• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small copper (1 Viewer)

NickPatel92

Nothing special, and i'm not starting another continuous drawing thread, but just thought i'd share this. Based on a Small copper at warton crag.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC02958a.jpg
    DSC02958a.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 98
A non-avian subject in the art forums at last!!

Very rarely see drawings/paintings of insects etc on here so makes a nice change ..it's a great little work:t:

Matt

Hi Nick- love your website and yes drawing can be addictive and very rewarding- it makes you really look doesn't it.

Great to see some butterflies, they're so much harder than birds because their shape doesn't change much (at least with birds you can say, well it looked like that at the time!). Got a hummingbird hawkmoth to post tomorrow (bedtime now!) Are you familiar with the work of David Measures? His butterflies are well worth a look.

Just made an attempt at a quick watercolour, and looking back at my picture, now it's on the computer, not sure why? (went a bit wrong in the reeds)

Attachments

• DSC02995a.jpg
    DSC02995a.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 79
Just made an attempt at a quick watercolour, and looking back at my picture, now it's on the computer, not sure why? (went a bit wrong in the reeds)

Can't help with the watercolours as I don't actually use them ..or paint at all!
However there are plenty on here who do who will be able to advise, I guess making mistakes is all part of the learning process so all I can say is well done for posting up what you have acheived so far, a great start.

Matt

Nick - art is a 'doing' thing - you only do it by doing it. You're making a start (and quite a successful one, too) and that is the main thing. You keep on working at it and you'll soon be amazing yourself.

I agree completely with what others have already said. You've made a very positive start and, now that the journey has begun, you will find that your progress will be steady and will provide you with more than just the paintings/drawings themselves.

One important thing to remember is that, whether you think you've 'gone a bit wrong' or whether you are particularly pleased, you learn each time you make a mark. If it's a 'disaster' you can ask yourself why? How did it end up this way? What did I do or what didn't I do? How did the paint behave? What exactly am I unhappy with? Once you've asked yourself all those sorts of questions about a piece, turn the questions around, what do I like about it? How would the paint have behaved differently, and how could I use that in a positive way? And so on.

Good luck!

Woody

BTW, my favourite butterfly painters are Richard Tratt and Gordon Benningfield.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back