• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawick.. scotland (1 Viewer)

Hi
You did make me laugh with your reply. But please enjoy your stay while up here on your hols or working in the area. Have you seen or heard about the little book called BIRDWATCHING in the Scottish Borders. This booklet was compiled by the S.O.C. and well worth getting a hold of and best of all it's FREE. F

Hi
You did make me laugh with your reply. But please enjoy your stay while up here on your hols or working in the area. Have you seen or heard about the little book called BIRDWATCHING in the Scottish Borders. This booklet was compiled by the S.O.C. and well worth getting a hold of and best of all it's FREE. F

Glad to amuse you F, I asure you though, it is all true.

I have got the S.O.C. booklet and as you say it is excellent and although a free guide has been more usefull than some I have bought!

Another place nearby I have also managed to get lost in is Gordon Moss. Once inside there are hardly any discernable paths and the trees look the same in every direction. Do you know it? It is a very strange place indeed. Acres of scrubby trees dripping with lichen growing out of a bog.

Despite looking like an unusual habitat and expecting a few unusual sightings, we failed to see much birdlife there at all. In fact the most notable sighting was a row of 1930's ish cars slowly decomposing back into the bog!

Hi
Gordon Moss was the local dump when I was a boy and yes a lot of story's are told about the place. It was turned into a wildlife place not long after the dump closed. A few rare plants have been found there over the seasons. It's a place I have steered clear off frightened away as a boy. I believe that there is a new wildlife reserve at the bottom of East Gordon hill which is getting good reports. It's a community run reserve have a look sometime and so will I.

going back

Hi all thanks for the info took advantage of the good weather last Friday and went up the borders and with the kids being on there hols there came as well. Well I did not want the make the birding too easy! My oldest daughter chloe volunteered to be bookkeeper she recorded 70 species over 36 hours .1st stop was hawick riverside park lovely place. plenty of birds to be seen kingfisher, goosander, treecreeper, nuthatch, g/s/woody, dipper, swallows, heron, grey wagtails, and a buzzard soaring high above. We then moved on to alemoor res goldeneye, g/c grebes, and 1 whooper swan on the water. siskin, mistle thrush, pied wags in the forest but no sign of the crossbill.next stop was hopehouse in the Ettrick valley seen our 1st wheatear of the year and seen 6 in total plenty of buzzards and a few oystercatchers sitting on nests if that what you can call them. We camped in a forest and seen a crossbill just before sundown also 4 smooth newts was found in a puddle don’t see many of them these days Up at the crack of dawn to see other buzzard fly over low and headed to the grey mares tail waterfall stopping off at st marys loch redshank reed buntings and snipe seen next to the loch .had our breakfast at the grey mares tail while the kids knocked the ranger out of bed asking if the peregrine falcons were there yet! They were there but not nesting as yet as the ranger keeps an 24 hour watch on the nest via a camera. During our egg and beans we heard the unmistakable cry of a peregrine falcon and there it was soaring high above the waterfall. We climbed the mountain up to lock skeen stonechats, wheatears, dipper,and the star of the show the peregrine chasing meadow pipits also ravens seen on the peaks. We also seen mountain goats next to the falls All too soon it was time to head back home a mute swan in a large pond in someone’s front garden/field (its actually the place I am going to buy when I win the lottery as I have had my eye on it for about 20 years) was our 70th bird. it would have been 71 if we had seen a robin heard but not seen
Thanks again we are going back in may to beat 70.
as i do not own a £2000 camera the pics are not the best only one bird pic taken of a pied wag

we going back next week school hols again anyone been that way lately(helen maybe)
ps got a better camera this time
thanks

got 70 species last april anyone want to guess how many this time do not think as many not this time of year going for the same 36 hours ..............do not forget got the kids with us!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi
i would agree with every word about the Borders. I drive throughout the Hawick area every day an example of whats been seen by me. 6 Herons and 2 Buzzard in a grass field and just across the road a flock of about 500 finch's feeding in a field of Rape with Kale mixed throughout. Not bad for a mornings trip. F

Hi
i would agree with every word about the Borders. I drive throughout the Hawick area every day an example of whats been seen by me. 6 Herons and 2 Buzzard in a grass field and just across the road a flock of about 500 finch's feeding in a field of Rape with Kale mixed throughout. Not bad for a mornings trip. F

500 finch,s i could not have passed without looking to see which ones maybe a brambling or 2;)
are you not going to have a guess you should be close with it been your local patch

i live and work in scottish borders its great bit for birdwatching i live a mile away from peregrine and osprey nest! i have barn owls and buzzard and sparrowhawk and goshawk breeding around my house. I do websurveys with guy i work with on local lochs and ponds. we always counting birds that we see and putting on bordersbird news to go on the BTO atlas as we do squares for that. i also go up on langholm moor lucky enough to work with the team up there doing the peregrines, ravens and merlins and hen harriers its wonderful just seeing so many birds about the scottish borders. I go up to the tweed valley alot to see ospreys and the eagles up there just amazing to see.

barnowlgirl

i live and work in scottish borders its great bit for birdwatching i live a mile away from peregrine and osprey nest! i have barn owls and buzzard and sparrowhawk and goshawk breeding around my house. I do websurveys with guy i work with on local lochs and ponds. we always counting birds that we see and putting on bordersbird news to go on the BTO atlas as we do squares for that. i also go up on langholm moor lucky enough to work with the team up there doing the peregrines, ravens and merlins and hen harriers its wonderful just seeing so many birds about the scottish borders. I go up to the tweed valley alot to see ospreys and the eagles up there just amazing to see.

barnowlgirl

anything you see please stick it on this thread:t:we have been unable to get up there this year:-C

i had just yesterday about 100-150 common snipe on a small pond near Boncherster bridge i never seen that many before!! The osprey that someone saw at almoor near craik actually nested this year and fledged chicks!

i had just yesterday about 100-150 common snipe on a small pond near Boncherster bridge i never seen that many before!! The osprey that someone saw at almoor near craik actually nested this year and fledged chicks!

Remember following a badger down the road from hawick to bonchester bridge one night 1st live one I had seen and we seen the osprey at alemoor glad its doing well:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back