• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The flying family - extreme digiscoping (1 Viewer)

yossi

This shot was taken a couple of weeks ago during my vacation in Eilat (the southest spot in Israel). The temperature outside was about 43 degrees C, and I was sitting in the shade, playing with my scope (Leica Apo 77) and my CP8400, trying to focus on interesting subjects. (what else can one do at those temperatures other than sitting in the cold water or digiscoping?...:)
The flying family was undeneath the big parachute some 700 meters away. The leica EP was set to ~x30 (2550mm combined focal length).
To my big surprise, 50% of the shots came out acceptable, and the object was not stationary at all, but moving quite fast after the boat in the sea which dragged it.
It's the first time I got such results shooting a relatively fast moving object with a scope. I was tripping the shutter with my finger, not with the remote, while panning with the scope.
Quite acceptable - what do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN4481f.jpg
    DSCN4481f.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 344
yossi said:
This shot was taken a couple of weeks ago during my vacation in Eilat (the southest spot in Israel). The temperature outside was about 43 degrees C, and I was sitting in the shade, playing with my scope (Leica Apo 77) and my CP8400, trying to focus on interesting subjects. (what else can one do at those temperatures other than sitting in the cold water or digiscoping?...:)
The flying family was undeneath the big parachute some 700 meters away. The leica EP was set to ~x30 (2550mm combined focal length).
To my big surprise, 50% of the shots came out acceptable, and the object was not stationary at all, but moving quite fast after the boat in the sea which dragged it.
It's the first time I got such results shooting a relatively fast moving object with a scope. I was tripping the shutter with my finger, not with the remote, while panning with the scope.

You're reelly starting tp push the lintis now Jossi. I think the colours have come out and the pic is sharo considering how fast these things move...

I think that is pretty good, this is the best I have managed good enough for a record shot, just!

Mick

Attachments

• filtered_MarshHarrier2.JPG
    filtered_MarshHarrier2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 257
yossi said:
I was tripping the shutter with my finger, not with the remote, while panning with the scope.
Yossi
Couple weeks ago "i saw the light" when i was trying to get record photo from Montagu’s Harriers which was nesting just 40min away from my home.First i was trying same way like normally when you are scoping.Then i suddenly realized that remote cable and lcd screen was totally useless in when you try to get pictures from flying objects.
It´s so much easier find and focusing with viewfinder without cable!

Mickymouse said:
I think that is pretty good, this is the best I have managed good enough for a record shot, just!

Mick

Mick,
You've got a very good shot. It proves that it is possible.

yossi said:
- what do you think?
In addition to your photography skills you must have an exceptional cherry Leica and atmospherics, which are just impossible up here. At +30°C (we never have 40°C) the air is always so full of turbulences that you can forget digiscoping of anything farther than 50m ;).

Ilkka

Initially i have Video scoped birds way back, both video and stills, trick is to keep subject in the middle of the viewfinder and constantly refocus, then started to take pics with the Contax U4R, this is when this camera comes into its own with infinite number of shots,

Attached cropped pic taken in April 2005 early morning in the Mongfrague National Park Extremadura on the Digiscoping holiday organised by Spainbirds and myself, Zeiss 85, 32WA lens, Contax U4R, Eagleeye adpater, cable release, Gitzu carbon fibre 1348 tripod with Gitzu video head.

You do have to refocus many times as the bird is constantly moving, you do delete many blurred images, but with perseverence, a method to track the bird, and a lot of patience, you do get some sharp shots

ATB

PAul

Attachments

• Kicx4271web600.jpg
    Kicx4271web600.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Ilkka,
Life ain't that sweet here...There are also air turbulences here, depending on the winds. The following shot is made up of two halves of full frame pictures. The subject - the underwater observatory in Eilat, about 2 km from the spot I've taken the pictures. The right half - taken with the D200 + 80-400mm VR lens, set at 400mm (600mm with the crop factor included), the left half, taken with the digiscoping combo (CP8400+Leica).
First, it shows the power of digiscoping, second, you can see at the digiscoped image that there are no straight lines - all are warped due to the hot air.
It was a relatively good day, as in other days, it looked as if I was shooting through a bowl of soup...not mentioning days of sand storms...

Attachments

• digi-tele.jpg
    digi-tele.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 170
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back