• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketch book (1 Viewer)

Can anyone help !

Need a book to help me start sketching the birds I see.

Have been told this will help with my identification skills !!

See loads of LBJ ( little brown jobs )

Field guides are good at telling you the difference between similar birds but being a 'rookie' to this unles they are side by side its of no much help.

Hi John,

I'm a little confused what you plan to do.

If you have trouble with identifying a bird, you can make a very simple skretch and fill details in. This is very simple skretch - one oval for body, second for head, two lines for neck, triangle for wing, line for bill etc. And lots of comments like "wing much smaller than on a skretch".

If you want to learn drawing birds for it's own sake, buy a general book about drawing. Then try skretching stuffed birds, Mallards, your parrot or cage birds - whatever does not fly away.

cheers,

John Newbury said:
Can anyone help !

Need a book to help me start sketching the birds I see.

Have been told this will help with my identification skills !!

See loads of LBJ ( little brown jobs )

Field guides are good at telling you the difference between similar birds but being a 'rookie' to this unles they are side by side its of no much help.

Hi
Get hold of a copy of Trevor Smith's book 'Sketching wild birds', an A5 pad and a 2B pencil. Get your bins or scope and draw, draw, draw. Don't worry about finishing a sketch. Just draw bits of the birds you see. As you fill the book, your knowledge of the shapes of bill, head etc will improve as you observe and your sketches will get better. Your hand will be stiff at first but keep drawing. After a while, the shapes will flow. As Lars Jonsson said,

' The sketchbook is everything.A sketchbook must be free and without any ambitions, it must put no demands on you. There has to be many pages in it, so an unsuccessful sketch can just be left in place for the next attempt on a clean page.' (Birds and Lght 2002)

Just sketch. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back