• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

T4 monocular mini review (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
T4 Trailfinder WP 8 {10} x 25 monocular mini review

Took the new monocular out for a little walk. (I should point out that tho I decided to get the 8x25 Amazon delivered me a 10x25. )
The light was very low today, and yet it performed admirably-optically at least. Very sharp from edge to centre and bright with good contrast. I saw a blackbird in a tree. It was getting dark by this time, yet I was able to see the spots on its breast quite easily, despite it initially looking like a dark blob against the brighter sky. Very good.
A couple of issues though. First the focussing. These monoculars use a kind of lever device to move the focus barrel, which itself is quite stiff. And it needs a careful touch in order to get the focus right. Something I will get used to, and hopefully the barrel will loosen up. Also its meant to be used one handed-probably the main reason monoculars exist, one handed birding. But I got a mono because I am blind in one eye, so I don't need binoculars. As such I still use it two handed, holding it with my left hand while focussing with the other, and I can't help thinking a more conventional focussing method would have been much better. (Albeit today I had my dog with me, on the lead for part of the walk, so one handed operation is definitely handy there)
The other issue is the lens caps. It has two. One that has a cap keeper type of loop for the objective, and the other is a simple cap for the eyepiece. The trouble is that cap doesn't fit. Its slightly too big and just falls off. As such I removed the objective cap and fitted it to the eyepiece barrel. But that way it gets in the way when you quickly lift the monocular to the eye. So I will probably cut the loop off and fasten it to the wrist strap tab. I will also need to source another lens cap for the other end that fits.
The funny thing is my old spotting scope (an Opticron Classic IF2) also has a lens cap that doesn't fit. The objective for the scope is 75mm, but the cap supplied is a 77mm lens cap, probably from a camera lens! It seems Opticron has an issue with lens caps!

But despite these niggles this is a very good device. The detail and sharpness is very good, the view is quite wide and it works well with my glasses thanks to the adjustable eyepiece barrel.
A keeper!

Last edited:
Cyclops,

Thanks for sharing, and happy new year.

So you will stick to the 10X, do you think about the 8X?.

Speaking of the dog on the lead, I once tried to take my older Bushnell monocular with me for a walk with the dogs, and I used bunji cords tied to my belt, it was not a good idea, they are herding dogs and took off after a squirrel, needless to say, a bit scraped up but I still have that monocular. (Bushnell used to make some great cases out of metal).

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back