• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rate -/10 please? first ever serious attempt (1 Viewer)

Hi fast falkon. As this is your first attempt at a kingfisher? I would give this 5 out of 10 as a brave try. You need to do lots of practice and be a bit looser with the pencil to give more texture and contrast. The overall shape isn't too bad though! The main thing is to enjoy drawing and do lots of it. Hope this is ok? Cheers from Steve.

Kingfisher is a very tricky bird to tackle FF. The way that the oranges, whites, blues and blacks interlock around the head needs a lot of careful observation to work out!

Steve's right about the shape you've got and also about drawing in a looser way. Try getting hold of some big paper, and drawing 'from your elbow' if that makes sense.

Perhaps try a nearly life size heron or somesuch if you want a birdy subject, or better yet, draw some random objects that you can collect up, shoes, soft toys, twigs etc. It will help with the flow of your lines and you'll see your drawing will improve a syou practice.

Pretty good effort I'd say, and keep it up, you'll enjoy it more and more and then you'll be as hooked as the rest of us!

Woody

I think the advice offered above is sound. What I think I'd suggest is to look at the larger shapes of head, body and tail - look where the legs emerge from the feathery body and keep them simple. The detail ought to be added later, once the drawing looks right.
Simple fact - the more you do the better you'll get.
Keep at it.

definitely the best advice is to keep practicing and to keep pushing yourself, looking forward to seeing more.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back