• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Sigma 150-500mm lens (1 Viewer)

I have owned the 150-500 for a year now ad thought I would throw in my two peneth for what its worth. Firstly I would point out that I'm not a photographer, rather a birder who carries a camera! I use the lens with a 30D. My whole set up is, like most, dictated by funds, I was saving for the 100-400 canon but it was always a couple of hundred quid away! I would say that if you're after nigel blake-esque (et al) results then this is not the piece of kit to do it. However, if you're after a fairly versitial, relatively affordable lens which you do not intend to print poster size pics, then its definately worth a look. A few of the better results are posted along with spur of the moment record shots.

Attachments

• Silvereyeweb.jpg
    Silvereyeweb.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Short-tailed Grass-Wrenweb.jpg
    Short-tailed Grass-Wrenweb.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Harrier, Montagu's femaleweb.jpg
    Harrier, Montagu's femaleweb.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 317
  • LRP1web.jpg
    LRP1web.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 338
  • Pallid Harrier, Aylmerton.JPG
    Pallid Harrier, Aylmerton.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 235
Andy , I,m also a birder with a camera , but would just like to get a few shots a bit steadier than present.The 150-500 looks to be the answer and it,s in my price range after I sell the bigma.

My partner & I have been using the 150-500 Sigma lens since the middle of June having bought the Canon 50D on the same day for our initial foray into bird photography (away from digiscoping). Very pleased with the results, but already want more!

Attachments

• Red-leggedPartridge.jpg
    Red-leggedPartridge.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 325
Does anyone use the big Sigma on a monopod?

I just wondered which was the better OS setting, the manual says to turn the OS to off when on a tripod, but the monopod is not really the same I guess.

In this case, the monopod really is the same as a tripod - you're using it to support and stabilise the lens/camera combo. I think the issue is to do with the gyroscopic vibrations of the OS encountering the rigidity of the supporting tri/monopod. I've seen it give some weird bokeh and sometimes some images with movement that's been created by the vibrations.

Having said that, I've often used my 80-400 lens with the OS on without any problem, although most commonly in just the panning mode (2?) rather than the full mode (1?). So the best thing is to try both ways and see what works for you.

Neil

In this case, the monopod really is the same as a tripod - you're using it to support and stabilise the lens/camera combo. I think the issue is to do with the gyroscopic vibrations of the OS encountering the rigidity of the supporting tri/monopod. I've seen it give some weird bokeh and sometimes some images with movement that's been created by the vibrations.

Having said that, I've often used my 80-400 lens with the OS on without any problem, although most commonly in just the panning mode (2?) rather than the full mode (1?). So the best thing is to try both ways and see what works for you.

Neil

And just to prove that I really am an idiot - I'll retract what I said in my first paragraph. As I've said, I've often used the OS turned on when using the monopod with good results, however, I did some shots the other day on my tripod with the OS on and the pics were terrible. So I was wrong, in this case a monopod and a tripod are not the same thing.

Sorry for anyone who was led astray by my stupidity.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've been doing a few comparison tests with the monopod too and more or less got the same results.

I used both the "0" and the "1" settings on the OS for similar shots. Most of the time the "0" setting was better but not always. Nothing is simple.

I've come to the conclusion that when I take a special shot, if it's at all possible and I have the time, I'll try on both settings but use the "0" one first.

I have owned the 150-500 for a year now ad thought I would throw in my two peneth for what its worth. Firstly I would point out that I'm not a photographer, rather a birder who carries a camera! I use the lens with a 30D. My whole set up is, like most, dictated by funds, I was saving for the 100-400 canon but it was always a couple of hundred quid away! I would say that if you're after nigel blake-esque (et al) results then this is not the piece of kit to do it. However, if you're after a fairly versitial, relatively affordable lens which you do not intend to print poster size pics, then its definately worth a look. A few of the better results are posted along with spur of the moment record shots.

I agree that its paid for itself - Pallid Harrier is beyond question!!:cat::cat:

Just some info if you need it ,just spoke to sigma uk,asking about serial numbers and how old the lens may be,if you have like me a lens with 8 digits,its of the very newest models,so alleviates the worries of the early probs encountered.very helpful by the way on which camera i use some settings etc.

thought id post a shot i took today as i was aked about the lens the other day this time on my 7d 150/500 at 500mm -1/1000 f8 iso 400 about 1 third of the frame .
Rob.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 233
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back