTX will be f/8 at the long end. That's not great for focusing on fast things or in non-optimal light. The 5D3 might only focus with the middle sensors at that f-stop.

The EM1-II + 300mm f/4 is a 600mm f/4 lens in 35mm terms, compared to the 560mm f/8 lens you are using. So even without the 1.4x TC on the olympus you are way ahead! I've shot the EM1-II with the 300mm f/4 with and without the TC (840mm f/5.6 with it). I thought it did well with the TC, but I preferred the Panasonic 100-400 over the 300mm f/4 + TC. I only used these for a few days when I could borrow one, so I don't have deep experience with it.

Marc

I use the 300 f4 Pro almost all the time when I'm birding, usuallly with the MC1.4 attached so f5.6 and 840mm in 35mm terms. Using the smallest focus square and (since firmware update 3.1) CAF+MF I feel confident that the combo will do its autofocus job well as long as I do mine and keep the focus square on the target. How it compares to the latest Dslrs I couldn't say, but its certainly better than the D300/Sigma 300 2.8 I used to use.

Attachments

• BC031sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    BC031sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 125
  • BC030sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    BC030sml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 103
  • CC010crpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    CC010crpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 102
  • CC011crpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Apr18.jpg
    CC011crpSml.EM1ii.300&1.4x.Apr18.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 110
  • PF011Sml.EM1ii.300.1.4x.jpg
    PF011Sml.EM1ii.300.1.4x.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back