• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron DBA VHD+ (10 x 42) (1 Viewer)

prm

Just a quick query as to whether anyone has any experience of these binoculars. I'm thinking of getting a pair for my beloved for xmas. She currently has a pair of Opticron Verano 10 x 42 which I think are a brilliant pair of bins... my question is whether the DBA VHD+ are markedly better than the verano?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

prm,

With ED glass and improved coatings the DBA VHD+ will have a bit less colour fringing (CA), and might appear a little brighter and sharper, but I couldn't say how noticable it would be to your wife. Otherwise the the specifications appear quite similar. One of the appeals of the Verano was the generous eye relief for those who wear glasses. The specifications list it as 22mm compared to 17mm with the DBA VHD+, but I don't know how much difference it will make in practice.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/verano-bga-hd-binoculars/verano-bga-hd-10x42
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/dba-vhd-plus-binoculars/dba-vhd-10x42

It might be your wife would find the look and feel of another Opticron reassuringly familiar, but there are one or two interesting alternatives out there which might be worth a look. I don't know the retailers up your way, but perhaps the Caerlaverock Wetlands Centre might be worth a look?

David

Thanks for the feedback David,

Her Veranos are actually the DBA.PC single hinge version (see https://www.allbinos.com/103-binoculars_review-Opticron_Verano_10x42_BGA_PC.html) , - I really can't remember how old they are but they are really very good... so one would expect the VHD+ to be significantly better

Caerlaverlock don't hold much stock (I used to volunteer there) - but 'infocus' are there on Sunday so I'll drop by if I get the chance... what are the "interesting alternatives" that you mention? I have seen makes such as Bresser and Hawke which get good reviews

cheers

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

I think I remember the single hinge Verano. The DBA VHD+ would be a significant improvement.

Nikon have the Monarch 7 and Monarch HG priced either side of the VHD. The Hawke EDX is certainly worth a look, but may lack the build quality of something like the Opticron. The latest Vortex Viper and Meopta Meopro might well appeal as well, if you can track them down, and the new Kowa BDII XD is stirring up some interest on the forum. I'm not sure what InFocus would bring along, but I suggest your wife should have a good look at the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Might not be the obvious replacement for the Verano, but some here think it's good enough to be their first choice for birding.

David

... thanks again David - good to know that the VHD+ should be significantly better. The other models are also more food for thought!

Quick update ... I tried the Opticron DBA VHD+ at Caerlaverock yesterday, I found them to be excellent. Clearly they aren't up to the standard of the £1K+ models but for the price I think they are great value for money.

Even better - Opticron are running a £80 cashback on this model until the end of January ... so they were bought and the beloved will have a surprise this xmas for a change!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back