• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Not So Humble Pf80ed (1 Viewer)

Texun

Lunar image made with PF80ED, Canon A640, and 14mm Pentax XL eyepiece. This was one time that forgeting to use the BW mode came out looking pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0001-1.jpg
    IMG_0001-1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 356
Thanks Mick. I normally use my Black and white mode when imaging the moon. I may do more in color mode and control the earth shine with desaturizing with appropriate software.

Hi Texan

I'm just wondering how you attach your camera to the Pentax scope to the camera? Or were you just holding it up to the eyepiece for the moon shot?

I'd like to buy the Pentax 80 ED scope, but I'd also like to digiscope and not many people seem to have gone for that option. the Pentax digital camera doesn't seem to get a good rap!

Cheers,
flying fish

Hello

I use the Pentax scope for Digiscope and i'm quite satisfied.
However i think that the Pentax zoom isn't good for digiscope.

Now i use the Pentax XW20 eyepiece and 2 cameras, the Sony DSC-W7 and the Canon Powershot 570IS.

Both this cameras alow to mount lense via an adapter, with the adapter and a step ring i connect the cameras to the scope.

Jay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgrave/

Attachments

• scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 649
  • bee-eater.jpg
    bee-eater.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 272
Thankyou Jei,
Would you be so kind as to tell me what brand and model your adaptor is? And also, What brand and model is the 'step up' ring?
Thankyou
flying fish

Hi

They don't have brand, bought both of them on Ebay. Since the Pentax Eyepiece have 43mm thread i had to buy one Step-up ring to fit it. In the case of the Adapter for the Sony DSC-W7 the step up ring was 37-43mm.

But it all depends of the camera you have or intend to buy.

Jay

Hey Tex,
Try a polarizing filter on the eyepiece. It greatly reduces glare when photographing the moon, enhancing the image.

Also, the interesting part of the image is that near the horizon. If you shoot a partial moon you'll get a better image, without as much glare.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back