• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Papilio (1 Viewer)

I have owned a couple of Leicas' for a good many years and consider them a superb binocular ( well, they've got to be good ' cos they're bloody pricey, right ? ) Reading an article in the Times recently a pair of Pentax Papilios' were recommended for their extremely short focusing capabilities, which make them ideal for exploring the hidden world of insects and flowers. When I saw the price ( less than £100 ) my bino snobbery dismissed them immediately - until I read the reviews by respected independent reviewers. What could I lose - after all £100 is what I regularly spend on a meal out for two - and if they are rubbish I can always return 'em. So Amazon had them on my doorstep less than a week later. Upon opening the packaging my original fears were realised, they looked and handled like a child's toy - BUT - when I focused them down to minimum on a painting that had been hanging on my wall for years I saw their brilliance, every brush stroke was crystal clear - it became a different painting. I took them into the garden and saw a hidden world of bees legs dusted with pollen, spiders beady eyes and the unbelievable beauty of a house fly wing - AMAZING. I then focused them on the green finches and tits on the feeders and the optics were remarkable for their price, not as sharp, crisp and bright as my Leicas' but at a fraction of the price how could they dare to be ! So, I am no longer a binocular snob and can thoroughly recommend these brilliant little bins to all and sundry, primarily for their close focusing capability but also as a good back up to a posher pair.

Everybody should own a pair of these: just sit in the garden and discover stuff.
I agree, I use a lightweight Cullmann 2902 tripod with ball head when I want to study something up close.

Attachments

• 1717IMGP0196_450X600.jpg
    1717IMGP0196_450X600.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 139
If you go to the Pentax Forum and type 'Papilio' in the search box, you'll be presented with 19 threads all dealing with this remarkable close-up binocular, with differences between the 6.5x and 8.5x models. In short, the 6.5 gives a wider, brighter, steadier view, producing an image which is easily big enough for close viewing. Mine is the 6.5 version and it's amazing!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back