• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

International Owl Conference, 1‐5 November 2011, Serbia (1 Viewer)

CyberKat

More info here http://www.sove.org.rs/

International Conference on the Survey, Monitoring and Conservation of the Long‐eared Owl Asio otus
1‐5 November 2011
KIKINDA, SERBIA
1st CALL FOR PAPERS

Greetings Owl Researchers, Surveyors, Ecotourism Managers, and other Interested Folks!

We are now accepting abstracts for the 2011 Long‐eared Owl Conference to be held in Kikinda, Serbia. The focus of this conference is around two themes: 1) the science and conservation of the Longeared Owl, especially survey and monitoring efforts; and 2) enhancing community‐based programs, awareness, and ecotourism in areas having Long‐eared Owl roosts. We are planning an ambitious (and fun!) program, including 4 days of presentation/workshop sessions, and 1 day for a field excursion.

A key goal of this workshop will be to develop an international Long‐eared Owl Survey and Monitoring Protocol. This protocol will guide international/global efforts on survey and monitoring owls during the breeding and wintering seasons, as well as framing aspects for community and media relations. At the workshop, attendees will be formed into small teams, with each team working on a specific aspect of survey protocols.

We welcome abstracts for 20‐minute oral presentations and posters for the conference. Poster and presentation content may consist of topics relevant to the survey, conservation, public education, and ecotourism industry framed around the Long‐eared Owl. Please indicate if you are giving an oral or poster presentation; if giving an oral presentation, indicate your preferred time slot (e.g., morning or afternoon) and we will try to accommodate. In general, presenters should expect to speak for about 17 minutes, and then having a few minutes for questions and answers after each presentation. Speakers for invited papers will be given a bit more time. There will not be any concurrent sessions, so all attendees will be able to hear all presentations. Abstracts should not exceed 300 words, excluding title and author addresses; be in Arial 12‐point font. Please submit abstracts electronically to David H. Johnson ([email protected]) by 15 September, 2011.

Draft Schedule

Tuesday, 1 Nov:
10:00‐13:00 – registration
13:00‐13:10 – Opening and Welcome
14:10‐18:00 – Scientific Presentations – Owl Ecology
Keynote 14:10 – Wing‐tagging, sexing, and aging of LEOWs (Bert Jan Bol, Netherlands)
18:00‐19:00 – Dinner
19:30‐21:00 – Social Evening

Wednesday, 2 Nov:
09:00‐12:30 – Scientific Presentations – Owl Ecology
Keynote 09:00 – Netting, Ringing, and Movement Patterns of LEOWs (Denver Holt, USA)
14:00‐16:30 – Scientific Presentations – Owl Conservation
16:30‐18:00 – Poster Presentations

Thursday, 3 Nov:
09:00‐12:30 – Communities with Owls ‐ Advancing Ecotourism, Marketing, and Local Programs
14:00‐17:00 – Survey & Monitoring Workshop (Part I)
Keynote 14:10 – Next Steps in Field Protocols for Roost Counts of LEOWs & SEOWs (Milan Ruzic)

Friday, 4 Nov:
09:00‐18:00 Survey and Monitoring Workshop (Part II).
Keynote 09:00 – Scientific Literature on Long‐eared Owls (David H. Johnson, USA)
19:30‐20:30 – Social Evening
20:30‐22:00 – Concert

Saturday, 5 Nov:
09:00‐15:00 – Field Excursion (lunch provided)
15:00 – Farewell Poster Session – Authors will be present at their posters on Tues 15:30‐1700, with posters up during all 4 days of the main conference.

Contacts:
Overall Program – Milan Ruzic, Serbia [email protected]

Scientific Program – David H. Johnson [email protected]

Registration applications ‐ Katarina Paunovic [email protected] skype: cyberkat74 yahoo messenger: cyberkat74

Registration is 150 Euros. Single day: 40 Euros. Registration includes admission into all sessions, evening socials, concert, coffee/sodas/juice; breakfast, lunch and dinner, and lodging for 4 days.i

I am just the contact person for this event, so I thought to post here the invitation. On a side note, for now we are just accepting registration applications, but payments for participation will be accepted later starting the middle of June... so it is no hurry.

Whoever decides to come is more than welcome!

Is it possible to attend just the presentation(s)?
I mean, even 40€ for a single day is quite steep, and I have no interest in dinners, concerts and/or social evenings.

@Aahzmandus

Sorry because of the delay with answering your question, I was on a trip for two weeks and didn't had a chance to check this thread. Since I am just a contact person for receiving applications, I do not know an answer to your question so I will have to advice with Milan and David and I will send you a private message as soon as I got the info. On the other side, their emails are written above so you can send them email and ask them. Hope to see you at the conference. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back